Persistent Vomiting: Need Suggestions

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy smokes. Those are good questions. Where? And when? And .... Hope that is the last one!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I knew there was something in there, good grief Gracie. Are you recognizing these socks as yours? Yikes. Like Jey said, hope that is the last one!

Jane, oh my goodness ...

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My thought too-surprised it wasn't recommended earlier.

I was thinking after the first sock came up maybe exploratory surgery (or something less invasive I'm sure) might be in order :( I sure hope she's doing better, poor Jane and poor you.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We did an extensive ultrasound after the first sock. The expert (not the in-house vet) said he saw something not very large that might be another something swallowed or might be some food. The inclination at that point was to let Jane's own reactions diagnose (which happened Saturday). They also mentioned the possibility of doing a barium study.

I'm thinking the barium might not be very helpful since the laundry isn't actually blocking the flow of food through her system--peeing and pooping is pretty normal, give-or-take a digestive reaction to the meds. I'll talk to the vet about it tomorrow. I need to see if he wants another round of Sucralfate to calm down her system. If he does recommend endoscopy, I think I'll call SEGA's vet and ask that office to do it. They have more experience, if something strange happens. At this point, I think she might have something extra inside because she's lying here, swallowing a lot, and that's been the warning when something wants to come back up.

Thank heavens for Care Credit. This is happening when work is slow, and I'm earning less than half what I usually earn. I had 15 hours last week, 12 hours the week before, 24 the week before that--low hours every week this year. And I'll be working late tonight to bring my hours up to 15 for this week's check. Next week will be light, too, but the week after might be more normal. (I'm a proofreader/editor. The company's project year ended December 31. They've started on some new projects, but I can't proofread until stuff gets written and typeset. I'm at the end of every project--not the beginning.)

I have Healthy Paws insurance for Jane, but because she's an 8-year-old and we had no medical history for her, they didn't offer me a very good policy. My 4-year-old has a $250 deductible, then they pay 80%. For Jane, they only offered $750 deductible (which I think we've hit) and a 60% reimbursement.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

We've gone a week with no vomiting and no new socks. We did sucralfate for a couple of days, but I don't think she really needed it. She's eating just fine--runs to her crate and waits for food and eats it all.

If she vomits, I'll call to set up an endoscopy. But as things stand now, I can't see calling a vet and saying I want my dog anesthetized and scoped when she's not showing signs of being sick.

32138792744_c56f03b92c_z.jpg

Jane at last week's meet and greet, resting her head on a nervous friend.

We've got another meet and greet tomorrow.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Wonderful update! Hopefully, that last sock was really the last one.

One pair, done!

This update is really good to hear!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.