Violet - Rhabdomyolysis, Update: Vet Recheck (#183)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In her run with her now, she is sleeping snuggled up against me. :wub: She does seem to have some discomfort, she's a bit hunched up when she stands and there was a little crying as she laid down :( but she settled down relatively quickly.

As far as what the vet told me, no signs of kidney damage so far, BUN and creatinine are normal, no casts in her urine which would be the first sign of a problem. Specific gravity indicates fluids are doing their job. The best news is that her urine is yellow. :clap Still dark/discolored, but not red or brown like before. Some diarrhea but she is eating.

The one worrisome value is that her CK enzyme (I think, it has to do with muscle) is still going up, but they said that's to be expected (normal is 10-200 I think, it was 400 last night, 1000 this morning).

They are hoping to switch her over from the Fentanyl drip to oral Tramadol this afternoon and maybe also get her off the Dexdormitor. The vet said she didn't want to get my hopes up, but there is a chance she may be released tomorrow. :hope We will definitely be erring on the side of caution though as long as she seems comfortable here.

So really the best I could have hoped for. She is not out of the woods on the kidneys, but all signs point to us having gotten her treatment in time. :goodluck For now, I'm just happy to he here with her. Something just startled her (she's a bit jumpy about sudden noises) so she's resettled with her head in my lap. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

best update possible - good job violet!!! yes, I remember the "hunched up" when bleu had her rhabdo episodes -- vet said there was bruising around her kidneys and it was visable to me when he pointed it out.....all part of it I think. but this sounds like a REALLY good update - rest well on momma's lap violet!! breathe easier, jen.....prayers are with you

Wonderful! You did everything right. (even though that first vet office turned out to be a false start) Your careful attention & quick response gave your girl a huge advantage. You helped protect her kidneys & heart. That's the most important thing.

Try not to worry too much about that CK. It's a value that can go up shockingly high very fast. Though seeing it go from 400 to 1000 looks bad but it really isn't that high & the increase really is to be expected. It could even go up more since you are still in the first 24 hrs. It usually starts going down after that.

Thanks re: CK. The vet didn't seem too concerned, but that's reassuring.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest MnMDogs

Great news, Jen!!! Regarding CK- Greg's Was close to or over 1000 the last time we brought him into the vet! His BP was also shockingly high

Retesta done at our home (what's money) were normal. The vet's theory is that he had been do stressed and anxious waiting he literally shook -almost vubrated- the entire time we waited, causing muscle breakdown.

So I think that number isn't anything to be terrified about. It's pretty sensitive with muscle injury - dogs and people.

Here's to more good news.

I stayed through lunch. She ate a big bowl of K/D and her pills and wanted more:

IMAG3196.jpg

Napping with mom:

IMAG3195-1.jpg

this is new info to me, as informed by a friend who's grey's blood pressure was really elevated: take a grey's bp when lying on thier side. w/ the large heart, greater blood capcity and location it's higher when standing. this is what was done for her dog and it read normal, i know a human's bp is lower when lying down. vet/vet tech people out there, have you heard of this????

Edited by cleptogrey

Yes, you're supposed to take a BP reading with their legs, and specifically the location you're placing the BP cuff, at the level of their hearts. This is true for all dogs and cats, regardless of breed. Scarlett's BP was through the roof standing at the vet's, but here at home, with her laying down, it was normal.

Jen, I'm glad things are going well for you and Violet. How very scary.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Good news.

That first pic is greyt. She looks bright and alert and curious. Not how I'd expect a sick dog or one on potent pain meds to look.

I have learned a lot from this thread. So sorry your dog has had to go through this, but I've absorbed a bunch of stuff I never knew before. I have to remember to look up CK. Greyt work--you made the difference.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04