Cody (Aka Collateraldamage) 11/19/2000 - 1/7/2013

snowjay

Our journey together has come to an end but it’s not a journey I will ever forget. I first met Cody at Shoreline where he was laying in a crate with a broken leg in a cast looking very sad. I took him out to the turnout and he was so happy he hopped around on 3 legs and then looked up at me with his big nose resting on my waist as if he was claiming me. It was hard leaving him at the kennel that day and I didn’t stop thinking about him the whole ride home and that’s when I came up with his name. Since he was new at the kennel we only knew his racing name, Collateraldamage, so I shortened it up to make Cody and I think it fit him well. Finally after some logistics were worked out I was able to take him home a week later as my foster on November 1st, 2003.

Our first day was interesting. He enjoyed the new digs, roached right way and also marked a couple of places in the house, one being my brand new Ralph Lauren comforter. Thankfully he was a fast learner and my comforter was spared from future indignity. He would only be with me for one night as he was scheduled for surgery to repair his leg in the city but we would be reunited after a couple of days.

He was very smart, he learned the Kong in the crate trick, “Kong time”, within the first week and after that he would wait in the crate and “call” for his Kong when he knew I was getting ready for work. As a aside about the crate, oh he loved that crate. Even after taking it down, but before removing it from the house he would stand or lay on top of it and then if I ever had a crate set up for a foster, you know he had to go in and give it an inspection nap. During his rehab we really bonded with all the bandage changes and physical therapy I would do with him. During that time I also taught him to sit and give me his paw – which he later would learn to use to his advantage.

The time came where I needed to make a decision of adopting him or letting him get placed in another home. There was no decision to make, Cody was already home not going anywhere and I officially signed the adoption papers on December 24th 2003. It was the best Christmas present either of us could get.

We would be together over 9 years and had many adventures and lived through lots of ups and downs. We went on lots of trips and vacations together, Dewey, RI and even just random weekend drives though the country. We were only apart for 2 nights over our years together. Cody was a really good role model showing other fosters the ropes of being a pet. The greatest up was being able to adopt his mom, Pretty, and reunite them. And unfortunately losing her was one of the great downs, but we still had each other.

Cody was my shadow; I couldn’t leave a room for more than a couple of minutes before he came looking for me. Sometimes I’d turn it into a game of hide and seek, watching him methodically search every nook and cranny until he found me. Other times he would chase me around the dining room table and always catch me! One of the silliest things he did was to stick his head in the shower every morning to make sure I was in there. Of course he’d have to test the water temp by licking the shower curtain and inevitably end up with a case of wet head. When my grandmother passed we made the trip to RI and I went with my mother to visit my grandmothers old house leaving Cody with my stepfather. Cody sat in the chair and stared out the window until I returned.

He was my canine alarm clock. Sure enough every morning at 5am he’d wake me up by sticking his nose over the top of the bed and poking me with it and kissing my face and hands. If I resisted and tried to hide, he would burrow under the covers to find me, I had to watch out for paws in the eyes! I’d like to think he didn’t want me to be late for work, but we all know it’s because it was time for breakfast. I could usually make it to about 6:45am on the weekends before I succumbed to his demands. Dinner was no exception and the whines would start about 15 minutes before it was time. I use to tell him “not time yet, 5/10/15 more minutes”. It usually didn’t help and he’d lick my hands, which was his signal he wanted something whether it be food, water, potty and most of all attention.

What an appetite he had. He was known for swallowing whole hamburgers off people’s plates when they weren’t looking. During a few of his garbage rummages he ate sushi, wasabi, burritos and god only knows what else. Thankfully he had an iron stomach and rarely had an issue with things he ate. And his appetite wasn’t just for edible goods either - he loved paper! Paper towel tubes were a favorite to destroy but he also loved to steal pieces of paper out of your hand while you walked through the house – he did well at filtering out the junk mail. One time he even put his stamp of approval, i.e. teeth marks, on an a greyhound art project Christine’s niece made. The craziest thing he ate, or rather licked was a tub of Mushers Secret. Yes you heard that right; he somehow got the cap off and licked the tub clean. For the next week his farts smelled nice, although he did leave a waxy substance behind on the sofa.

Walking on the beach was one of our favorite activities, but the first time he heard and saw waves he wasn’t sure what to make of them. His ears were up and he was very inquisitive and when they touched his toes I swear he ran about 100 MPH BACKWARDS! We all had a good laugh and they never bothered him again. Cody would do zoomies in the sand and dig hug holes when he wanted to relax. I don’t think there is a square inch of Dewey and Rehoboth beaches we didn’t explore.

When I would be preparing breakfast and dinner he would usually grab a few toys and bring them over to where he waits. It’s as if they were coming to dinner as well, I used to call it his dinner party. There was never a shortage of toys in the house, and while he had a few “regulars” his favorite was always the ducky. It’s actually been about 4 duckys over the years (sssssh!) but that was his go-to toy and one where I could say “go get your ducky” and he’d run over to it touch and grab it– and occasionally even bring it to me! Getting him to let it go was another thing.

And now lets not forget his aversion to shiny floors. He slipped and fell on the floors in my home within the first few months we were together and from that moment on all shiny floors were evil and to be avoided. It made going to certain places hard but we worked around it. Hey, we all have our quirks and that was his. I wouldn’t have traded him for the world.

From the day I adopted Pinky she was his shadow. He followed me and she followed him, it was like our mini little train. They would have some spirited play sessions and he taught her about sleeping on the bed and couch, which she has mastered.

We both lost our buddy today. Cody was my rock that was always there and would comfort me when I was feeling down. He always liked to be touching me whether on the couch or in bed but it was uncanny how he knew I was sad or upset and would really snuggle up against me while I pet the scruff of his neck. I’m certainly going to miss that but Pinky and I will have our own special snuggles now.

Oh, back to his name. It would be a year or two after he came home that I would find out what his kennel name was thanks to my friend Nancy. She had spoken to his old kennel owner and inquired about my boy for me and she found out he was called HOOT! It was actually quite ironic because anyone that had been close to him always use to say what a hoot he was. Over the years he developed a lot of nicknames, from things like Cody-man to doodle-monkey to just name a couple.

I could go on with a million stories about the Cody-dude. I learned so much from him and him from me. To say Cody will be missed doesn’t even come close to describing the hole in my heart right now. His waiting at the door for me when I came home, rubbing his head on my legs as he greeted me, rubbing his ears, grabbing and rubbing his big “monkey-nose”, his licking everything in sight, giving me his big “rump roast” in bed, flipping the throw pillows with his nose to make room on the couch, his bendy nose when he whined, jumping up out of a sleep when he heard the click-clack of the tv set turning off knowing it was time for the nightly walk, sprinting to the bedroom for his bedtime cookies, his wiggly butt when I scratched his spot and just his general goofiness; it’s all going to be missed.

Cody-doodles, you were always such a good boy, the best anyone could have. You were my buddy, my monkey… I miss you “bunky”.

Run free Cody, daddy will always love you and you will always be in my heart.

Cody (aka Collateraldamage) 11/19/2000 – 1/7/2013

5075229921_318f2cedb2_z.jpg

5075233549_f221d83ebb_z.jpg

8361486008_f5299f1012_z.jpg

5075975670_b7fa92e810_z.jpg

5075801348_e4f077d5fb_z.jpg

8360390485_7ae0d40f6e_z.jpg

8360390811_aea66f4ab9_z.jpg

5062682498_ff98053404_z.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tricolorhounds

So very sorry your handsome boy had to leave... no matter how long they are with you it's never long enough.

... run free Cody

Oh Jay, I didn't even know Cody was sick. What a character that boy was.

I am so happy I had the chance to meet him and introduce you to Andy.

Your boy truly was a Hoot! Take care Jay. I know you are shattered.

A life very well lived and well loved. Rest well Cody. :gh_run

I'm so sorry, Jay. I remember when you adopted Cody. Even back then it seemed like you were made for each other.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Beuatiful tribute Jay :weep I have no words of comfort...just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

A grand and heartwarming tribute to a grand and heartwarming dog.

My thoughts are with you and Pinky.

Godspeed, unforgettable boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. He was a special boy.

Godspeed Cody.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh Jay, I am so very sorry for the loss of your buddy and friend Cody. He was a handsome dude and he will always be in your heart.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Jay, a great tribute to a very clearly grat dog. It's easy to see how very much he meant to you.

Run free, Cody.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'm sorry to read of Cody's passing. Very touching story. I'm sure his brother Buck met him at the bridge.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

That was wonderful. I'm so sorry your boy is gone.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

What a beautiful tribute. So sorry you lost your best friend.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb