Sudden Decline/death In 12 Yr Old Grey Withhigh Temp

Guest Soph4496

Guest Soph4496

Has anyone had any experience in sudden decline in health of their elder greyhound and death ? I am devastated to have lost my boy last night to an unknown cause. He was fine at 7 pm on sunday and by 8 was lay panting heavily and listless. He had a treat at 7 but he had the same treat before with no ill effects. We took him to emergency vets sunday night where his bloods were normal and his temp was 40.5 he had a morphine injection and metacam and he slept well after that. Next day he seemed perkier and ate a little bit then was very loose. We took him to vets tuesday and his temp was still high. She had no idea what it was but gave him antibiotic injection and painkiller. We were due to take him back in this morning but he died in the night lay with my hubby. I know he was 12 but the vets did not have a clue and it makes it so much harder when we have no clue as to what caused the high temp.

First, I am very sorry for your loss. Feel free to post a tribute to your boy in the rememberance section when you are up to doing so.

There is a canine influenza that comes on very rapidly. There have been large areas in the US affected by it over the past year or so. I would think that your vet or the E-Vet would recognize the signs of that if it's prevalent in your area though. The fever is one sign of it, but there are other signs as well.

Some info on it can be found at these links.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/respiratory/c_dg_canine_influenza

http://www.caninejournal.com/dog-flu-symptoms/

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am so sorry to read this. Know he was loved and was exactly where he wanted to be at the time of his passing, with family. A sudden onset of sickness like that, a flu theory above does actually make sense, but it's so tough to know. I recall all bloodwork was good based on your previous posts.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Soph4496

Thanks everyone. He looked just like your Kasey above! His name was Louis. The vet said he had a high temp which would not come down. They both said it could be virus, cancer, autoimmune or serious infection. Bloods were fine. Kidney and liver and blood count etc fine. They asked if he had eaten anything toxic, he hadnt. No bloating or abd tenderness. They struggled to check his heartbeat because of the panting. No gummy eyes or nose. Just so sudden from one hour to the next.

I have had two dogs that died in one day. Not together, of course. Both were fine in the morning. One was gone by lunchtime; the other by the evening. Both bled out and were tentatively diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma of the spleen/and or liver. One was only 7 years years old. They were not sick, at all.

I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I had a thirteen year old bleed out between home and the vet one morning. He was fine the night before.

I had a twelve year old in good health who started panting on a Saturday, and was off his food. He woke up panting a lot at midnight, so I knew something wasn't right. He did go back to sleep. I as going to take him to the emergency vet in the morning ( it was Sunday on a holiday weekend), but he died in his sleep. Vet figured maybe stroke or heart attack. Both these dogs were healthy, and not on any meds.

Sorry for your loss. We don't always know what happened.

Guest Soph4496

Thank you for your comments. I just looked up symptoms of hemangiosarcoma and some are correct but nothing showed in bloods and mucus membranes were normal not pale so I don't know.

I'm so sorry you lost Louis, it's hard when it's sudden and you don't know what happened. When you're ready, we'd love to hear more about his life.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Sometimes we just don't know why. I am so very sorry for your loss :grouphug

Godspeed Louis.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:( I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

To me, it sounds like an FUO. "Fevers of Unknown Origin" are baffling to both Vets and owners for years. I would guess that his fever spiked suddenly overnight and he slipped away. :(

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I am so sorry to read of your sad loss. Hemangio. probably, but I have known of a dog who died from 'panting' which came on suddenly where the cause was Pericardial effusion (fluid around the heart) caused by an actual tumor in the heart... age 9. They leave us far too soon no matter the years. Hug your hounds tonight.

I'm so sorry about your loss of Louis. It makes it hard when it comes so fast and you don't have answers.

I agree with tbhounds both in that the fever was probably caused by cancer and that it wasn't hemangiosarcoma. My feeling is that it was probably lymphosarcoma. My bulldog Bruiser developed hemangiosarcoma and he never presented with a fever. My greyhound Beanie however spiked a very high 106/107 fever very shortly before she was diagnosed with lymphosarcoma. The night I had to rush her to the e-vet to be euthanized she developed another incredibly high fever. I don't know what it would have registered because the goal was to end her excruciating pain as quickly as possible, but it felt like she was on fire.