My Greyhound Has Repeatedly Bitten Me

Guest GreyMa

Guest lsenters

Hello,

We are very interested in your story. We have a similar experience to share that may be helpful to you. How are thing progressing with your dog?

Best regards,

Lisa

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if this has been mentioned. But I would like to agree with those explaining why these situations are threatening to a dog. In that light, I would recommend reading the book The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, PhD. She is an applied animal behaviorist, and this book highlights the differences between canines and primates (we humans are primates), and why so many of the things we do are rude or even aggressive to canines. Many, if not most, dogs can be taught to accept human idiocy, but not all. And it takes time.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

You need to contact the group you got him from ASAP.

I agree 100%. The safety of your and your family has to come first.

I'll third that. ASAP

Totally agree about the causes of space issues etc. but IMO I'd think long and hard about leaving any dog -- greyhound or not -- that has bitten people 4 times and drawn blood in its current situation. Something just isn't working out for whatever reason and when you throw in a child that could be scarred for life if the next bite isn't on the back of her head...I'd certainly be on the phone to the group. It just doesn't sound like a good match. No harm no foul in saying it is not exactly working for whatever reason....and something isn't working.

I have been bitten (once quite badly and both required doctor visits) by two different greys over the years. Once was over a treat and the other was sleep startle (and he never did it again -- it was just he was so new). I cannot imagine having a single dog bite me or my family 4 times.

Thanks Pam--

I'm sure you (original poster) adore the dog--really! But a six year old cannot be trusted to reliably follow "rules" about a dog.

There's a reason many dog experts recommend waiting until children in the home are a bit older. If the primary child/dog care giver (I assume that's you!) is having issues, doesn't really help that Dad isn't.

Are you willing to be vigiliant 100% of the time? You cannot currently trust this dog around your child. Period.

My dog has sleep aggression. He's snapped at me more than once. But I'm not six. I accept any risk involved having a dog I KNOW can be snappish--but your daughter cannot make that choice for herself.

Please have someone from your adoption group come to your home as soon as they can to observe. Perhaps it really is a simple fix.

I hope I don't sound harsh, or like I'm the kind of person who would just dump a dog with a problem. Rest assured I am not--and I do wish you a simple solution.

Does George know you are spreading rumors about him? I can't believe George is anything but an angel lol. :flip

• 1 year later...

It has been almost 3 years since my original post and I wanted to share our successful outcome. Our local greyhound adoption group sent a behavioralist out to work with us. She felt that Jesse saw my daughter and me as fellow pooches and that he was simply trying to establish a dominant position in our pack. She suggested that we take over feeding Jesse (which my husband had been doing exclusively). She also gave us a pouch of Bill Jack treats and recommended that we encourage visitors to treat Jesse when upon arrival.

The two years that followed were fantastic! Our boy settled in peacefully and bonded with the entire family. He became very social and was the first to jump to his feet to greet visitors. When our geriatric pug lost most of her hearing and eyesight, Jesse became her service dog - leading her along through daily activities. I am SO glad that we did not give up and that our boy decided to trust and keep this family. The love that he has shown for all of us far surpasses what we have given him.

During our most difficult times, he has embraced the entire family as we've done our best to nurse him through. When he injured himself on a piece of wire hidden between patches of sod in his new back yard, he brought his injured paw to me and allowed me to bandage it. He valiantly battled osteosarcoma and a severe skin reaction to his radiation treatments yet remained loving through the extreme pain.

Sadly, we were all heartbroken as we laid our sweet, sweet gentle Jesse to rest days ago - just one week following his 7th birthday. I hope that our story will help someone else who may be going through difficulties similar to those we faced in the beginning of our journey.

Rest in peace sweet Jesse. Thank you for giving us the honor of being your family and for teaching us how to care for you. You leave us so much better than you found us.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You and Jesse were very lucky to have found each other and share such a wonderful life. I love the last line of your beautiful tribute to him.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thank you for sharing Jesse's story. Many will learn from it.

I will add Jesse's name to the Bridge Angels list in the Remembrance forum.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

In a large percentage of the incidents you describe, there is a common theme. The person bitten was in the dog's space, or the dog was startled. Reaching into the crate, or petting on the floor can cause some Greyhounds to snap or bite. Some of them have space issues, and those areas are his space. He had his own space since he was 6 months old and went to track training, then he had only a week before he had to learn how to live in a house with people and all of the rules changed.

This is what I was thinking. :nod

Forgive me for being blunt. You have been repeatedly bitten when petting him while he's in vulnerable situations: on the floor, or in his crate. The fact that you and your daughter were bitten on the back of the head suggests to me that you may also have been looming over him, or actually laying your head on him. This is not a sensible move with an easily startled or 'twitchy' dog. They really need their space and to be allowed some places where they will never, ever be bothered (unless it's an emergency, like when he's wounded or the house is on fire).

I would counsel you to read up on dog behaviour and the very subtle signals they will give when not comfortable. Have you heard of the Spoons Theory? It's an excellent way to explain why some normally sweet dogs will suddenly growl at you or bite 'without warning'. Unless a dog has been taught that it's not OK to growl, there will always be a warning, if you only know what to look for, and are paying attention.

You need to contact the group you got him from ASAP.

He needs to be evaluated by a vet first, and then a behaviorist.

As this has happened so often and he and you have got into a vicious circle, I tend to agree.

Him growling at you about the steak bone, that I would actually expect. Something as awesome as a steak bone is super high value to a dog and he's just not going to give it up without expressing his disapproval. (Keep in mind, you can absolutely train him to give up high value things willingly, but you need to work up to it).

No kidding! I have to ask, why did you give him the bone and then try to take it away? This will only teach him that you are confusing, indecisive and not to be trusted. As he already has trust issues with you, I most definitely would not be trying to take away a high value treat having just given it to him.

I've trained all my dogs to give up food items. I consider it to be a safety precaution for those times when they get hold of things they shouldn't have. At the moment I have a dog who will growl if I go near him when he has something particularly high value. While we work on that, there is no way I'm going to march up to him and try to take it. This would achieve nothing positive, IMHO.

It sounds as if you certainly love your dog, but that you have a difficult situation. Have you tried going to a trainer for advice? Have you contacted the group to see what they say? The longer you leave this kind of behaviour to continue unchecked, the more entrenched it becomes. Doesn't mean it's not fixable, but it might take longer. Meanwhile, I have to agree that you cannot trust a 6 year old to behave all the time as you wish, so for everyone's safety, I would make sure that your dog and your child are never left alone together.

I hesitate to recommend that you send him back. Partly because I do believe this is fixable (although you will always need to be vigilant with this particular dog) and partly because the chances of his getting a new home with this kind of history ... well, let's just say they would be greatly reduced. But your family's safety is at risk, and the decision must be yours.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

This is what I was thinking. :nod

I hesitate to recommend that you send him back. Partly because I do believe this is fixable (although you will always need to be vigilant with this particular dog) and partly because the chances of his getting a new home with this kind of history ... well, let's just say they would be greatly reduced. But your family's safety is at risk, and the decision must be yours.

This thread was started several years ago and if you read 5 posts up you will find that the Op's family was able to successfully work with this dog and make him a loving part of their family until they lost him to osteo just recently.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your boy was a good teacher and a good student, wasn't he?

Godspeed, beloved Jesse.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So sorry for your loss :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

How wonderful that you were able to enjoy years of love after being so uncertain. My sincere condolences for your loss.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I would get a behaviorist in to evaluate this. The fact that the dog is biting the back of the head is very worrisome to me. That's a killing bite, not a warning one. It's also not an easily accessible spot to bite in most cases, so it sounds much more deliberate instead of instinctive. If it was biting hands or arms, that would be much more normal, and I wouldn't be as concerned. So, based on the descriptions so far, I would not feel at all comfortable in giving advice on how to treat this. It needs to be looked at by someone who can see what's going on in person.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

I would get a behaviorist in to evaluate this. The fact that the dog is biting the back of the head is very worrisome to me. That's a killing bite, not a warning one. It's also not an easily accessible spot to bite in most cases, so it sounds much more deliberate instead of instinctive. If it was biting hands or arms, that would be much more normal, and I wouldn't be as concerned. So, based on the descriptions so far, I would not feel at all comfortable in giving advice on how to treat this. It needs to be looked at by someone who can see what's going on in person.

Please read the dates and the last few posted - the original post was from several years ago.

To the OP - so sorry for your loss. I am impressed by your willingness to have worked through Jesse's issues and keep him in your family. That is not the right choice for everyone but clearly in your case, you had the dedication to learn and train you and your family, not just Jesse.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

It's wonderful that you were able to work things out with Jesse and enjoy your time with him.

I am so very sorry that you lost him. He was much much too young.

Godspeed Jesse.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so very sorry for your loss. I am glad to read that everything worked out for the best. We lost a dog at 7 years old as well and it is heartbreaking.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

This thread was started several years ago and if you read 5 posts up you will find that the Op's family was able to successfully work with this dog and make him a loving part of their family until they lost him to osteo just recently.

Oh gosh ... I am so sorry. I didn't look at the date, just clicked the title because it was in the 'new content' list. Somehow I didn't see the last few before I posted.

Thank you for sharing the story of how he learned to trust and became a loving and much-loved family member. I am so sorry for your loss, and I am truly sorry that I missed the update before answering what I thought was a cry-for-help training/behaviour request. Jessie was very lucky to have had you as his family. So many would have given up on him.

Huge sympathies for your loss :cry1:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

You hung in there, all of you. I am so very sorry you didn't have more time together, you loved each other so. :grouphug

Godspeed Jesse.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.