What Happened To My Confident, Impertinent Wizard...?

Another day, another Merlin-related worry :(

As many of you know, Merlin was diagnosed with heamorrhagic gastro-enteritis at the end of March, and subsequently with IBD. Since the first incident, he has been on Metronidazole (Flagyl) pretty much since the first incident, minus a week or two. We may be switching to Tylan powder soon to give him a break from the Metronidazole, since taking Metro long-term can sometimes cause neurological issues.

Well, I'm wondering if that's starting to happen. As many of you know, Merlin is a confident, impertinent, pushy, entitled hound who knows he is adored and expects his slaves to treat him with the respect and adoration a wizard is entitled to :rolleyes::P

Except that he is acting differently these days. He is scared of things he was never scared of before, and he is very jumpy. Even opening the freezer next to him while he's eating makes him jump :huh2:unsure I don't get it. He just seems so fragile these days :cry1 I know I am ultra-sensitive to anything unusual where Merlin is concerned (a gurgly tummy is the first sign that he's having a flare-up, and my ears are constantly on alert for gurgly sounds), but there has definitely been a tangible change.

I just think it's strange that he's become so jumpy when usually he's the most laid back dog ever. He used to like going to the vet, but since March (when he was hospitalized) he associates it with trauma and/or discomfort and HATES being there now. He is constantly pulling me towards the door to leave :( And the last time he was there, he got so agitated that it led to another, stress-induced flare-up later that day.

I am exhausted from worrying about my boy. And don't get me wrong - I know this is manageable and little to worry about compared to others here whose hounds have a terminal disease :grouphug I don't mean for this to sound like a "woe is me" post, it's not at all. I am just wonderfing whether it's possible that being on Metro for that long could be causing him to be so jumpy and scared of things. Anyone had any experience of this? Or am I being oversensitive? Could it just be that he's... <GULP>... aging? :cry1 He will turn 7 at the end of August.

At least some things are still normal....

IMG_0052-1.jpg

:blush

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Dogs here have taken metronidazole many times without incident. BUT I have finally had one who reacted badly. Since there is an alternative med to help his guts, I'd get him off the metronidazole now, give it 5-7 days, and see how he does.

I'm sorry your boy isn't himself :( .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kerry, I don't have any advice about the medical part of your post. I do believe, however, that we dog moms become acutely aware of how our dogs are feeling. If you feel that something isn't right, something isn't right. Trust your instincts. You are not being oversensitive.

Hoping Mr. Merlin is back to his old self soon. Sending you a hug across the miles. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Oh, Merlin :blush Kerry, FWIW we have used Tylan powder for extended periods of time with no ill-effects whatsoever. It is bitter so I fill plain capsules with it and drop it in the food bowl or dispense with something yummy that is GI-tolerable. Good luck with your Wizard :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Kerry! :grouphug

Merlin! :kiss2

No advice, but lots of good thoughts. Be positive!!!!!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No medical advice what so ever, but it's worth checking out. Personality changes were the first things I noticed in my dogs that turned out to be very ill.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I don't think anyone can say for sure it's the Flagyl until you get him off it and see how he does. I do know my vet won't prescribe Flagyl for my Sam any more.

You have to evaluate how sensitive Merlin might be to another med like Tylan...and whether Tylan will do what you need it to do. Tylan didn't do much for Sam--but then Flagyl never made a huge difference when Sam was having a diarrhea flare-up, so it's possible that Sam's problems just weren't properly addressed by either drug.

Good luck with Merlin. I know about feeling scared to rock the boat, even when--or especially when--the waters already are choppy.

P.S. My vet said that the bad neurological reaction to metronidazole often reverses itself once the dog is off the drug, but that it sometimes doesn't go away completely. It's possible that Merlin feels some neurological oddities to the point that he's getting nervous about everything.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am very lucky that Fletcher does not need to be on Flagyl continuously, and he's never had a reaction to it, but I would try giving Merlin a break and seeing if made a difference, since you have an alternative. I don't consider 7 old, although technically sometimes that is considered "senior".

:bighug

Kerry, Jamey has constantly been on metronidazole (2 x 500 mg/day) for about 1.5 years now, with the vet's blessings. We have found no difference in him except his poop is a bit firmer. With all the meds he is on for his osteo the vet did not feel it would hurt him to be on Metronidazole for the remainder of his life.

Good thoughts for the Wizard!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Kerry, I don't have any advice about the medical part of your post. I do believe, however, that we dog moms become acutely aware of how our dogs are feeling. If you feel that something isn't right, something isn't right. Trust your instincts. You are not being oversensitive.

Hoping Mr. Merlin is back to his old self soon. Sending you a hug across the miles. :grouphug

I was thinking that too. On the other hand, do you think he could possibly be picking up on YOUR worry? The two of you are so finely attuned. I may be off base, but could it be a vicious circle?

I hope getting him off the Flagyl does make a difference.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

First love and scritches to the wizard! If I may be so bold....it sounds to me like his energy has become somewhat unbalanced with all he has been through. I would think about accupuncture or something that could possibly help along those lines. Sounds like Bach flower essences e.g. rock rose and minimus especially are needed-even Rescue Remedy may help and none would have any influence on his IBD or other meds-they're energy based is how they work. I know its unconventional but this unconventional stuff has been very effective here in some cases. Just something to consider.:)

I was thinking that too. On the other hand, do you think he could possibly be picking up on YOUR worry? The two of you are so finely attuned. I may be off base, but could it be a vicious circle?

That thought crossed my mind too. It could be either. :dunno

I hope you get it sorted out. I know how much it sucks to worry about your pup so much. LOVE the photo. :wub:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That thought crossed my mind too. It could be either. :dunno

I hope you get it sorted out. I know how much it sucks to worry about your pup so much. LOVE the photo. :wub:

They all said it better than I could!!

:grouphug to you and our Wizard

Nancy

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Beau got sicker on the flagyl. He did well on pred and imuran. As he got better we weaned him off and only when he was better. Beau had gone down to 52.4 pounds. He was on pred for over a year. He started at 50- got raised to 60mg and we went down slowly from there. But he had to stay at that level until he was gaining and not flaring.Is Merlin on pred/imuran or budesonide?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

No, he's on none of those things. I remember Beau getting down to 52lbs :( I actually mentioned Beau's case to my vet a month or so ago when we were talking about options, and pred, etc.

Thanks for all the advice I've received. I am going to call my vet tomorrow and ask her opinion about this too. I think I am going to try switching him to Tylan powder, and put it in capsules. I bought some back in late March and used it exactly ONCE. Merlin threw up his dinner. But I'm not sure it was the Tylan, I think he was just still very sick at that time. Now we have things under control - relatively speaking, of course.

I am not a supporter of anything homeopathic, so I won't be going down that road but, regardless, thanks for all and any advice, I really appreciate it. It's certainly very possible that he could be tuning into my worry - he is my world (and I suspect he knows it :blush) and my moods are very dependent on whether he is happy, healthy, having a good or bad day, etc.

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Clay was only several medications for his IBD and PLE which included metronidizole. He did fine with the metronidizole for several months and then out of the blue, started having strange ticks such as head nodding and was acting peculiar. I knew to watch for neurological signs so after a trip to the vet, we took him off the metronidizole and all side effects disappeared.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest Lynnada

I don't have anything medically to add. Just wanted to say I think we all understand your worry. They can't tell us what they're feeling, so it's up to us and the vet to try to figure it out. We just know when they're not right and we do the best we can to make them well. All the best, and I hope Merlin is feeling like himself again real soon.

Clay was only several medications for his IBD and PLE which included metronidizole. He did fine with the metronidizole for several months and then out of the blue, started having strange ticks such as head nodding and was acting peculiar. I knew to watch for neurological signs so after a trip to the vet, we took him off the metronidizole and all side effects disappeared.

That's exactly what the vet said to look for - head nodding, walking in a funny way, losing balance, that kind of thing. Glad to hear that all all of the side effects disappeared once the metro was discontinued! :)

Guest Stripeyfan

When Kelly was really sick with his IBD last year, I was in a more or less constant state of panic about him, and he definitely picked up on it. Someone told me that when humans are stressed, our bodies produce a certain hormone which dogs can detect, and they react to it. So it could be that... but not worrying about them isn't an option so what can you do? dunno.gif I still get freaked out over things with Kelly now so I know how you feel.

As for finding the vet traumatic, Kelly went through the exact same thing - the first vet we took him to was worse than useless and we ended up visiting them about 20 times (and never got a diagnosis!). After that he HATED going in the car for months because he thought every time we put him in it, we were going to the vet. But he did get better over time.

If Tylan and Flagyl don't suit Merlin, what about trying oxytetracycline? Kelly was originally put on this because the vet we have now suspected he had SIBO. She's certain he doesn't have this now, but whenever we try to stop the ABs altogether he flares up, so we've decided he needs to stay on a very low dose (500mg/day) for life. Although oxytetracycline is not normally used for IBD, the vet thinks it is having an anti-inflammatory effect like Tylan or Flagyl would, and so far we've seen no side effects (he's been on it for 16 months).

grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif to Merlin and you. This is a horrible and worrying illness and I'm so sorry you're having to deal with it.

Edited by Stripeyfan

I agree that you know your dog and are in tune with him -- I know I am with mine too. I can pick up on the slightest problem. So go with your gut feeling on this one.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Hi Kerry,

Just reading this. Hopefully it's something that getting off the mentrondiazole can help - and that he does well on other drugs.

I do think all the trauma at the vet has an impact as well.

But others are right - you know your hound better than anyone.

Ironic, though, about him sensing your nervousness. I was just thinking the same thing today - after JJ threw up and was acting weird last night - my big concern today is that he is clingy and quiet. I was figuring maybe his tummy is still bad - but then I wondered if he was clingy because he sensed my nerves.

They have so much going on in those beautiful heads - but I agree you need to find out if it's a medicine-induced situation or psychological.

We are thinking of the Wizard!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Kerry, I just wanted to chime in about our IBD dog, Spencer. His IBD was preceded by a very bad and long-lasting SIBO infection, which in turn was preceded by a very bad hookworm infestation. Somewhere between the SIBO and the IBD diagnosis, he went from being a very confident, benevolent alpha to...something else -- more fragile, for sure. But I did find that when he gets jumpy on top of everything else, it's because he's having a flare of some kind. And since his stress *precedes* mine, I know it's not a reaction to me, and I doubt Merlin is reacting to you. We've had this situation for almost three years, he has been on Flagyl most of that time, and it's true that he seems better since he has been off the Flagyl. On the other hand, he was only taken off the Flagyl after his SIBO was cured and his IBD improved. I have discovered that what we've always thought were IBD flares were sometimes probably hookworm resurgences. He has a more or less permanent case of hooks, and from time to time they hatch and bother him. Sure enough, the flare disappeares within hours of giving him his Interceptor pill. His internist even said to go ahead and give it at three weeks instead of the usual four whenever it seems warranted, and that seems to be working very well. I don't know if that info is relevant to you at all.

So I just wanted to say that I think the fragility is as much a function of having IBD as anything else, and sometimes it's better than others. When they get particularly jumpy, I'd suspect some worsening of their underlying condition. Tylosin has been very good to Spencer, btw, and giving it in capsules is the way to go due to the bitterness. Spencer has also taken budesonide most of this time, since he lost too much weight on pred, and that has been a big help too. But try not to freak out too much, because this IBD trip is one of peaks and valleys -- they get worse, you tweak something, they get better. Being observant, analytical and responsive is the name of the game, and giving calm love to the dog. Consulting with a knowlegeable vet is priceless, and we are fortunate to have a vet who had an IBD dog of her own, along with an internist. I'm sure you have lots of love and a good vet to draw on too! You have my every best wish.

ETA: How could I forget B-12? Spencer gets an injection every two weeks at home, and it really helps with all things nerve-related! Just 1cc uncer the skin with a 25-gauge needle, and he scarcely feels a thing. And it's cheap! We get the bottle of B-12 and the needles/syringes from our vet.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).