Can't Believe This Is Happening

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please Please PLEASE send the xrays to Dr, Couto! A few years ago Loca was in a similar situation, without the break. The vet wasn't sure if it was chondrosarcoma (another form of bone cancer) and the radiologist thought it was. We sent the results to Dr. Couto, they said the radiologist mistook normal lung superimposed over bone for cancer. We took a second set, sent them to OSU, and same thing...cancer free!! If there's any doubt at all, please send the results to OSU. In the meantime, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you're doing the best you can with Dude :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm so sorry to hear about Dude. I've had 3 with osteo. The first one, Morgan, was found when his leg broke. There are no good options at that point. The stats are 5 months with amputation alone. 12-14 months with amputation and chemo. Several on this board have been through it. Feel free to ask questions.

A difference of opinion between the Radiologist and Surgeon may be a good thing. It means further info is needed for that clear diagnosis. I have not dealt with osteo but have with the broken hock and they do heal.

Continued prayers for you all.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Telepaffic hugs to you and your family, Chris. :grouphug

PLEASE send x rays to OSU. One of the farm dogs and his family went through the same thing, home vet insisted it was osteo. Sent to Ohio, negative, negative, negative. Dog is alive, healthy and happy.

I pray that this is the outcome for 00 Dude and your family. :hope

hugs, sue

Chris, I'm sending you a message. Hang in there!

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Regarding Dr. Couto's schedule:

He will be off clinics next week as he will be lecturing in Orlando. However, I would email the x-rays to both him, couto.1@osu.edu and the team, greyosu@osu.edu immediately. Dr. Couto sometimes checks his email on the weekends. Since he is in the country, he usually checks his email in the early hours during the week even if he is not on clinic duty.

They were totally swamped in oncology last week. Most of them were working 14 hour days. I hope they are caught up now and able to get back to you quickly. Be sure to indicate in the subject how urgent it is. Perhaps something like "Urgent: Is this broken leg due to osteo?" It can be very difficult to tell from x-rays if it is osteo once the leg is broken, but if anyone can do it the team at OSU can.

Jane

Saturday noon Pacific Time:

Talked with the surgeon and we are going ahead with the fine needle aspiration. Hope to have the results by early afternoon. I'm going to send the cytology report and the xrays to OSU to see what they say.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Continued thoughts and prayers. Since you are not feeling well, I can bring you chicken noodle soup for you all - just say the word and I am there! Hugs and scritches.

Nixon and the girls are sending more healing thoughts to you and your family.

Nixon is our first Greyhound and we have no experience with the dreaded 'C'.

Our Dobies seemed to keel over from Heart disease.

And Billie (14) and Bandit (11) are determined to just hang on to life and then keel over from old age

:rolleyes:

However, I think that you have made a very wise decision to send all possible info to this Dream Team at OSU.

Thinking of you all with :hope from snowy Ontario

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

In the waiting room to see Dude.

Fine needle aspiration was not definitive. It's cancer, but not necessarily osteo. Hemangio and fibro were the other choices.

We're probably going to go ahead and do the amp one way or another. That won't be for a couple days though

Will update again later.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sending a stream of unending prayers for Dude :hope :hope :hope , hugs of comfort for you, Chris.:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug Get some rest. You and Dude have a long road ahead.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

More good thoughts for Dude. I hope you have a good visit with him.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending lots of healing prayers, love and comfort to you and your family :grouphug

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Chris, you and your husband and Dude have been on my mind all day. I've read the updates and my heart goes out to all. I hope you'll feel better from your flu. Sending prayers for Dude and for the decisions about treatment that you'll be making.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Update Saturday 4pm:

We saw Dude for about 20 minutes. He was still coming out of the sedation from the aspiration so he was kind of out of it. But he looked a lot better than I thought he was going to! He has a rigid cast on his leg and seems to be able to get along just fine with it getting up and down and moving around the run where he's staying. He's drinking and eating. They are switching him from IV pain meds to oral, so he was a little uncomfortable - not too bad though. We felt better for seeing him.

We decided it would be better for him to remain at the hospital for now. With four other dogs and a very small house, it is just better for him. Plus, vets and techs are there 24/7 and there won't be any delay if something goes worng.

We're having the xrays and cytology report sent to OSU. Hopefully someone can get to them soon.

Try and rest and recover. You've been through a lot and you're ill yourself. Dude is being well cared for. Sending prayers for you all.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Awwww, big and gentle hugs to Kim & Callie and Chris & 00-Dude and please keep us all updated. Chris, I think letting Dude stay at the vet's while he has that hard cast on is a good plan for everyone, even though I know it feels odd to have him away.

I just feel so bad for all of you guys; I HATE CANCER!

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies