Jeff Has Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (Imha)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news to report on Daisy. Bone marrow biopsy shows no cancer so it is definitely immune mediated annemia. Started on her Prenisolone this am and I have another medication Leflunomide I won't be able to fill until tomorrow at Costco as it's cheapest there and all pharmacies are closed today anyway due to the Holiday. Internal Vet does continue to warn me that not all dogs respond to immunosupressant therapy and we have a long road to go but she is doing better. PCV was up to 16 when she went in for her bone marrow biopsy so that was good but still of course not great. I also found a link when I was doing research on a human transfactor which I order and she started last night. I know that K-9 Medicinals makes their K9 Immunity Plus that has transfactors in it and is recommended for dogs with cancer but Daisy has lots of food allergies and their version is chewables that have chicken flavorings, etc and Daisy can't have chicken so I felt this was a better option for her. There are rave reviews about the product bringing the immune system back into balance and dogs being able to be taken off all immunosuppressant medications so I am hopeful that will help turn this around faster as well. Again thank you for your support. I'll keep you posted. I'm just hoping this helps and we don't have to do any more transfusions down the road and she tolerates the Prednisolone and Leflunomide and it turns this around. Anyone familiar with Leflunomide?

Anyone familiar with Leflunomide?

I've just started using this for my boy, who has a different autoimmune disease. We've only been using it for 3 weeks, so not too much to report yet, but we haven't had any horrendous side effects so far; a little pickiness over food and some diarrhoea but nothing too bad. It takes up to two months or so to build up to maximum immune-suppressing levels, at which point hopefully we can reduce the prednisolone. My boy is also on colostrum (transfer factors). I had very good results with this with my own autoimmune issues, but had to take at very high doses for about 4 months and then reduced to a maintenance dose. Definitely good stuff, though not a quick fix.

Best wishes to you and Daisy, and also to Jeff and his mum - autoimmune disorders are not for the faint-hearted.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I take a medication myself that's in the same class of drugs--the only side effect I experience is an stomach ache--I must take it with food. I would imagine your hound may experience much of the same.

Fingers crossed your medication protocol addresses the imha. <3