Zoe (In A While)

dante2zoe

I cannot believe that I am opening a new post in this forum for the third time in 4.5 months.

Zoe came to me as a bounce in January, 2006. She broke her leg racing and bounced around a couple different groups for a while and then landed in ours. She was originally adopted into a family with two, large, boisterous, young males and a Yorkie. The boys wouldn’t leave her alone and the Yorkie delighted in biting at her legs. I was the closest home and so she landed here.

Zoe and I learned a lot from each other. I learned about fear responses, sleep startle, resource guarding and that some dogs sleep with their eyes open. Zoe learned about unconditional love, sharing and that I might push her borders, but I wouldn’t put her in a position to fail. In exchange, we developed a good partnership and bond.

Zoe didn’t read the rule book. She barked at me about everything. She chased tennis balls, only to retrieve them and take them to her favorite bed in the house. She dug after moles in the yard. She initiated all dogs into our greyhound playgroup: she had to snark and bark at them. Once she did that, we knew the dog was accepted. She was feisty and did things her way. It was amazing how strong that narrow 56 pound hound could be when she didn’t want to walk the route I chose and just planted herself.

She was in good health, except she had bad gums. The roots of her molars were exposed, so we decided to remove them to keep her healthy and pain-free. I was anxious about the procedure, so my vet let me stay with her until it was time to be sedated. So, she got a nice happy cocktail while lying in my lap, with me stroking her soft fur and talking to her. Little did I know that those moments were our last. I thought I was saying see you later when I kissed her nose, not good bye.

We have no idea what happened. She sailed through the surgery and was recovering nicely. My vet called to let me know that I could come up soon so I could be there when she woke up. Ten minutes later, I got a call that she had arrested. I was able to get there to whisper in her ear. I am devastated. I didn’t truly realize how much I loved her until she was gone. It is literally deathly quiet around here now. The silence is killing me.

Run free, baby girl. Find Dante and Indy, so you can be with them once again, as I know you wanted. They were always your boys and you are reunited once again. And, please, let me know that you are okay. I truly need to know; I was just trying to do what I thought was best for you. I love you.

IMG_2390_DxO.jpg

IMG_2171_DxO.jpg

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know your heart is broken, but I am CERTAIN Zoe knows you loved her and had no idea what was happening. You gave her six wonderful years and you made all your choices based on what you felt was best for her.

I am so sorry for your loss. Truly. :grouphug

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Cindy, my heart is broken for you. :grouphug

Godspeed beautiful Zoe f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Dearest Cindy...words cannot express my sadness.

Love that captures the heart and touches the soul remains forever. Hold the special memories

close to your heart.

Nancy

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I couldn't believe this when I saw it in the Club. I am heartbroken for you. I wish there was something I could say that would help. Please know that you are in my thoughts & prayers. Zoe sweetie, make sure you let your mom know you are ok. Run free with your boys, Zoe.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

I'm so very sorry. What a horrible shock and devastating loss, even more so since you were doing what was best for her. You've endured too much loss in far too short a time. My heart aches for you.

Godspeed Zoe.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Dear Cindy, I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Zoe. Please know that as you loved her, she loved you back for giving her the best home in the world!

Run free Beautiful Zoe!

We are here for you!

Pat G/Doubles

Oh, Cindy, I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Zoe, and how tragic and unexpected her passing was. My heart breaks for you. What a horrible week this has been.

Sending many hugs your way. Rest in peace, Zoe.

:grouphug:f_pink

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Cindy, I am so sorry. You wrote a beautiful tribute to your beautiful girl - a reflection of all the beautiful moments you had together. Treasure those memories. Zoe will always have a special place inour hearts and in the spring will find something as beautiful as your tribute to plant close to Dante and Indy in the remembory garden.

Godspeed Zoe

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I am so sorry for all of your losses in such a short span of time...how devastating. I can't tell you in words how really sorry I am to read this but your tribute was so beautiful and loving.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Cindy, in tears here. Again we are so sorry that Zoe left so unexpectedly. We saw her star last night, she's OK. :grouphug

:f_pink :f_pink

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Cindy, I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Cindy, I am at a loss for words for your loss of sweet Zoe. You have experienced far too much heartbreak this year and to have another pup pass so suddenly, is beyond imagining. We are all grieving along with you and know that Zoe is thankful for the wonderful life you gave her and she will always be with you.

Run free Zoe, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. What a wonderful home & life you gave her - she sounds like she was quite a character & was so fortunate to have found you. I'm so sorry it was her time to leave you. Godspeed Zoe! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis