Jeff Has Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (Imha)

Lots of healing thoughts coming your way and :goodluck that you don't need to do a transfusion!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff's PCV went up to 28% overnight, only a 1% improvement, but I'll take it! Even the internal med vet was expecting a call overnight about a transfusion, so everyone was very happy he was holding his own. I was warned it can be up and down until the disease is controlled, but compared to what might have happened, this was good news.

He has been eating and today I took down some more treats to mix in - those were a hit and he ate while I was there - twice! He seemed brighter than yesterday . . . at least when he was awake :lol

The tech who looks after him during the day likes him a lot - she has drawn hearts on his ID label taped to the enclosure wall, and written below "Give lots of love". She told me she sprinkles crumbled Bill Jack treats on his food - no wonder he's eating for her!

As was the case yesterday, he slept a lot of the time I was there, which was fine. Took him for a walk, outputs pretty much the same as yesterday.

One of the vets should call around dinner time with another update - fingers crossed his values are still stable / improving.

Thank you all very much for the prayers and good thoughts, they are helping us both.

I am keeping you and Jeff in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad to see his improvement!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest goofydog

Mary, I am so sorry to just now see this. You and Jeff will be in my thoughts and I'm sending healing white light for him to turn the corner and start feeling better and improving. {{{{{{{}}}}}}

:hope Hope he continue to improve and can come home soon.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Great update! Hope the news continues to be good.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:grouphug for both of you

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Vet called - Jeff's PCV remains stable at 27% which he was pleased with - they checked 3 times through the day, and it hovered steadily in that area. He said this meant the destruction and production were in balance. This is day 3. Hopefully soon we will see the percentage start to increase.

Even though the good news is guarded, I think finally I may be able to sleep tonight. Thank you all for your support.

As I was arriving this morning Jeff was just heading out with a kennel attendant for a walk so I went with them. He is looking thinner, though he is eating. I didn't think he looked as good as he did yesterday. Might be stress although he seems to sleep a lot of the time. He is eating and I make sure there is a stock of goodies to mix with his food. On the up side, his poop isn't as dark and the last bit was formed, so that at least seemed good.

His PCV is still 27 - 28%. Vet was hoping this morning that there might have been a rise overnight since he had been stable for 24h, but so far no change. At least he isn't losing ground. I overheard someone ask the vet if Jeff would be staying over the weekend and the answer was yes. No surprise there, as I was told he wouldn't be sent home until there had been an increase with no backsliding for 24 - 48h.

As he usually does, he slept most of the time I was there. About 20 or so minutes before I had to leave they brought food, and he ate most of it. Afterwards he wanted to cuddle and eventually settled down with his head in my lap. Felt bad when I finally had to leave.

Vet will call with an update this evening, and I will ask him about Jeff's weight and general appearance. Maybe it is to be expected given how anemic he is, but I would like to hear the vet's opinion.

Hopefully there will have been some improvement during the day today. Thank you for your ongoing concern and support.

Mary, has there been any further discussion about Jeff receiving a transfusion? It's good that he is interested in those great noms you are providing. Keeping you and Jeff in my thoughts. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Mary, has there been any further discussion about Jeff receiving a transfusion? It's good that he is interested in those great noms you are providing. Keeping you and Jeff in my thoughts. :grouphug

Not as long as his % has remained steady. If it drops I am sure they will talk to me about it - not sure what the threshold is. Really hoping it may have gone up today! I was thinking after I posted that some of the weight loss might be the Pred, but I will ask about it regardless.

Just as an FYI--a transfusion (I'm assuming they would use packed red cells) wouldn't make the PCV % improve too much--perhaps a few %'s. At 28% Jeff really isn't in the danger zone. Just as an example my girl didn't get transfused until she hovered around the 15% area. I can only assume that's why his vet is just monitoring his red cell count at this point.