Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14)

dmswartzfager

Brian wrote this post for his google plus and facebook pages, so I will just copy it here:

Wren was our first greyhound. We adopted her in August of 2003. These days, most adoption groups put the new dogs in foster homes, and adopters get to meet the dogs and know something about their personality going in. Not with Wren: she came to us straight off the adoption hauler as it drove up I-95 from Florida to stops all along the East Coast. Our adoption group met up with the hauler at a rest stop along the interstate. We didn't even know what she looked like until they took her out of her compartment and called our name. I was momentarily disappointed as I had been hoping for a fawn girl, and really hadn't pictured having a black dog, but after looking at her in comparison to the other hounds (mostly brindles), with her white paws and her white chest blaze, I thought she was the best looking hound of the bunch.

She being right off the track, we knew we have to orient her to all the things racing greyhounds are clueless about: stairs, glass doors, etc. What we weren't prepared for was her separation anxiety. Having always been in the company of other hounds and human handlers, she would cry and howl when we left the house. So we decided to adopt another greyhound, Tyler, and the two of them bonded instantly. That was the point where we stopped being dog owners who owned a greyhound to being passionate greyhound owners: Wren paved the way for all of the greyhounds that came later.

Wren was only two years old when she flunked out of racing and joined our family, so she spent most of her life with us. And it was a pretty full life. She got to experience riding on a train twice (once on a Boston metro train and once on a tourist steam locomotive) and sailed with us on a large schooner. She was part of our two major camping trips, the tent camping trip through New England, and the month-long cross-country trip to California and back in our pop-up camper in 2006. She spent time with us in the Outer Banks, the Adirondacks, and Shenandoah National Park. She met hundreds of greyhounds at events like Greyhounds in Gettysburg, Mountain Hounds in Tennessee, and multiple trips to Greyhounds Reach the Beach in Dewey Beach, DE. She got along with every greyhound we ever had, though Tyler (who sadly was only with us for 3 years) was always her favorite. And tonight she's with him again at the rainbow bridge.

Having been with us for so long, she will be greatly missed.

18_killDevilHills.jpg

22_oldAndGrey.jpg

24_lastRide.jpg

6_playingWithTyler.jpg

7_grandCanyon.jpg

9_tahoe.jpg

16_haremGirl.jpg

bigsur_wren_digging_1.jpg

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

The Arabian princess costume picture always makes me smile. What a sweet girl. I hope she and Tyler are running together again.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Deanna, I remember Wren and Tyler from my earliest days here on Greytalk. All the dogs the other dogs you had came and went but it seemed like Wren would live forever. I am so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I am so sad and sorry to read of the loss of Wren. I remember reading so many of your posts about your travels with your dogs.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

... to being passionate greyhound owners: Wren paved the way for all of the greyhounds that came later. :heart I am so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed beautiful girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry to hear she had to leave you.

Godspeed, special girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest IrskasMom

Deanna , to find Wren's Name in the Rememberance was a shock today . I am so sorry you lost your sweet Girl . RIP Wren :f_pink

She had such a good life with you. I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

:gh_run2

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

So very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Wren.

You have made so many wonderful memories...

Remember them and smile.......

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm sorry your sweet princess has left. She was a beautiful girl and I am sure she is running free with Tyler now.

Run free Wren, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so very sorry. She was a gorgeous and special girl.

Godspeed Wren.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

So sorry for your loss.....

Run free Wren!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

I am so sorry. The beautiful pics are a testament to the long and happy life that you shared. Run fast and free with all the angel pups Wren.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT