Patrick

PatricksMom

Patrick—

Usually I’m known for eloquent eulogies, but this time I just can’t. So here’s a few of the things that mommy remembers about you, her heartdog.

Picking you up at the adoption kennel and watching you play with the volunteer’s daughter—although you were our child, you always loved human children. The summer you spent helping the neighbor’s traumatized granddaughter, who missed her parents, by visiting every day, at the same time, and helping her feel safe and loved. How much our niece loved you, and how much you loved her.

I ate a half a tomato for lunch, and turned around to give you the rest, as always, but you weren’t there. Your favorite foods were tomatoes, asparagus, strawberries, and broccoli “bones”—our vet wanted to know how to get her kids to eat as many vegetables as you did. And the night you stole an entire pound of tofu while my back was turned, and giving you feta tomato salad on your birthdays.

The day mommy let you pick Mr. Hedgehog out at the store and carry him out past the drooling meet and greet greyhounds. A week before you died you still woke up every morning with Mr. Hedgehog ready to play. He’s with you now. The year we gave you a vibrating, laughing Ernie toy for Christmas—watching you play with him was the best Christmas morning I ever had, and watching you wait anxiously every time I fixed him and your other toys.

The adoption group told me you jumped—I thought they met on people. No, they meant straight in the air, your last week you still greeted us at the front door jumping six feet up.

How everyone who met you seemed to give you a nickname—we called you monster, I don’t know why. Carol and Mark called you Mr. P, like a southern gentleman, Dr. DeMarco called you Monkey. You were so clumsy, and I called so often, I doubt the vet’s staff knew me as anything other than Patrick’s Mom. But they all loved you—the crazy dog who loved his vet, and no matter what, never, ever snapped at them.

You were there, through every depressive episode, you listened to every draft of my dissertation, snoozed while I worked through lectures—not every dog can say they earned a doctorate, but in your own way you did.

We lost you on our 11th wedding anniversary—you were the center of the first part of our marriage. For years you used to crawl in between us on the couch and hog our bed. Then you got older, and we snuggled with you on your bed instead. At the end you lay in my lap as the e-vet helped you pass on.

There’s no good way to end this, I don’t know how to end what we had. I don’t know what to do without you, how we’re supposed to move on with the next part of our lives, in the apartment I picked out for you, but you never saw, how to stop crying. I don’t know where any of us are going, but I hope you’re with Grandpa, and Mr. Hedgehog, and enjoying the sunshine, and the snow, and running free, without arthritis, before you got sick.

I’ll pray for you on Sunday with all the Saints. Godspeed, little one.

(My photos are all too big, I'll put some up after DH has fixed them for me.)

Eta: maybe people will be able to see these facebook pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151016868652572.422693.668137571&type=1

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Patrick, and for the circumstances you are in, without the comfort of familiar surroundings and the presence of those you are close to. My heart goes out to you :grouphug

You and Patrick arrived on GT when my first set of greys was getting older, so in my mind Patrick has always been the big young handsome goofy boy he was when I first "met" him. You, your DH, and Patrick were so lucky to have each other. He had a wonderful life. And of course a huge piece of your heart has gone with him.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

So sorry, my heart goes out to you. Patrick sounds like he was an amazing boy.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I'm so very sorry. Thank you for telling us about your precious boy.

Godspeed Patrick.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

That was a beautiful tribute. We are so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy.

Run free Patrick. :f_white

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest bigorangedog

I have lost my heart boys too, and I know just how you feel. There will never be another like him, but think how lucky you were to have found each other. Wishing you peace in time, and countless good memories of your boy.

Patrick has been such a constant here on GT. We will miss him. :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry Patrick had to leave you. I wish there was something I could say or do to help ease the pain. Just know we are all here for you. :grouphug

:f_red Run strong and free Patrick! :gh_lay

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

That was a lovely genuine eulogy, direct from the heart. Those wonderful memories will soon cancel out the pain of his loss, as they do with all heart dogs. Everything about them is intense... even the healing when they are gone to the Bridge.

medium.jpg

These lilies were 'rescued' too

Tossed them out last year when they were over

and forgot them until a few days ago,

Your eloquence did not desert you. I am truly sorry that you have lost Patrick.

Patrick, run yong and free once more.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I am very sorry for your loss of sweet Patrick. It will take time before you will feel again. Losing a pup like Patrick tears you down to your soul and life forces you to go on. The one thing that sometimes makes it easier is that Patrick would want you happy. They are such unselfish spirits, he would want it no other way.

Run free Patrick, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Usually I’m known for eloquent eulogies ... :grouphug

Your eulogy to your heartboy came from your heart. It's perfect. I am so sorry your most special boy had to leave.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

You were there, through every depressive episode, you listened to every draft of my dissertation, snoozed while I worked through lectures—not every dog can say they earned a doctorate, but in your own way you did.

:lol:wub: He earned a doctorate and more -- the admiration, respect, and love of you and your DH.

I'm so sorry he had to leave, and suddenly. Many many hugs to you and your DH.

Rest well, incredible Patrick.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Patrick was a very lucky boy to have been so loved - not every hound is given that gift. But it sounds like he knew how good he had it & gave it right back. I'm so sorry it was his time to leave you. Godspeed Patrick! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis