Thoughts And Prayers For Duke, Please!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for all your support! When we saw Duke this evening we told him how everyone is rooting for him. :)

The vet says Duke is stable but still has a long way to go. The biggest challenge is trying to achieve fluid balance while he has the clot. He still has fluid accumulating in his abdomen, and it may need to be drained again tomorrow morning. The diarrhea seems to have subsided some, so that's encouraging, although he vomited some blood this afternoon. The heparin therapy isn't as far along as they'd like. His clotting time was too short again, so they're going to try increasing the heparin dosage.

We're praying that he'll make it through the night okay.

Here's a photo my wife took of our poor boy in the ICU this afternoon:

dukeinicu.jpg?w=600

Ah, Duke, hang in there honey. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Bless his heart and yours too. This must be so very hard on all of you. But it sounds like Duke is in a good facility and like they care a lot about all of you, so that's hopeful. And Duke is doing his best. Sending more good thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:hope

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Continued good thoughts for your boy. Keep fighting Duke, we're all here for you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I know how heartbreaking it is to see your boy so ill. All my good thoughts to you for Duke's recovery. Fingers crossed for a good report from the vet this morning.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hope things went well overnight. Thinking of you all.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I just saw this. You are all in my thoughts. Hoping for a positive update today.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

:hope Hoping for a positive upturn.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks, everyone. Sorry for the delay in posting an update today. The vet didn't call until 11:15am, and then we went right over to see Duke. He's still fighting for his life. His abdomen is very swollen, and he was feeling quite nauseous. He vomited mucus and blood while we were there. They added another antiemetic, so hopefully that will help with the nausea. He's still having bloody diarrhea, and his protein levels are low. They're continuing to give him fluids. There's also been an increase in bile in his bloodstream, so they're keeping a close eye on that. The good news is that his platelet count is up to 47,000 (from 38,000 yesterday).

Here's a photo of our poor puppy:

dukeinicu2.jpg?w=600

Edited by Victor

Oh, my, I am so sorry.

I LOVE that the staff made a pillow for Duke's head - that right there says a LOT to me about how much they care.

Hang in there Duke!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest alannamac

Sending healing thoughts for your baby and for you all. It is so difficult and many of us have been there recently and want this to turn around for Duke. He is in the best place he can be to try to stop the illness and to keep him pain free.

Sending prays and good thoughts for Duke and family.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Oh, my, I am so sorry.

I LOVE that the staff made a pillow for Duke's head - that right there says a LOT to me about how much they care.

Hang in there Duke!

Yes, and look at the blanket between his back legs!

Duke, you got this.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Oh boy-poor Duke is one sick fellow. Have they re-ultrasounded his tummy-wondering if the clot is starting to break up. I can tell his bilirubin is elevated--his urine is bright yellow :-(. Hug and kisses from NJ--tell him we all pulling for him (and hugs to you too-I bet you could use a hug by now).

Poor guy. I am glad that you have been able to visit with Duke. He is still fighting.!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We just saw Duke. He's not doing so well. :( He's having trouble breathing, so they had to put him on oxygen. The vet is worried that he may be bleeding into his lungs. She's giving him plasma right now to counteract any possible internal bleeding. The other possibility is that part of the clot has moved to his lungs, but the fact that he responded to the oxygen makes her think that's not the case. His breathing started to get worse while we were there, so they asked us to leave. They were worried that he might be getting too excited from our visit. He cried when we left. :( They're going to call if the situation changes. We're praying that the plasma will help. We lost our first grey Lana to osteosarcoma in January. We just can't bear to lose Duke too.

:hope:candle

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Lots and lots and lots of hugs for you. You and your boy are in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.