Jeff Has Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (Imha)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just took him in for a check (needed for my peace of mind). 33%

Not eating much though and just vomited so need to touch base with the vet. Barring any setback though, we seem to finally really be on the road to recovery.

Thank you again, everyone, for your wonderful support through all the ups and downs.

Wonderful news, less the vomiting! So glad that Jeff is home.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Yeah! Hopefully the vomiting is just that dang Cyclosprine. Could they give Cerenia? That stuff is magic as far as I'm concerned.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

so glad Jeff is home where he belongs. I'm sure he is too! Did Vonnie miss him?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Did Vonnie miss him?

Not at all - she totally loved being an only dog. She did, however, give him a very concerned once-over when he came home, so who knows!

I put Jeff back on Pepcid tonight and whether because of that or because he was hungry or because I mixed rice and a bit of kibble with water and some very primo canned food I don't know. But I am thrilled that he ate. Now that food just needs to follow the conventional route out.

Left a message earlier with the vet, waiting for callback regarding anything extra to do / give to help him keep food down.

So glad to see he's home. I hope you get the nausea/vomiting thing sorted out quickly.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

So glad to see he's home. I hope you get the nausea/vomiting thing sorted out quickly.

Me, too!!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Continued good thoughts for Jeff.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Jeff has now lost 12 pounds since this started. He is such a bag of bones I have put a light coat on the last couple of days when we go out, partly because it is cooler, partly because I don't want people asking about him. Or calling Animal Control.

Apart from the Pred, a big part of the problem is that the Cyclosporine is making him vomit. The internal med vet has been holding off treatment for this as it is supposed to resolve in a few days (this is day 4) but my regular vet agreed with me that intervention would be good at this point, gave him a shot of Cerenia plus 4 days worth in tablet form to bring home. Hopefully by the time it's done his system will have adjusted to the drugs and handle them better.

She also gave me a case of I/D Digestive Care. I know Science Diet isn't well regarded here, but they have revamped their diets, and right now the most important thing is for him to eat and keep it down. If this works and gets us over the hump I will consider it wonderful.

The good news is that his PCV is 34 - 35% and his serum no longer looks jaunticed, so he is gaining ground in spite of all the digestive issues.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Wow 12 lbs is a lot of weight to lose. I hope the Cerenia and pills resolve his vomiting and the ID Digestive Care helps him.

Hugs and glad his PCV is good.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

This is exactly why I always want a few extra pounds on my dogs. My Brindle was hospitalized for 2 weeks back in 2000. She lost 16 lbs. I cried when I first saw her out of the hospital environment.

Now I'm not talking fat, and of course for some dogs extra weight just doesn't seem to get put on. But I don't worry about seeing all their ribs. Just as long as they still have a decent tuck.

Sending good thoughts for Jeff and for you, its incredible hard to see them so sick :grouphug:grouphug

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

I really hope the meds help him keep food down. Poor guy :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Jeff is eating the canned I/D but not enough of it. I'm going to get some I/D kibble tomorrow. Hopefully having something crunchy in there will help, and give him more concentrated nutrition per bite.

I am also going to search the diet and nutrition forum for home made bland food recipes, but if anyone has one that has worked well for them, please post it or PM me.

Thank you so much!

Does he have any dietary restrictions at this point? Or just whatever will work despite his nausea?

Either way, I really prefer a bland diet of fish and a combo of mashed white and sweet potato over the old chicken and rice. Any inexpensive white fish like cod, tilapia, etc will work. If he'll eat them, you can also mix in some scrambled eggs for extra protein (have you tried just cooking him eggs?). Maybe mix in a small amount of coconut oil if he likes the taste or cook the eggs in the oil.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Does he have any dietary restrictions at this point? Or just whatever will work despite his nausea?

Either way, I really prefer a bland diet of fish and a combo of mashed white and sweet potato over the old chicken and rice. Any inexpensive white fish like cod, tilapia, etc will work. If he'll eat them, you can also mix in some scrambled eggs for extra protein (have you tried just cooking him eggs?). Maybe mix in a small amount of coconut oil if he likes the taste or cook the eggs in the oil.

I haven't tried fish so that would be novel for him - thank you for the suggestion.

He was eating part of an egg cooked in coconut oil every day (routine part of the meal) but didn't want it after he came home from the hospital so I stopped offering it. I was actually thinking maybe I should try again, so thank you for the suggestion / reinforcement.

I'm not sure exactly what is stopping him from eating more. He's keen when I offer the I/D so I don't think it's an appeal thing, maybe his stomach can just handle so much at a time. I can feed him between meals, and am going to try that as well, just have to watch the timing because his meds need to be on an empty stomach.

What does he do when you offer the food? He's eating some I take it, but not finishing? Does he eat slowly or quickly? Does he back away or react when he first smells it?

More frequent small meals is definitely a good idea if he will go for it and you can manage with his med schedule. I hope you can figure something out soon. Poor guy needs to put some weight back on!

He's keen initially, eats continuously, then stops. My sense is the appeal is fine, but he gets tired of eating it, or he's full. He does show some interest when people dinner comes out a short time later, but it isn't suitable. More frequent meals and I definitely think more variety might be the key.

And yes, he definitely needs to put some weight back on, at the moment I think he's still losing and this has got to stop.

Don't know what all meds they have given you, but if you don't have any ondansetron yet, see if you can get some. Anti nausea. It's a tiny pill that you can just poke into the back of his mouth; for humans, meant to be dissolved under the tongue rather than swallowed.

Really varies as to what a nauseous dog or one who doesn't feel much like eating will find attractive. We made smorgasbord plates for Batman and Joseph during those times -- blob of chicken liver here, dollop of tripe next to it, then maybe a lump of scrambled egg, etc. -- and fed several small meals a day. Anything the people were eating that they expressed interest in, they got, as long as it was safe for dogs. Some favorites during hard times were spaghettios, Tripett (canned green tripe), scrambled eggs, Honey Nut Spoon Sized Shredded Wheat, Lean Cuisine chicken with sesame noodles :lol , and almost anything else with honey or molasses or vanilla ice cream drizzled on top. We never had good results from mashed potatoes but Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, soft-cooked barley, egg noodles, soft-cooked steel-cut oats have all gone through the system pretty well.

Hugs and best thoughts for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Manuka honey often worked for us to stimulate an appetite and/or help a nauseous hound. I think you have Seamie's list, I wonder if Jeff would be interested in some Ensure, especially between meals? :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.