Pudge Le Mutt Not Doing Well, At Vet Now 12/31

I fear Miss Pudge le mutt will not be with us for much longer. We have been dealing with chronic kidney failure. She is 10 and had no symptoms. It was caught on routine lab tests and urinalysis. She has been on a specialty food for kidneys, enalapril, baby aspirin, and fish oil.

Her results from 6 months ago have changed drastically:

BUN 42 (normal 27)

Creatinine 3.6 (normal <1.8)

urine c/p ratio 5.3 (last time 3.6)

albumin 2.2 (normal 2.5-4)

Treatment plan has changed to increase her enalapril form 10mg to 20mg. Adding Azodyl, a probiotic that will help process food to make it easier for her kidneys.Retest labs in 2 weeks.

Complicating things is a sudden onset nasal infection with green discharge. Now taking cephalexin for that.

A dental is scheduled in a little over 2 weeks. She has one badly inflamed area and mild tartar.

Complicating things is a probable tumor under her lower front teeth causing them to protrude.

Depending on how she does between now and that dental appt, the plan is my vet to xray Pudge's mouth to see the extent of the tumor. From there we will decide whether or not to proceed with the biopsy and dental. She explained that Pudge will need extra hydration during this because of the kidney issue.

My normally happy girl with a good appetite can no longer keep her food down, probably because of the cephalexin. Since she is still drinking OK and will eat some cookies, I'm going to try spacing out the dose (rx'd at 2 in AM, 2 in PM). Vomiting was happening at 2 hours post-meal. She is very tired. My shadow girl prefers to nap than follow me room to room.

Regular vet won't be open again until the 26th. Emergency vet is only 5 minutes away but I don't see indications that we need to go there now.

Question:

Is there something over-the-counter besides Pepcid that will help soothe her tummy enough to tolerate the cephalexin?

039.jpg

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry - no advise - no experience. But I'm really good at smooching and hugging on mutt pups (just ask my Sam). So many are sent along with some prayers.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Does she not tolerate Pepcid? There are some other OTC meds but you'd want to consult with the vet about them. Pepcid is one of the few that doesn't interact with much.

You could also ask for a meds change. There are dogs who do not tolerate cephalexin.

Sending gentle scritchies for your sweet girl, and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry to hear Pudge is not doing well :(. She looks like such a sweet girl. I know the timing is terrible with the holidays, but if she's getting really sick with the cephalexin if possible I would try to get it changed for another antibiotic she tolerates better. I know that's easier said than done right now. Nadir got extremely sick when put on cephalexin. I make a point now to make sure he doesn't get it.

I'm so sorry about your sweet Pudge. :( I just went through the kidney failure ordeal with my galgo, Cruz. I had a really difficult time getting him to eat. Sometime the herb Slippery Elm is helpful if you want to try an herbal. http://www.anniesherbals.com/Getting%20started.html

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Oh, not Pudge!

A couple of thoughts, Ducky: I agree wholeheartedly with the pepcid (either famotadine or ranitidine), even when she's off the abx. Also, ask your vet about perhaps adding some subQ fluids, if you're comfortable doing that at home. It should reduce her BUN/creatinine and probably get her feeling a bit better. If she's not drinking it might actually benefit her to get IV fluids...

I'm going to give you a call now -- much faster than typing!

Hugs, sweetie girl!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Oh Ducky ... I'm sorry about Pudge!

Cephalexan does NOTHING for my Riley, but when he was on it (before we found out), I needed to make sure that he always took his meds with food AND had something (non-dairy) coating his tummy. So ... out came the Ensure and the Marrow Bones dog treats (for my little boy, Marrow Bones always seem to work like saltine crackers for his chronic tummy upset).

So, if Pudge doesn't have her own version of Marrow Bones, I might try a bit of liquid pepto bismol (note that her poop will probably be black for the next few days ... didn't want to freak you out with that).

any Manuka honey in the house? that can't hurt, but if you don't have it, you won't find it at Jewel or Krogers.

Edited by juliemac

I'm so sorry to hear this.

FWIW, we're using Zantac (ranitidine) 3X / day for Jessie. She also gets sub-q fluids, as well as the standard kidney support meds.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greytkidsmom

Pepcid has to be renally dosed in humans so you may want to check with your vet about the right dose for Miss Pudge. Sorry she is feeling so poorly. Hugs to you both.