Persistent Vomiting: Need Suggestions

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cancer.

They did an ultrasound. One kidney has a large growth, and her liver is shriveled. Stomach and lungs look clear. As the vet pointed out, though, she's got one good kidney, and you can lose about 3/4ths of your liver function and still get by, so we might have a little more time.

The vet is thinking the vomiting may be from pressure on her stomach. Since I've been feeding one cup a day, three times a day, and there've been just 4 hours or a little more between dinner and the bedtime meal, she's getting two cups of kibble in a short time period. I'm going to try two meals a day, at least 12 hours apart, with a cup and a half of kibble in each meal, and see if she can hold that down. (Twice-a-day feedings will work better with her meds, too.) The vet said she objected to being poked on the bad kidney during the ultrasound, but otherwise, she doesn't seem to be in pain.

But she needs to be able to eat without vomiting or discomfort, and we need to stop the weight-loss. (She went from 54.4 to 53.6 in one week--not a huge amount, but a change in the wrong direction.) So she's going to get cuddled, get treats, and--since our weather is turning nice for a while--some lying in the sun and being cosseted. When she can't or won't eat, we'll know it's time, and I'll be watching for other signs. Meanwhile, in hopes of helping with her stomach, she'll get some stomach meds.

I was feeling lousy this morning--pollen allergies--so I went back to bed after breakfast. (Also, the dogs were wondering why they weren't getting breakfast.) I woke up after 4 hours with Jane curled up next to me, her head on my shoulder. She's not going to make this easy.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Well, crap. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she has lots of good time with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Crushing. I'm so deeply sorry, Kathy.

I truly believe there is a significant reason that you and Jane found each other. She's in the very best, most loving and comforting place she could have landed. Her time living as part of your family will be her most valuable and appreciated time of life. :grouphug

I am so sorry to hear this. You and Jane will make every moment together the very best. Hoping you get as much time as possible. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very sorry to hear this. Your heart must be breaking. Thank you for giving her a wonderful forever home and spoil her rotten. Remember that she doesn't know what is going on -- What she knows is that she finally has a wonderful home where she is loved.

Guest goofydog

Kathy, I am so sorry to hear this diagnosis for sweet Jane. I just read through the whole thread and am so glad she has had your love and comfort on this horrid journey. I see lots of yummy treats in her future. Sending gentle hugs for both of you.

Did they mention pheochromocytoma? I'm sorry :-(

They didn't mention it, but she doesn't seem to have any of the physical symptoms beyond vomiting: good appetite, no diarrhea, no rapid heart rate, lethargy, etc. She sleeps all day (typical greyhound), but she's up and wagging her tail when I go to the kitchen or take the dogs outside.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

But she needs to be able to eat without vomiting or discomfort, and we need to stop the weight-loss. (She went from 54.4 to 53.6 in one week--not a huge amount, but a change in the wrong direction.) So she's going to get cuddled, get treats, and--since our weather is turning nice for a while--some lying in the sun and being cosseted. When she can't or won't eat, we'll know it's time, and I'll be watching for other signs. Meanwhile, in hopes of helping with her stomach, she'll get some stomach meds.

So sorry you got this diagnosis. Having struggled to get weight back on one of mine for different reasons, I wanted to suggest you add some high calorie supplements to her diet that may go down well. One is powdered goat's milk. You can pick up cans of it on Amazon and elsewhere. If her appetite is good, she should love this. Another is Dyne, a liquid high calorie supplement for dogs that smells a lot like cake batter. Again you can order it online, including from Amazon. You may also add vanilla Boost or Ensure to her diet. GNC also makes high calorie powders that may appeal to her as well. Good luck. I hope you have many good days ahead.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so sorry to hear the diagnosis :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Ah, I'm so sorry. It just doesn't seem fair. I hope you have many more precious days of Jane cuddled up next to you, knowing that she's safe and loved.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

They didn't mention it, but she doesn't seem to have any of the physical symptoms beyond vomiting: good appetite, no diarrhea, no rapid heart rate, lethargy, etc. She sleeps all day (typical greyhound), but she's up and wagging her tail when I go to the kitchen or take the dogs outside.

This is good. Make the best of it and her days with you. Keep in mind she has NO idea. Which is the good thing about dogs. You just love her the way you do and do what you can to make her comfortable in whatever direction you choose to head in.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Originally, I was feeding Jane 3 cups of kibble a day: one about 8am, one about 6pm, and one about 10-11pm. Then, mostly, she was throwing up at 5-6 am. (Sometimes the bedtime meal would be late, breakfast would be on time, and she'd throw up after that.)

Since the vet said he thought the vomiting was from pressure, I've changed her food routine: one-and-a-half cups at 8am, one-and-a-half cups twelve hours later. (The alarm on my computer is set for every 12 hours.) That's worked for us since Thursday. Apparently, 12 hours is enough time to get the previous meal out of the way, and one-and-a-half cups is tolerated, where two cups is too much. She gets tiny snacks about 6 hours into the 12-hour periods so we're not getting stomach bile throwing up.

She's always refused dry kibble, which I hope will work in our favor. I'm going to try substituting Ensure or goat's milk for the water at mealtime and hope we stay inside her volume limit while boosting her calorie intake. I'm hesitant to try any of the ordinary calorie boosters like eggs or satin balls or anything like that. She tolerates her kibble well, and I don't want to rock that boat. The vet has her on Pepcid and Reglan, as well as amoxicillin and metronidazole (the latter two because of concerns about the risk of a helicobacter infection). She gets the meds at mealtimes, folded into a slice of turkey lunchmeat.

She slept all day, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I started telling myself she wasn't feeling well. Then I looked at my perfectly healthy greyhound boy, who slept all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and I calmed down. I was sick Friday (juniper pollen allergy), and Jane slept curled against me all day. Right now, she's licking the daylights out of my pillow.