Freeman (Related Subjects) May 5 2005 - June 4 2013

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

What can I say about my Freeman?

Freeman was my husband and I's first greyhound, and first dog. Multiple greyhounds would come through our home (some fosters, and some to stay) after him. If it was not for him, we would not have fallen in love with this breed. However, it wasn't easy with Freeman.

We got Freeman right off the track on May 3, 2008. A few days before his 3rd Birthday. At this time; greyhound rescue in my area in Canada was still pretty new - there weren't many around (to be honest, still isn't - only two here between the entire of Atlantic Canada) but we found them while looking for rescues online and I fell in love. With the rescue we have you don't get to pick color, but you can pick gender. They are brought up in loads and she doesn't always have a lot of info other than name and age. Sometimes there is info on the database, but not always.

Freeman had no info other than name, weight, and color. I remember showing up that day and wondering which one he was (and what his name was, as we knew him as Related Subjects). The lady pointed him out to us, gave a leash and was like "His name is Freeman". Away we went. I noticed he was banged up; his poor ears were a bit shredded and he was covered in scratches and gouges. He wasn't super spooky but he had zero interest in people.

Over the weeks, and months, and years, we turned him into such a gentlemen. As that's what he was... A real gentlemen. I could trust him with anything; and he was so mild. He had an intelligence about his eyes that I always respected. He was a very lazy grey, from day 1. However the first year was pretty rough.. Painted my walls with diarrhea, ran in corners when people came to the door, hid from us, nose constantly dripping from stress... He hated us; or at least that is how I felt.

However, once he came out he was such an amazing dog. I always said; if all dogs were like Freeman I would have 10 - easy.

When he was 3, he severely broke his front leg and we had to have it plated as it broke again, and again. It was a $3000 surgery by the time all was said and done; and even though he only lived 5 more years before getting osteo (in the back leg) I would do it again it a heart beat.

He came everywhere with me, all the meet and greets for adoption and I took him to all the interviews. He was such a gentlemen, everyone was charmed by him.

May 2012 I was diagnosed with a disease called Wegener's Granulomatosis; and I had to go through chemo and all kinds of bullcrap. Freeman stuck by me. He waited outside the shower, he guided me down the hall, and he would come poke his nose in during the day while I was in bed and come sniff me as if to say "Ok, she's still alive!" and off he would go. It was then that our true bond formed. I always loved him, as he was a perfect dog in my eyes - but that's when I realized just how one of a kind he was. On his birthday this year he was doing zoomies and let out a yelp. I didn't think much of it - as he had a mild limp. This was May 5. In days, I knew something was wrong when it was worsening. We got the dreaded diagnosis of bone cancer... I was so crushed. Amputation wasn't an option because of the weak front leg; and the vet had guesstimated it had been there for quite some time (even though it was asymptomatic) and had probably metastasized elsewhere. We took him home and did painkillers for three weeks. I slept on the floor with him for the last week, as it was the only way he would sleep.

I never cried as much as I cried in my life watching him suffer and drag his leg around. Any little touch and he was screeching in pain. Finally I decided it was enough... But it was killing me, because he was so strong. Freeman was so so strong.. I scream cried at the vet and told her I couldn't do it... But I did. He looked me right in the eyes and I caught him as he fell. It took three times as much "stuff" as it should have and it was such a traumatic experience for me... I thought I had made a horrible mistake. The vet said to me "His heart is so strong... Such a strong heart" and all I could do was cry and snot because I felt like I was letting him down before he was ready, definitely before I was ready.

I stayed in the room with him.. And just cried. They told me to take as much time as I needed, so I did. I knew it was going to be the very last time I saw his handsome face and it killed me. He loved having his ears scratched, and he loved getting his belly rubbed. He also loved all creatures, cats, bunnies, all of it.. Such a gentle boy.

Now some pictures to honor my sweet Freeman. Although he went by many names, Rayman, Beeman (ate a bee once), Bubba.

This was in the first few months of him being home.. Before he turned gray with age. I miss him so much it hurts... I still catch myself saying "the dogs" or "Freeman and Kowalla"... I always talk about them in present tense and it kills me. Some people don't even know I lost them because I tend to talk like they are still here... It hurts :(

236_20039845803_5513_n.jpg

41272_457760965803_759260_n.jpg

544790_10150971001880804_690555193_n.jpg

537882_10151375419945804_798801354_n.jpg

734287_10151519991185804_2078111907_n.jp

942742_10151622973130804_1301264806_n.jp

600720_10151646757200804_621098110_n.jpg

998375_10151666474075804_1351059148_n.jp

1016204_10151709565850804_1434183459_n.j

:grouphug I'm so sorry.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What a handsome boy and a wonderful tribute to him.

Run pain-free Freeman. :f_white

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Gone from this earth, but not from your heart. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

We all know that the kindest and most loving decision one ever makes in their life, is to set a beloved friend free from their pain.

I think it's one of the hardest things you'll ever do in a lifetime. Freeman's photos are beautiful, and I'm so sorry for the pain

you're feeling now. But you'll see him again one day, and it will be as if you'd never parted. Thinking of you........

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I too struggled about letting my Scout go, it is two weeks ago today. He was still eating and following us around but his body was failing. We both did the most loving thing for our boys.

He was your soul mate and the connection between you two still exists. He will never truly leave you. He is inside your heart forever. Sending gentle hugs and greyhound kisses- Janice, Luka and Peace

You were very unlucky to lose your two beautiful boys at relatively young ages and so close together. :grouphug

Rest in peace, Freeman, loved and remembered always. :brokenheart

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

So very sorry for the loss of your gentleman.

The pain IS horrible...you should cry as much as you need, but please remember all the good times......

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What a handsome boy :wub: . I'm so sorry he had to leave you.

Rest well, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry :( :( what a sweet boy he was :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh, I'm so sorry. You have truly lost a heart dog. But you both were so blessed to have found each other. At some point, the pain will not be so huge and so raw, and you will realize you haven't cried that day because thoughts of your sweet boy will bring a smile instead of tears. Those precious memories are yours forever. Please know that there is no time frame for your grief, and that you need to be gentle with yourself. Also know that the hardest of decisions is made out of love. And he knew that.

Sharing your sadness, and sending much sympathy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown