Jeff Has Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (Imha)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening PCV is 27% - small up-tick, but up. Cell regeneration is 4.7%, so his marrow is working fine. Hopefully PCV is up further tomorrow. Vet said it was too soon for the Cyclosporine to have any effect, that it would take a few days to reach a therapeutic level in Jeff's system, so whatever good we are seeing is due to the original drugs.

Much better news than last night, and hopefully points to more good news tomorrow morning!

Last evening's update was very discouraging, thank you for the ongoing comfort and support. Hopefully Jeff shows further signs of progress tomorrow.

Much better. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Continued good thoughts

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:hope Hoping he continues to improve.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

The good news is . . . Jeff is up to 30% YAY!!! Hopefully this means he's turned the corner and his PCV will keep rising now.

But for the first time, he vomited this morning. Vet believes this is due to the Cyclosporine. I asked about stomach protectants - Jeff is already on Famotidine - he said it wasn't a stomach acid issue, but a drug reaction. They will monitor him today, and if he doesn't vomit again then they will send him home. For many reasons, I hope that happens!! I don't know if an anti-emetic is a possibility if the vomiting continues. The vet is good but has a pretty terse communication style.

No information about how he is monitored once home - that will presumably come at discharge.

I also want to know how long he needs to stay on the Cyclosporine, i.e., what the indicators are to allow the start of weaning down.

So I am thrilled about the PCV%, but kind of concerned about the drugs.

Mary, that is a big improvement in the numbers. I am sure the medication is finally kicking in. Cyclosporine can be tough on the stomach so hopefully you can get something that will coat his stomach in addition to the Famotidine. Jeff may be feeling nausea causing the vomiting.

I've been reading all your updates and this is such a promising change for him. My fingers are crossed and all my good wishes with you that Jeff can come home.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

This is great news! :clap Does he think the improvement is in part due to the Cyclosporine or is there a chance you could just take him off of that drug since it's not agreeing wtih him? Either way, I hope he is able to come home today. :goodluck

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This is great news! :clap Does he think the improvement is in part due to the Cyclosporine or is there a chance you could just take him off of that drug since it's not agreeing wtih him? Either way, I hope he is able to come home today. :goodluck

Not sure - Jeff started on it yesterday, and from what the vet said it takes a few days for it to reach a therapeutic level in the system.

And I don't know how quickly he can come off it once started - asap I hope, as one of the side effects is exacerbating the growth of even undetected neoplasia :(

Hopefully you have to be on it a lot longer than Jeff will be for that to happen.

I am so glad that Jeff's numbers are up and hope he does not have to stay on Cyclosporine long.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

hoping Jeff continues to get well :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Jeff's PCV is 28% this afternoon. Vet said he is not concerned, that there can be small variations in the test, and he is confident Jeff is now on an upward trend. He offered to send him home tonight, recheck in a week.

After all the up and down, I am not comfortable with this, so poor Jeff will stay one more night. If his value tomorrow is steady or preferably up, I will go get him right after the call. And I might have my regular clinic run a count in a couple of days, just to be on the safe side.

I asked about how long he'd have to be on the Cyclosporine, and it will be a couple of weeks. I'll be very glad to see the last of it!

So for now, fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

Totally understand. I almost left Violet for an extra night when she was hospitalized for her rhabdo incident, but in the end they assured me she was fine to go home and we could just recheck urine with my regular vet later in the week. So I ended up taking her home and she just passed out she was so exhausted form the ordeal and happy to be home. One more night to be safe and for your own piece of mind makes sense to me. Hoping the AM report is great and you can bring him home then.

My regular vet spoke with the internal med vet a short time ago, and he concurs that Jeff can come home and we talked in some detail about why, so I feel more confident now.

He said if I wanted to run Jeff down for a quick blood test tomorrow that would be fine, so I am going to leave shortly to get him. It will be soooooo good to have him home and I know it will make him happy too. :beatheart

My regular vet spoke with the internal med vet a short time ago, and he concurs that Jeff can come home and we talked in some detail about why, so I feel more confident now.

He said if I wanted to run Jeff down for a quick blood test tomorrow that would be fine, so I am going to leave shortly to get him. It will be soooooo good to have him home and I know it will make him happy too. :beatheart

Oh yeah! Glad he can come home sooner and you are feeling confident about it. I think coming home will only help him heal faster. :nod

So happy to see that Jeff is coming home to his own bed!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So happy to hear he is doing better and coming home!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.