Orion July 15, 1999 - July 26, 2013

Jiffer

I knew it was coming, I just didn't want to admit it. The unfortunate thing about dogs is that their lives are a fraction of our own and although we'd like to keep them forever, unfortunately, we eventually lose.

Orion was in top condition until around Christmas when we started to see a sharp decline in his stamina. He started to find walking any distance to be difficult and so we started walking him less often and for shorter distances until about a month ago when we decided to stop forcing him. Though I can't really say we forced him, he was a trooper who would just plug along, content to be with his family.

Then about mid-spring, he started to stumble more, to fall more, and to injure himself. His bowel incontinence became an issue, but thanks to our fantastic acupuncturist, we managed to get that under control until just a few weeks ago. I could feel the impending decision to be made starting to stir at the back of my brain and while I wanted to ignore it completely, I had to think of the wellness of my big guy.

A week ago Friday, hubby came home to find Orion on our kitchen floor unable to get up. We do not know how long he was down but it was long enough that he was bruised and had several sores on his arms and legs. He took a couple of days to reconcile himself. I was on vacation last week and hubby and I had already started to talk about what we should do. By Monday, I decided to call the vet to discuss options. I explained his fall and she was already aware of his progressive weakness. She gave us several options to keep him going on top of the medications he was already on, but the last thing I wanted was to make him stoned and drugged, and to segregate him from the pack to limit his chances of falling. That wasn't any kind of quality of life. I called the vet back on Thursday to make an appointment for his final visit on Friday.

So surrounded with love and with his head in my lap and "daddy"'s hand on his leg, he slipped into void on July 26, 2013 just before noon.

JenOri_zpsc759da19.jpg

It's hard to sum up Orion in a few words. He was both simple and complicated. He took a very long time to warm up and become part of the family. For the first couple years, he just existed on the periphery. Don't get me wrong, he was 100% content. He just had no expectations. We always described him as an old race horse. He observed and showed little expression.

It was peculiar to watch his transition too. He eventually would get up on the couch with the others, but if a human sat down near him, he'd get up and leave. Then one day, he allowed me to put his head in my lap while watching TV and suddenly it clicked for him... snuggling with the people is wonderful! Everything was done in baby steps like that. It took him nearly 5 years to start giving kisses, which he reserved for special moments. I have such wonderful memories of him and his quirks. Of course, I'll always have my busted pinky too. He broke it with his leash back in 2006. Every time it rains and my pinky aches, I'll think of him.

In his twilight years, his favourite thing was to rub his face, ears and eyes on the sofa or recliner after he had a good meal. He'd even allow himself a few groans here or there. It always made me chuckle. He also knew his routine better than any of the others.. if you were late with your cookie, he'd get huffy.

Run free my big boy. I hope you and your siblings have found each other again. I miss you so much and I love you even more.

Orion AKA Jahoda's Elect

July 15, 1999 - July 26, 2013

nn2.jpg

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest NSGREY

I'm sorry for your loss of Orion. He was a really handsome boy and I am sure he went knowing how much he was loved and cared for.

Run Like The Wind Orion!!

Guest IrskasMom

Jennifer , you were the first one when I started with GT and Orion was one of my Favorite . You said it very galant , that our Dogs go only a fraction of time on our Side. Orion was one handsome , beautiful Guy. You gave him a greyt Life and lots of Love . I am so sorry his Time was up and left you with a :brokenheart . Greyt Memories will remain.

What a wonderful guy. It sounds as tho Orion may have been your "background dog", too :heart I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope the memories of the wonderful lives you shared will help ease your pain. :grouphug

Orion, you were the best. :heart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Jen, I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry you had to say good-bye to your special boy.

For me, Orion is part of you -- when I think of you, he's there too in the picture in my mind. I believe he always will be.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Your tribute shows your love for Onion. We all have to face those days, but I am dreading it. You gave your gallant Onion the best of all, time, love, and freedom. Bless you and your boy who is now running free.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Isn't it ironic that the actions/reactions by the hounds who "have no expectations" leave the most indelible impressions? Godspeed, Orion. Send your mama kisses on the wind. I am so sorry for your loss.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I am so sorry for your loss. Orion sounds so much like our sweet Paulie. Thank you for sharing your memories.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry you've had to say goodbye to your handsome Orion.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

:grouphug:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France