I'm Afraid Something's Not Right With Lydia

I hate even writing these words, because I can't bear the thought of something being wrong with her, but I just have a feeling that something is "off". You know how you can be so finely atuned with your dog that you are sensitive---probably TOO sensitive---to every little nuance? That's what I'm feeling today. This morning when I let them all out, she was acting funny. They have to go down our outside steps (we live on the second and third floors) to pee. None of them are crazy about going up and down except Tess. They are all getting older. Lydia usually goes down and I have to tell her to pee. The neighbors surely think I'm nuts because I'm always saying, "Go pee, Lydia." She sometimes tries to do a "faux pee" and then come back up. I tell her to pee several times, and she eventually does. Well, this morning, she not only didn't want to pee, she walked around the yard, slightly agitated, back and forth, tried to go up the stairs, changed her mind, then didn't want to go up. She did pee, and after me calling her repeatedly, she came up.

She and Calvin usually follow me upstairs to the computer room, which is air conditioned. Calvin lays on his blankets on the floor, and Lydia jumps on the bed. Today, she hesitated to come up the stairs. She started and stopped several times, and finally came up. The she wanted to get on Calvin's blankets. Just not normal behavior for her.

She seemed fine this afternoon and evening. I was out, but Doug said she went up and down normally, and ate well. But tonight she was on the bed with Doug, and when I wanted her to get down so everyone could have their last out, she acted like she wanted to jump off the bottom of the bed, which we discourage because there is the wooden bed frame. I had to coax her off the side. When she went out onto the porch, she seemed slightly disoriented, I had to coax her down again, and again she was wandering around the yard. She did pee, but I had to ask her several times to come back up. Then she didn't want to go back up to the bedroom again, or get on the bed.

I know this is long, and maybe doesn't seem like much to anyone else, but I'm actually scared. I know her so well, and this is not Lydia. She will be 12 in November, and every day, I can't help but think that I'm going to lose her soon. I don't dwell on this, but realistically, I know that it's possible. She's always been healthy. But she IS close to 12. The only thing different is that she pants more sometimes, but the other dogs do that sometimes too. I can't shake this feeling that something is going wrong. I think I'm having a slight panic attack, thinking that maybe she had a mini stroke or something. I know dogs can get confused as they get older, just like people, but this started today, not something gradual. It's not vestibular disease, I've seen that, and she doesn't have those symptoms. What else could be going on? I know it's hard for someone to speculate, not seeing her, or knowing her well. I guess I just need to voice this fear. I'm trying not to over-react, but it's not working. I just can't imagine losing her.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Don't panic. But do schedule a vet visit. Lydia might be having some back or neck issues that are limiting her mobility. Perhaps squatting to pee is uncomfortable for her, as is jumping up and down off furniture.

And your vet should check Lydia's vision, too. She may not be seeing as well at night (or even during the day) as she used to, and that could make her uncertain when it comes to moving around.

I've got a 12-year-old. I know the feeling.

ETA: I went through a spell where Sam tried to figure out alternative ways of doing things he always did because his back hurt too much if he did things the usual way. You'd watch him try to figure out how to lie down and think, "Surely he hasn't forgotten how to lie down!" But it was just that the usual flop-on-the-floor method was painful, and he was trying to ease into something that didn't hurt.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I have no advice for you, Nancy. I just want you to know that we will be thinking good thoughts for pretty Lydia. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

You know how you can be so finely atuned with your dog that you are sensitive---probably TOO sensitive---to every little nuance? That's what I'm feeling today. While it can be exhausting being observant, this is what makes you such a good dog mom. I wouldn't want to even speculate on what's going on with Lydia but I do hope this is just a blip on the radar for your sweet girl. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh-when I saw her name my heart skipped a beat. I lubes her. I too wonder is she tweaked her back or neck. Definety get her to your vet for a visit--she needs a good exam and blood work run. Is she currently on any medication?. Joint supplements?

Nancy--no ham sandwiches lately?

I would also go see the vet. Sending thoughts for Beautiful Miss Lydia

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

Nancy--here's another thought--I know she went to grapehounds--perhaps you might want to check her for Lyme/tick disease. The vet clinic can start by running a snap4dx test-quick and inexpensive. Vector borne diseases can can a wide range of symptoms.

FWIW, I've had a couple of my old girls act like this. It's been pain/stiffness--a sore neck, a sore leg, a weak back end. Sometimes what seems to be confusion is hesitation to do something that's uncomfortable.

I hope you can find the cause and a solution. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest MyCody

Nancy, I would do a vet visit also. Leah is going to be 12 in April and she has started to do things she never did before, laying on a bed she never went near, laying in romms she never went into, little things but still it gets your attention.

She has just been diagnosed with kidney problems but I agree with the others about what may be bothering Lydia.

She is a sweetheart and I send her gentle hugs.

hugs to both you and Lydia!

You've perfectly described my hounds who've strained a muscle or have a little stiffness. But your vet or doggy chiropractor should be able to help confirm that before there's an injury.

hope Lydia's feeling better soon!!!!

Guest bernadette

I am sorry to hear that Lydia is not quite herself. I know EXACTLY what you mean about just knowing something isn't right. I notice everything that is off with Vinnie, no one else would think twice about certain things or even notice (like scratching at his ears or biting the back of his right leg continuously or change in eating or sleeping habits).

When you know, you know. When you're in tune, you're in tune- and I absolutely love that part of my relationship with my boy.

Best wishes to you and hopefully some good news soon.

You know how you can be so finely atuned with your dog that you are sensitive---probably TOO sensitive---to every little nuance? That's what I'm feeling today.

I know exactly how that feels (in fact I am feeling it today with Merlin, who isn't even 8 yet, but has a lot of medical issues.) And I totally understand the anxiety. I hope that the vet was able to fit you in. Thinking of you and Lydia, I hope she is just having an "off" day.

Sending lots of hugs :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I would have no idea but I just wanted you to know you and Lydia are in my thoughts. I'm hoping it's something simple that can be corrected ritawayquik. :grouphug It does sound like she's hesitating due to pain though

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Nancy! :grouphug

Don't panic! It does neither of you any good. It sounds like she's starting to have some arthritis or back/neck issues - completely normal for a dog her age. Schedule a vet visit and definitely do a tick panel.

Our Copper will be 12 in a couple weeks and we've had to start him him on Rimadyl and Gabapentin for much the same thing as you describe with Lydia. The difference had been remarkable in him. He's back to running around the yard and will even try to play with Lilly a little. (75mg Rimadyl 2x daily and 200mg Gabapentin every 8 hours)

Give sweet Lydia a kiss from us!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You know how you can be so finely atuned with your dog that you are sensitive---probably TOO sensitive---to every little nuance? That's what I'm feeling today. While it can be exhausting being observant, this is what makes you such a good dog mom. I wouldn't want to even speculate on what's going on with Lydia but I do hope this is just a blip on the radar for your sweet girl. :grouphug

:nod I am the same way with mine, Bruce thinks I'm nuts. But I KNOW my dogs and can sense even the smallest change.

I agree on the vet visit, if she doesn't get back to normal.

sending Lydia (and you!) many hugs. :grouphug

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

For Lydia :dogcookie :dogcookie :dogcookie

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Lydia,, my sister from another mother ---- you just have to be ok!! Take one of these --- heck take two!

yur friend, spirit

:cookie:cookie

Nancy, I KNOW the feeling all to well, our 'Mom' radar kicks in and we go into overdrive and watch every breath they make!!

I hope Lydia returns to her normal spunky self real soon, and that it's just a little neck or back issue that will resolve on it's own.

prayers going to you and Lydia - please keep us posted on how she is feeling!!!

:hope

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Thanks, guys. She is absolutely fine! Now I know that there could be something underlying that could re-surface, and I will get her in for an exam just to see, but she is acting like her same old self for the last 2 days. This scared me so much, though, I guess because the girl IS almost 12. I looked at her in the sunlight yesterday, and noticed how silver she is in the rest of her coat, not only on her lovely face. She is thinner in that "older dog" way, nothing extreme, but just a gradual loss of the muscle tone that a dog in their prime has. She doesn't ACT like she is almost 12. If you see pictures of her, she always looks so happy to be there---wherever she is! Lydia has that unexplainable "joie de vivre" that makes her so very unique and precious, not only to me, but to everyone who meets her. I will be watching her closely, and cherishing every day.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

.. If you see pictures of her, she always looks so happy to be there---wherever she is! Lydia has that unexplainable "joie de vivre" that makes her so very unique and precious, not only to me, but to everyone who meets her. I will be watching her closely, and cherishing every day.

That is so true about Lydia. I keep going back to those pictures of her from grapehounds and in everyone she is smiling and everyone around her seems infected by her joy of the moment. Please give that sweet girl some hugs and scritches from me and a gentle nuzzle from Nadir.