Can't Believe This Is Happening

No no no no no! Oh, Chris, I'm so sorry. Like everyone else, I'm trying to find words. God, I hate this damn disease. How was he before the break? It didn't seem like there was anything too out of the ordinary, am I right? Eating, playing, being his sweet self?

Everyone here is suited up for the Dubbel O Dude---even I am suited up!

We will be sending prayers and waiting for any updates.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Chris. My heart just sank when I read your update. I am speechless.

We will be here for you.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry! If it is osteo and you amputate, here are some helpful hints:

1) Be sure the amputation is done at a hospital that has a vet physically there 24/7 (i.e. an ICU environment). OSU has found that most deaths that occur in the 5 days after amputation occur when the dog is not constantly monitored

2) Be sure the vet uses Amicar (aminocaproic acid) for 5 days after the amputation. They may not have this in stock as it is typically only used with greyhounds.

3) OSU keeps greyhounds in the hospital for 4 to 5 days typically.

4) For the first 2 or 3 days, OSU keeps greyhounds doped up on a mix of fentanyl, lidocaine and ketamine.

5) OSU likes to stand them up the night of the surgery (they take the dog on a cart to the outdoors) to get them to pee. This means that they remove the foley catheter shortly after surgery. It makes more work for the ICU staff (cleaning and taking out), but OSU feels it is a benefit to the dog. They usually have the dog walking some within 24 hours. By 48 hours, they can often walk 100 feet or more -- truly amazing.

I would be happy to talk with you to answer any questions. My Joe had his amputation 6 months ago and his lungs are still clear.

Jane

614-523-0754

finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

Chris and 00-Dude, Keeping you all in my prayers. Poor Dude! it is devastating but know that we are all here for you.

Mimi, Sterling and Kelsey

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Sending more :grouphug and more :hope your way.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Adrianne

Thinking about all of you, and hoping & praying for the best. I am so, so sorry. I know how devastating it is to see your baby break a leg right in front of you. Please keep us updated.

Chris I'm so very sorry to hear about Dude. I know how shocking it is and how stunned this blow leaves you. If there is anything please ask. I'm thinking of you. Kisses for Dude.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Late Friday Update:

The vet called a bit ago. They got some good films and, though they haven't been read by the radiologist yet, her assessment was that there were no lung tumors. So there is a bit of good news. Dude has a rigid cast on as they couldn't get it stabilized with a soft one - and he kept trying to stand up, even all drugged! So he is now resting comfortably with some better drugs and getting a lot of attention from the staff.

We'll have a surgical consult Saturday. Thank you everyone for all the advice and info. I'm making a list of questions.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Also - anyone have Dr. Cuoto's info handy so that Chris can send him the info? It's been quite awhile since I have contacted Dr. Cuoto and I know so many of you have his contact info.

Dude - Guzzie is offering to be your taxi and service horsey for anywhere you need or want to go! Chris - get some sleep! Hugs, prayers and scritches.

Chris,

So sad to hear about the osteo....continued prayers for Dude. Words just seem to escape at these times....

Robin

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm really sorry to read this :( Thinking good thoughts for you all :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest RiverCityGang

Chris, I saw Cara-Lea's post on Facebook. I am devastated to see this about Dude. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Dude, and all your family, as you deal with this. I hope for the most positive outcome possible for Mr. 00 Dude.

Hugs -

Deb and the RC Gang

I'm sorry to hear about the osteo diagnosis. Sending prayers from PA.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

this info is from Jane

The information from Jane on contacting or seeking treatment/drugs from OSU:

The email or phone consult is free, however a few people have been told they must sign up for the website ($50) and submit the request that way. Dr. Couto tells me that this is not true. However, if you are a member of their website, please submit your request that way because it will automate things and make record keeping for them easier. Certain chemo drugs are free; you would need to pay to have them administered.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate. Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button: http://www.adopt-a-g...g/donate.shtml.

Dr. Couto's direct email is: couto.1@osu.edu. His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics: Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.