Poor Max/ruptured Abcess In Anal Sac/need Prayers Plz

My sweet Max, 10 yr old boy, was treated for a ruptured Anal Abcess in the left Anal sac on December 2nd @ the Emergency Vet. They cleaned it out under sedation and he has been on antibiotics/pain meds, and the dreaded cone of shame. It started to clear up and now after our 2nd re-check w/my own Vet, it is still infected. She cleaned it up again and pulled a sample to check for Tumor cells and it was also sent out to cytology to find out type of bacteria as the other antibiotic did not clear it up. She did not see any Tumor cells so hoping there is nothing there. While we are waiting til Saturday fror results to come back, we are trying another antibiotic used for Ecoli based bacteria, more pain meds. Max is a sad boy, he does not take pills well and I had to have meds in liquid form, tried all the tricks, he is spoiled with many add ins to his kibble so ... it has not been fun for us. This is our 1st time w/Anal Sac issues so we are lucky in that aspect, but.. if you could please keep Max in your prayers, hoping we don't have to have this Sac removed.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Poor Max. I'll keep him in my prayers and hope that this antibiotic will heal it quickly.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Sending healing thoughts to your sweet boy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hopefully the healing will be easy. When Gracie's anal gland ruptured my vet said it was probably a relief to her to no longer have the pressure building up.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Many prayers for the poor boy.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Poor Max :(

This happened to my Molly, they had her on antibiotics as well as a topical antibiotic to use twice a day. I also did warm baths with salt

Hope the medication starts to do its job!

Praying for Max! Bobber's ruptured too but the vet didn't have to do surgery to clean it or anything even though it had a drain hole and was draining- yuck. Anyway she got better with the first round of antibiotics and I started her on The Missing Link which my vet said was good for anal sac issues(not sure anybody knows why it just is) and no problems since. I would try anything before I let them remove it. I have heard too many horror stories of what can happen with that surgery not the least of which is fecal incontinence. Remember you LOVE Max and care deeply for him-they simply don't. To them he is just another patient to practice on. Max needs you to be his advocate and protect him from possibly over anxious treatments when necessary. Please give him a kiss for me! Hope he is better soon with a new antibiotic and some more time.

poor Max...sending lots of healing thoughts.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Good thoughts for Max. I hope he heals quickly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Praying for Max! Bobber's ruptured too but the vet didn't have to do surgery to clean it or anything even though it had a drain hole and was draining- yuck. Anyway she got better with the first round of antibiotics and I started her on The Missing Link which my vet said was good for anal sac issues(not sure anybody knows why it just is) and no problems since. I would try anything before I let them remove it. I have heard too many horror stories of what can happen with that surgery not the least of which is fecal incontinence. Remember you LOVE Max and care deeply for him-they simply don't. To them he is just another patient to practice on. Max needs you to be his advocate and protect him from possibly over anxious treatments when necessary. Please give him a kiss for me! Hope he is better soon with a new antibiotic and some more time.

Thank you for this, yes he has a drain hole too and it has been draining, very gross and the duct is still working properly. What is The Missing Link? He is doing better today, I am doing warm compresses on it a few times daily. I will do everything to avoid surgery too and my Vet does not want to do surgery either, she thinks the infection can be cleared up. I have not started his new antibiotic yet, I filled it and read the bottle and saw that it cannot be taken w/dairy products and the "King" will not take pills without cheese so, I am giving old antibiotic until Vet gets back culture tomorrow/Sat.and determines the exact one he should be on. In the meantime he is sleeping w/a big smile- Metacam, home cooked supper and lots of love. I will give him xtra kisses from you.

Poor Max :(

This happened to my Molly, they had her on antibiotics as well as a topical antibiotic to use twice a day. I also did warm baths with salt

Hope the medication starts to do its job!

Topical antibiiotics sound like a great idea, I am doing warm compresses too, he is not thrilled w/having his butt touched!

Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

you might try liver sausage instead of cheese.

if he still won't voluntarily take them, put them far back in his throat and he'll have to swallow them. or fool him with ricemilk cheese (expensive, but only for a short while).

good luck -- I'd do ANYTHING to clean up anal gland issues quickly and as painlessly as possible.

oh Geez :( :( sending many healing prayers to Max! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

you might try liver sausage instead of cheese.

if he still won't voluntarily take them, put them far back in his throat and he'll have to swallow them. or fool him with ricemilk cheese (expensive, but only for a short while).

good luck -- I'd do ANYTHING to clean up anal gland issues quickly and as painlessly as possible.

Hmm, Liver Sausage, Ricemilk cheese, have never tried those. I am using liquid antibiotics, more $ but easier, just squirt in back of mouth. He was refusing foods he usually loved thinking that I was hiding pills in everything. It is looking much better, keeping fingers crossed that it continues to improve.