Chase - Condition More Serious Than Thought (Update Post 122)

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope things are going better for Chase. Please update when you can. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I've been having a terrible time with the fluid therapy. Yesterday I ended up having to take him back to the e-vet because I couldn't get the line to flow when I'd hook it to the catheter. Then I couldn't get the line unattached and was going to have to bring him in, line and bag all. Going to the car no matter how careful I tried to be, he stepped on the line and when he did it pulled the catheter out of his leg.

The vet, who was the treating vet when he was brought in last Sunday, was so nice. She came out to the car, so he wouldn't have the added stress of coming in, to put another catheter in. Even that stressed him and he was panting heavily the entire ride back home. I noticed after arriving home, him paying attention to the new catheter. he kept fussing with it whereas the first one he never bothered with. I got one liter bag in him without problem, but when I tried to hook another bag up I had the same problem I had before, the line would run when not attached, but would stop immediately upon being attached to the catheter. This morning I flushed the catheter and managed to get another liter of fluids in him. I gave him about a half hour break to relieve himself and hooked up another bag only to notice his leg, from where the vet wrap was down to his paw, starting to swell. I called the e-vet clinic back and they've advised me to remove the vet wrap, I suspected that, but was afraid I'd somehow mess up the catheter. Anyway I've removed the vet wrap and I'm going to try to get him started back on the last bag I stopped and hopefully there won't be any problems.

My biggest concern is how much permanent renal damage has this incident caused and how soon will I know that the damage is permanent.

What a trooper you are! And your boy as well.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sometimes what helps when giving fluids is to make sure his arm is straight. Often the catheter is "positional" -meaning that when the leg is bent the cath won't run. So, after hooking the line up just pull this leg straight making sure his elbow isn't bent--that should allow the fluids to flow freely. Also, make sure you are hanging the bag as high as you can-this is one case where gravity is your friend.

Your doing good-hang in there--hey maybe a technician carrier is in your future?? ;-)

So sorry this continues to be a struggle. Hoping he's at least in less pain and hopefully those blood work results look better.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Continued good thoughts for Chase and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sometimes what helps when giving fluids is to make sure his arm is straight. Often the catheter is "positional" -meaning that when the leg is bent the cath won't run. So, after hooking the line up just pull this leg straight making sure his elbow isn't bent--that should allow the fluids to flow freely. Also, make sure you are hanging the bag as high as you can-this is one case where gravity is your friend.

Your doing good-hang in there--hey maybe a technician carrier is in your future?? ;-)

Thanks for that advise. I did try to make sure his leg was relatively straight, but I guess it wasn't straight enough, because when I straightened it out more I finally got the line to flow when hooked to the catheter. Unfortunately I had to unhook him because the leg started swelling again 5 minutes into it running. I spoke with the e-vet clinic and they said I had two options. One, bring him back for them to check it out, which would be added stress for him, or two, stop fluids for now and discuss with our regular vet tomorrow if continued fluids are necessary. He has had 6 liters at this point since Friday. He had 3 Friday, 2 yesterday, and 1 today. The e-vet clinic felt that as long as he has been also drinking it is probably sufficient. For those with experience with this what do you think?

If you have a larger gauge needle (18g) you can give the rest of the fluids sq (so long as there isn't anything added to the bag-kcal, dextrose..) otherwise I would wait to see your vet. It sounds like the cath is no longer patent and the fluids are not going IV any longer.

How is he acting? I would think continued fluids would be in order if you suspected he was still in the midst of clearing out myoglobin, which seems unlikely given how much time has passed unless he was so stressed in the car that it happened again, or if he is in a renal crisis. If he is eating, peeing and acting pretty normal I would talk to your vet tomorrow. Having said that I am not a vet so take my advice with a grain of salt. 😉

Hopefully things only improve from here.

No updates? :(

Guest OPointyDog

I've been following this, too - hoping for a good update! How is he doing?

My Mika, had a mild case of rhabdo last fall. He has since made a full recovery - hoping for the same for Chase.

Thanks for thinking about Chase. While some things are better, others are not. The CPK levels are down within the normal range. However, while it was at 141,532 and he wasn't getting the fluids he should have I'm afraid it has done damage to his kidneys that he is not going to recover from. He has been off fluids since Sunday morning, but still has to constantly urinate. During the day if I am home he goes out about every hour and at night every two hours. When I'm gone to work he can't hold it any more, so I have to put 4 waterproof bed pads across the floor, and even then he manages to go on the floor. His urine also reeks of ammonia. I remember with Nadir's there wasn't much smell to it. When I got home yesterday from work I could smell the urine before I even opened the front door.

Below are the past and current bloodwork levels.

I've only listed those things that were out of range. The first entry is what it was, the second this last bloodwork.

CPK 141,532 / 658 (59-895)

AST 4,242 / 278 (15-66) HI

ALT 252 / 150 (12-118) HI

Glucose 105 / 176 (70_138) HI

Total Protein, Albumin, Calcium and Magnesium went down from within normal range to below normal.

I still can't believe this has happened. :(

Have they done a BUN and creatinine?

Kidneys can recover from damage to some extent.

Continued prayers for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MnMDogs

Continued good thoughts for you and your boy. This is so frightening to me... We have dogs that get very very stressed for the vet and baths and I never imagined anything like this could happen.