The Sibs Go Road Trippin' (Update 9/16)

Thursday we headed to Cincinnati, about 4.5 hours from Nashville, so Willa could get the first of two shots for Yale's experimental cancer vaccine. There are 20 or so clinics participating and this was the closest for us; we got on the wait list shortly after Willa's diagnosis and fortunately it wasn't long before we got the call. We'll go back in three weeks for the booster, and then all follow-up diagnostics will be done locally. The vaccine is showing a lot of promise for slowing or even reversing metastasis, so we're excited to be participating—and many thanks to Lauren and Tessie (RIP) for alerting us to it in the first place.

The siblings were great travelers, although Doolin was a little nervous at the hotel and didn't eat much while there. No accidents though, and I suspect he'll be better next time now that he's "been there, done that." I thought I'd share some pics from their adventure.

Are we there yet?

53146362283_cdc840b1bb_z.jpg

Uh, where exactly are you people taking us?

53146118189_afc7b509df_z.jpg

Finally!

53146080734_81e6bfdd13_z.jpg

All that snoozing in the car was clearly exhausting for them.

53146080749_7551378923_z.jpg

Doo and the sunroof, parked at MedVet Cincinnati.

53146080759_cb9088e21a_z.jpg

Vaxxed and headed home! 

53145286007_6465680452_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Fantastic pictures!  You both nailed "roadtrippin." 

Rocket loved roadtrips but would rarely drink while we were on the road, and was never all that interested in eating when we arrived. It seems to be a thing. He loved getting to a hotel and meeting people once there though. The hotel staff would usually make a huge fuss over him and any kids in the hotel always wanted to meet him. Middle of the night walks were also mandatory at hotels, because, smells...:lol

The boy hated Motel 6 though...I think he had higher standards. :rotfl

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Just now, Time4ANap said:

Fantastic pictures!  You both nailed "roadtrippin." 

Rocket loved roadtrips but would rarely drink while we were on the road, and was never all that interested in eating when we arrived. It seems to be a thing. He loved getting to a hotel and meeting people once there though. The hotel staff would usually make a huge fuss over him and any kids in the hotel always wanted to meet him. Middle of the night walks were also mandatory at hotels, because, smells...:lol

The boy hated Motel 6 though...I think he had higher standards. :rotfl

Yes! Willa barked once at about midnight and they decided they wanted to walk then. :blink: Fortunately the staff had accommodated our request for a room on the ground floor close to an exit and we just went out in our PJs. :lol  

Speaking of higher standards, Doolin had no reservations about eating the scrambled eggs from the free breakfast, just his kibble.... Goober!

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

:star :star Sibs :beatheart

But srsly, wot the flock with the dinos?  :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

32 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

But srsly, wot the flock with the dinos?  :lol

I know they were near Dinosaur World (will have to try for a pic of the giant T.Rex next time). But these are dragons, so your guess is as good as mine! It's very "interesting" around Mammoth Cave, KY. :lol But the caves themselves are incredible. 

20 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

I know they were near Dinosaur World (will have to try for a pic of the giant T.Rex next time). But these are dragons, so your guess is as good as mine! It's very "interesting" around Mammoth Cave, KY. :lol But the caves themselves are incredible. 

:lol Remember how askeered she was of the lions!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

6 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

:lol Remember how askeered she was of the lions!

:rofl Yes! Good point. T.Rex only from safe distance.

2 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

Yes! Willa barked once at about midnight and they decided they wanted to walk then. :blink: Fortunately the staff had accommodated our request for a room on the ground floor close to an exit and we just went out in our PJs. :lol  

Speaking of higher standards, Doolin had no reservations about eating the scrambled eggs from the free breakfast, just his kibble.... Goober!

I always made sure to have a really good flashlight with me and blinkers on their tag collars when we stayed in hotels. At a couple of the hotels we stayed in, there was nowhere to walk except the edge of the road, near traffic. The blinkers really helped. 

Doolin said there was no sign stating who gets the free breakfast. 

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I loved this report, especially Doolin doing his dragon impression in the sunroof. :lol:

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a great travelog.  Exciting therapy.  Scrambled eggs.  Dragons! :wow

Also, that photo of Doolin and the sunroof is calendar fodder for sure.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Doolin was a little nervous at the hotel and didn't eat much while there.  ...  Doolin had no reservations about eating the scrambled eggs from the free breakfast, just his kibble

Boy is training you for the next trip.  

Best of luck with the vaccine trial!  May Tessie's spirit guard you from dragons on the outside and the inside.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 3 weeks later...

Mystery solved on trip #2! The dragons belong to Treaure Trove Park, which looks, um, interesting. :unsure Right next door in Cave City is Dinosaur World, home to this guy.

IMG-3158.jpg

All went well with this second trip; old hat by now for the sibs.

53190836987_3889f2bac5_z.jpg

53191300011_398f93a838_z.jpg

Doolin was much less skeered (we even got the same hotel room!) and very sweet wondering where the vet took his sister. Whosagoodboi. :wub:

IMG-3165.jpg

That's it for our Cincinnati adventures! Now we pray for the vaccine to do its thing. :hope 

Edited by ramonaghan

• ramonaghan changed the title to The Sibs Go Road Trippin' (Update 9/16)

Holding Willa and her family in the Light.

Did Doolin get the motel breakfast again?

Planning a trip to Treasure Trove or Dinosaur World next?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

2 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Holding Willa and her family in the Light.

Did Doolin get the motel breakfast again?

Planning a trip to Treasure Trove or Dinosaur World next?  

Thank you. :heart Yes, they shared some scrambled eggs, of course! And...shh, don't tell them...but we have booked a FL beach house in November after Willa's last chemo. :goodluck 

Nooo dinos :shakefinger :lol

Doolin, you are indeed a varygoodboi :heart

Willa, you keep on kickin' butt, girl. We are delighted that you are doing soo well! :heart

A beech house? Yay, another road trip for everyone!! :grouphug

varygoodboi Doolin. :beatheart 

:goodluck Willa. :beatheart 

I'm looking forward to the pics of the Florida trip. :colgate 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)