Thoughts And Prayers For Duke, Please!

The vet just called. The plasma seems to be helping. Duke's breathing is still labored, but he's able to get enough oxygen on his own now, so they stopped the supplemental oxygen. She said that after we left Duke had a bowel movement and then he seemed more calm. So part of his distress might have been due to needing to go to the bathroom. She's still worried that his lungs are injured, though, so they're going to hold off on more heparin until they have a chance to re-evaluate tomorrow morning.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support!

tbhounds, they weren't able to see the clot on ultrasound due to all the fluid. If he's well enough tomorrow they may repeat the CT scan. They didn't want to risk moving him today in case he was bleeding internally. I sure hope the clot is starting to dissolve. It seems so unfair that greys are so good at dissolving clots after surgery but not when you need them to!

Oh, my, I am so sorry.

I LOVE that the staff made a pillow for Duke's head - that right there says a LOT to me about how much they care.

Hang in there Duke!

Yes, and look at the blanket between his bag legs!

Duke, you got this.

Everyone there has been so kind and helpful. You can tell that they really care about him.

I've been thinking about your boy all day. Thank you for giving him a fighting chance. I did laugh a bit at your poop comment. :blush

:getwell

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks, everyone. Sorry for the delay in posting an update today. The vet didn't call until 11:15am, and then we went right over to see Duke. He's still fighting for his life. His abdomen is very swollen, and he was feeling quite nauseous. He vomited mucus and blood while we were there. They added another antiemetic, so hopefully that will help with the nausea. He's still having bloody diarrhea, and his protein levels are low. They're continuing to give him fluids. There's also been an increase in bile in his bloodstream, so they're keeping a close eye on that. The good news is that his platelet count is up to 47,000 (from 38,000 yesterday).

Here's a photo of our poor puppy:

dukeinicu2.jpg?w=600

Heatbreaking to watch your pup like this. Only good thoughts coming your way.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Just heard from the vet. Duke is overall worse than he was yesterday. His oxygenation was low last night so they started giving him supplemental oxygen again. There's fluid around his lungs, which they're going to remove now. They're also going to do a chest x-ray to see if there might be fluid in his lungs. His protein is still low, so he'll need more plasma today. He's also less responsive, which could be due to the oxygenation or due to bleeding or clotting in the brain. They're also going to start him on either a feeding tube or a different kind of IV to get some calories into him. He hasn't vomited since yesterday, but he still has bloody diarrhea. The vet says Duke's prognosis is poor. They're going to call us when we can go see him, probably around 11am or noon.

Aw, geez. Really hoping your boy can turn the corner. Keeping your family and Duke in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug We are pulling for your boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry Victor that the update is not better. Continued good thoughts for your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sorry it's not better news. But our thoughts and prayers are still with you, and we're still pulling for your sweet boy.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest LazyBlaze

Continued good thoughts for Duke, and for you all. I so much hope that somehow things take a turn for the better.

Can I be so bold as to say perhaps you need to let him cross at this point? I have walked in your shoes and I know how incredibly hard to is to make that final decision. I am one to pull out all the stops for my guys but, sometimes you need to hear from someone else that it's ok to let go.-even from a stranger like me. Please accept this with the love and understanding that is intended. Whatever you decided to do please know that we understand it's developed from love.

Guest alannamac

Oh gosh....sending supportive thoughts and wishes for you all.....whatever happens you and Duke have done the best you can.

Guest greytone

Victor- Do you know Ellen Paulus? She knows a ton about these dogs. Maybe she could help you guys out and help you discuss options.

Whatever decision you have to make please remember, it's out of love, so no decision is wrong.

:nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I wouldn't make any decisions until you visit him, but try to listen to what he is telling you. I hope he can rally, but if not :brokenheart I have been there also, I know how hard it is :bighug

:nod:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.