Jeff Has Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (Imha)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, before offering a meal try offering the Manuka honey. I usually started with 1-2 teaspoons and worked up to a tablespoon, it has a strong taste and there may be "like" curve.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

How's he doing? Eating any better with the honey on board? :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jeff barked to go out at 2am - diarrhea, two rounds. More in the morning. Calm since then, so the urgency at least has past. The only change was the honey so contrary to what everyone including me expected, it seems not to have agreed with him.

On the up-side, in spite of the above he ate very well today - didn't give him a lot in the morning because I didn't want to overload his system, but he ate a decent mid-afternoon snack and for dinner ate a can of I/D with a cup of the kibble. Together that gave him 610 calories in one meal and he seemed to like the I/D kibble mixed in with the wet. If I can get the equivalent of that x 3 into him in the course of a day, he will be up toward where he needs to be.

We finish the Cerenia in 2 days, hopefully he'll continue to be fine after that.

Hmm, that might be an unusual response to the honey, maybe cleaning out before settling? We have never had that response to it. In any event, it is encouraging that Jeffie ate well and your plan with the I/D+kibble sounds good. :goodluck:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff had a recheck with the internal med vet today, and it's almost all good news!

His PCV% is up to 44% (it was 35% a week ago)! Review of his red blood cells shows his marrow is back to producing new cells at a normal 1% rate, and his white cell count is nearly normal as well (I don't have any numbers except for his PCV).

Only thing he is concerned about is Jeff's weight and the amount of muscle he's lost. In spite of the fact that Jeff is now eating like a horse, he's down another pound from a week ago to 62.6 lbs, which given the volume of food, has to be the Pred. He should be 76 - 78 lbs, but has been losing weight steadily.

Jeff finished the Cyclosporine yesterday morning, and we reduced the Imuran and Pred yesterday per the prescribed step-down process. Jeff is supposed to be at this new level for 2 weeks, but the vet wants to see him again in a week and if the bloodwork looks good he'll step him down again a week earlier than he otherwise would. Hope that will be possible!

Thank you all so much for all your help and support - I know there is a long way to go, but things already look *a lot* brighter!

Edited by Rickiesmom

Great update! :clap

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so happy for you...you must be so relieved. I really really hope he continues to do well and gain weight. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

It is a great update and I home that he continues to gain weight.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

So happy to see this update! Thank you :grouphug Good job Jeff.

Wonderful news! His weight should pick up as his pred. is decreased. Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What a fantastic update! I hope he gains some weight soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest LazyBlaze

So pleased that Jeff's condition is improving. Everything crossed that he can now start to gain weight. What a brave guy, give him a hug from me.

Guest MeAndMouse

Glad to hear he's getting better!

I just wanted to mention that Mouse is recovering from IMHA and had also lost a lot of weight. It's at least fairly stable now, but I can't get her to gain anything yet. She has a huge appetite, but no weight gain.... she's still on 40mg of Pred a day though. Like mentioned above, I hope Jeff starts to gain weight now that his Pred has decreased.

• 1 month later...

Rickie's Mom, I have a question about Jeff. My girl Daisy has just been diagnosed with IMHA. Her platelet count was down to a 6 and she has had two blood transfusions, the first Friday, the second Saturday. She is only on antibiotics at this point Amoxycillin and Doxycycline. She came on Sat night and the next step the internal vet wants to do is a bone marrow biopsy which is scheduled for tomorrow. there is only one outstanding tick borne test for Babesia results are not in on. All other testing has come back. Her bone marrow is not producing any new red blood cells. Internist says this diagnostic is needed as the next step in determining treatment but all research I have done indicates immunosupressants as the recommended therapy and I'm not sure I want her to undergo this diagnostic biopsy. She already had an abdominal ultrasound which showed enlarged lymphnodes in her abdomen and aspirate of the lymphnodes came back with no cancerous cells. Any thoughts since Jeff was not recommended to go through a bone marrow biopsy. Thank you for your time. I hope Jeff has continued to improve.

Susan I am so sorry for your Daisy's diagnosis. It sounds as if the cause may be different for Daisy and Jeff. Jeff's marrow was producing new blood cells at a rate 4X normal, so his marrow was not the issue. The cause of Jeff's disease was never determined, but in his case immuno-suppressants worked because they slowed down, and appear now to have stopped, his immune system from attacking them. As that process took place, his bone marrow returned to the normal production rate

In Daisy's case the bone marrow is not replacing lost red blood cells, which is not something we dealt with. It sounds like the internist is suspecting disease in the bone marrow.

Maybe start another thread highlighting your question so people here with experiences more directly similar to yours will see it more easily and hopefully post before tomorrow.

I am so sorry you and Daisy are going through this.

Susan G--maybe I can help. So sorry to see Daisy isn't well. Your veterinarian most likely wants to run a marrow biopsy because your girl isn't regenerating cells. Her reticulating cells (immature cells red cells) must not be being produced. Did they say she's anemic??

I wouldn't hesitate to do the biopsy--it's just a tiny little amount they need -most likely harvested from her shoulder. One of my girls had it performed and she did just fine-very min discomfort.

Sadly, the biopsy needs to be done if she's not producing new cells--they will be looking for cancer.

I will hold a good thought for Daisy.

tbhounds and rickiesmom: thank you so much for your response. I was hoping you would. I do know the rationale behind the bone marrow biopsy and that they want to rule out cancer vs autimmune. I think my main issue was I really never got the change to talk to the internist in depth about the procedure pronosis other options, etc. I finally got a chance to talk to her internist yesterday afternoon and felt much better after the conversation. Yes he is going into her left shoulder (humerus) he prefers the left which is good because her right shoulder has a chronic problem. thank you to both of you for your responses and I did know this is not the same situation as Jeff's but since I'm new to posting here I really didn't know where to start. I think at this point in Daisy's journey I'll wait for her biopsy results before I decide to repost a new link should the diagnosis be cancer to see what insight anyone else might have in that regard. Thank you again. Fingers and paws crossed for today.