Chase - Condition More Serious Than Thought (Update Post 122)

teri_d, thank you for sharing your experiences that Bleu had with rhabdo. I'm sorry you lost your girl at such a young age.

Knowing the potential for renal failure due to rhabdomolysis I requested that my vet check his urine for microalbumin. The results came back today from Antech for the urinalysis and Superchem panel with some very extremely high numbers. I can't post the whole report, but I will list those that are of concern.

From the Urinalysis:

Protein 3+ (NEG)

Bilirubin 3+ (NEG TO 1+)

Blood 3+ (NEG)

Microalbuminuria >30 mg/dL (<2.5)

From the Superchem:

AST (SGOT) 4,242 U/L ( 15-66)

ALT (SGPT) 252 U/L (12-118)

Total Bilirubin 0.8 mg/dL (0.1-0.3)

CPK 141,532 U/L (59-895)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand all the numbers - but my heart is with you

The first number listed is what his level is. The numbers in parentheses is what the numbers should fall within. Particularly concerning are the microalbuminuria, which indicates compromise of the glomerular barrier. We will have to retest in 2 weeks to determine if the results are persistent, which would suggest permanent renal damage.

The other number that is of particular concern is the CPK or creatine phosphokinase. This is one of the measures of the severity of rhabdomolysis.

This must be terrifying for you. How is Chase acting?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It is terrifying. He seems much better this evening than he was last night so I'm hoping I got him to medical care quickly enough to prevent permanent renal damage. One article I read said studies suggest that there is limited time, as little as 6 hours after rhabdomyolysis occurs to prevent renal damage. We were right on the borderline of that time.

Oh, God, my heart went into my throat when I saw that it was more serious. Even not being familiar with this disease, I'm worried about Chase, and you. You are so thorough and knowledgeable, I know you're doing all you can.

Sending prayers!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm just seeing this now. So Sorry I missed your earlier post when this all started. When was the blood drawn for that last set of numbers? That CK is very high. My concern would be that they didn't keep him on fluids long enough and he was still processing myoglobin when you took him home, especially since he had a second episode at that vet. I'm not sure though now if you can do anything but wait it out or if starting fluids again would be warranted. Have you spoken with the emergency vet recently to talk about his continued symptoms?

I hope he turns around soon and there is no permanent damage for your boy. Rhabdo is some scary ** plain and simple. :grouphug:goodluck

Oh wait, because the post was edited I was confused about the timeline for this. I thought he came home from the ER 3 days ago, if he just came home I would take him back in. Have them medicate him immediately (in the car if he would handle that better) so he's not stressed out and keep him overnight on non-lactated ringers solution, plus high levels of anti-oxidants and rerun samples in the morning to see where you're at.

They/you can also give Gabapentin for pain if the Tramadol isn't cutting it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hoping for a good update soon. :goodluck

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm just seeing this now. So Sorry I missed your earlier post when this all started. When was the blood drawn for that last set of numbers? That CK is very high. My concern would be that they didn't keep him on fluids long enough and he was still processing myoglobin when you took him home, especially since he had a second episode at that vet. I'm not sure though now if you can do anything but wait it out or if starting fluids again would be warranted. Have you spoken with the emergency vet recently to talk about his continued symptoms?

I hope he turns around soon and there is no permanent damage for your boy. Rhabdo is some scary ** plain and simple. :grouphug:goodluck

Oh wait, because the post was edited I was confused about the timeline for this. I thought he came home from the ER 3 days ago, if he just came home I would take him back in. Have them medicate him immediately (in the car if he would handle that better) so he's not stressed out and keep him overnight on non-lactated ringers solution, plus high levels of anti-oxidants and rerun samples in the morning to see where you're at.

They/you can also give Gabapentin for pain if the Tramadol isn't cutting it.

I'm also concerned now that he wasn't kept on fluids long enough. He was given 3 liters of fluids Sunday night at the e-vet and then transported to my regular vet Monday morning where he finished up those fluids and was put on another liter of fluids and sent him home with me. We didn't have the labwork with the CPK levels until yesterday. By that time he was no longer moving stiffly and not having to go out as much so I thought he was getting better. It is probably too late, but I'm going to take him back tomorrow morning and have them run more fluids through him. I know I should probably take him in tonight, but even though I stressed to them that he needed something to calm him, afterall he was put in this medical crisis because of stress, when I picked him up he was panting heavily and a nervous mess. Then to make matters worse they were suppose to call ahead to my vet and have the report faxed over, which they never did. So when I got there they were unprepared for him and he's freaking stressing out from his night at the e-vet and now being brought there.

I had a very healthy dog last weekend and now there is a good chance I'll be losing him due to renal failure because I took him to get a bath.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Sending more hugs and best thoughts for you and your boy.

How far are you from your vet? If reasonably close, maybe you could pick up some oral meds to help keep him calm before you take him in. Otherwise, if he is fairly calm in the car, perhaps a tech could come out when you arrive and give him a shot and give that a little time to take effect before he has to go in.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:hope:grouphug

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest PiagetsMom

Sending more hugs and best thoughts for you and your boy.

How far are you from your vet? If reasonably close, maybe you could pick up some oral meds to help keep him calm before you take him in. Otherwise, if he is fairly calm in the car, perhaps a tech could come out when you arrive and give him a shot and give that a little time to take effect before he has to go in.

Yes, to this. With my Maya, my vet came out to the car to examine her and draw blood to try to avoid stress. It might be worth asking if someone could administer something to calm him down in the car so that the vet visit would be easier. I've been following your thread having been through something similar with my girl, and it all started with an overnight stay at our vets - I know how you're feeling. Rhabdo was ruled out for Maya, and unfortunately we never did diagnose her. Sending many good thoughts for your boy, Chase, and a :grouphug for you.

Edited by PiagetsMom

How are things going? Any improvement lately? :hope

I took him in this morning and they ran about a liter and a half through him before the sedative they gave him started wearing off and he started trembling. His cathater was left in and I am going to be continuing his fluid therapy at home where he is more comfortable. Blood was drawn again and sent out to check CPK levels. I'll know something Monday on that.