Violet - Rhabdomyolysis, Update: Vet Recheck (#183)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news.

That first pic is greyt. She looks bright and alert and curious. Not how I'd expect a sick dog or one on potent pain meds to look.

Yeah, I was very pleased with how she looked overall. Drastic improvement from last night when they had her on Ace. I put the kabosh on that the second she told me and the Dexdomitor seems to be much better. Waiting to see her again now.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So at 5 they took her off the Fentanyl and switched her to Tramadol and Gabapentin, but she's still on the same amt of Dexdomitor. She's much more agitated, panting heavily, and vocal. Vet is informed and is going to play with meds, but I hate to leave her like this. :( Not sure what's going on, if she's in pain ir just stressed without sedative effect of Fentanyl. Her catheter is also really bothering her, but theyve checked it multiple times. She said they may try moving it.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She could be restless and agitated from the meds. When Princess had her dental in April, she was sent home on Tramadol for pain. She was restless, agitated, and whined all night long. I asked for something else the following day and she calmed down.

I'm sorry you're both going through this. You will both remain in my thoughts. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

So good to hear Violet is better. Hoping the vocal restlessness is just the Tramadol talking.

When Desi was in hosp with clots, they were giving him 150 - 200 mg per dose & he was a

basket case. I have found that 100 mg is his absolute limit before the pacing, panting, whining takes over.

Prayers for continued improvement.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

So she just had to pee really really badly. Like 5 million gallons. And then poop. And then pee 2 more times. I just left and she was resting quietly.

She's definitely still sore and uncomfortable but I'm relieved that wasnt what the restlessness was.

edited::: well - yep -- bet she had to pee and this made her agitated!!!!!! that's a good sign, right??? would they consider weaning off all meds???? when bleu has had episodes of rhabdo the only thing they have given her is iv fluids (big time) to flush system -- the vet thinking being -- as long as there is improvement then don't medicate a greyhound and number 2 - if other symptoms present that indicates a stroke or other they don't want to be medicating wrong - ie - starting steroids if then that is exactly the wrong protocol.....

Edited by teri_d

My last update for the night (are you guys sick of these, yet, sheesh?! :blush):

I spoke to the vet again around 9:30, Violet continued to rest comfortably after I left so it was definitely just the needing to pee that was making her so agitated. I confirmed that they are now taking her out every 2 hours so that hopefully won't happen again. They checked her catheter for the nth time and there is nothing going on, although she seems particularly sensitive at the joint sitting just under it so they're going to monitor and try to address overall pain issues and if she still seems that sensitive in the morning, they will move it to her other leg. So that just leaves the myalgia (muscle pain), which the vet agreed is still an issue. I can't even remember now what exactly she told me they would do, I just remember I was comfortable with their plan (good lord am I tired :eek), presumably adjusting pain meds. She had only been off of the Fentanyl drip for about 2 hours when I saw her so I know it's a process to adjust the oral meds.

Can't even remember if I already shared this, but they also started to wean down her fluids at 5 pm when they took her off of the Fentanyl. So basically all signs that she is continuing to improve. I call back around 10 am again to get the next update and hope I don't get any phone calls overnight. I think if we make it to that point I can relax, even if she needs to stay one more night to be safe. So any good thoughts you can send for continued improvement overnight are appreciated. :hope

Thanks everyone. Reading your words of encouragement and support while waiting to see her, etc. have really helped me.

Trust me on this, we want to know everything you find out.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Thanks. GT really rocks.

So doing more worrying than sleeping and I came across this pic I took of my carefree, adoring mama's girl and had to share. :wub:

Violet4thBday.jpg

And this one, because they're a set :lol

Violet4thBdaySmile.jpg

If she isn't the most beautiful stripey girl on the planet, well then this world ain't right. :P

Edited by NeylasMom

Continued good thoughts for the beautiful Violet! Jen, I hope this morning brings even better news and your girl can come home soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I love the inquisitive expression on her face, Jen. Actually I love all of the pictures of her...she's so vibrant and it comes across very strongly.

Hoping that cruddy muscle pain goes away and she can come home very very soon!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Violet can be the most beautiful stripey girl, and my foster can be the most beautiful stripey boy.

9628497551_9f0a839a87_n.jpg

He's GRA Peter. Gorgeous, but clueless.

Yes, we want to know every detail. I was following this thread all day yesterday while I was helping my family move stuff around at my sister's house. My cellphone would chirp for each arriving email, and I'd check and give progress reports to everyone.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Violet can be the most beautiful stripey girl, and my foster can be the most beautiful stripey boy.

9628497551_9f0a839a87_n.jpg

He's GRA Peter. Gorgeous, but clueless.

Yes, we want to know every detail. I was following this thread all day yesterday while I was helping my family move stuff around at my sister's house. My cellphone would chirp for each arriving email, and I'd check and give progress reports to everyone.

Oh my, he has gorgeous markings. :wub:

And it means so much that you guys are all following this closely. :blush

So on that note, here's your morning update:

Generally again best that we could hope for. She is still eating well, stool has improved some and while soft, is actually formed, and she is still comfortable and doesn't seem stressed being there (something for which I am HUGELY grateful). Urine is still yellow, there were no casts in it this morning, which at this point is VERY good news as it indicates there is still no damage to the kidneys. They have her on Tramadol and Gabapentin every 8 hrs and on examination this morning the vet felt Violet was comfortable/not overly sensitive to muscle palpation.

They did move her catheter to the other leg and she mentioned that a tech thought Violet came in already looking lame on that leg so she brought up x-rays to look for bone issues including osteo. I've actually seen her come up lame on the other foot after runs in the dog park and was planning to get x-rays on that leg to be totally safe, so I asked her to just do a single view of each front wrist and if there's anything suspicious on either we can look further so they'll do those at some point today.

They are going to wean her IV fluids down further over the course of the day and there is a possibility that if that goes well she could come home this evening. :clap I'm to call back at 5 for an update and at that point if she feels she is ready to come home, they'll just need a few hours to get her ready for discharge. So as hard as it is for me to do it, I'm going to hold off on going out there until I talk to them at 5. If she needs to stay another night to be cautious, I'll go in the evening anyway and just spend as long as they'll let me hanging out with her in her run and then come home for the night.

So that's it!

Jen, I've been following but haven't posted. So glad to read Violet is improving! I don't know if I would have even noticed anything was wrong until it was too late.

You're a great dog mom! Smooches to Violet!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly