Tristan's Experience With Osteosarcoma & Amputation

Guest patterpaws

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as soon as the regular office opens I'll call to see if the original surgeon has time to see him...

I wouldn't ask if they could fit him in, I would insist they see him.

Just wanted to add that my earlier suggestions were in addition to veterinary care, not in place of. Also here is the Medihoney link I forgot to add earlier.

http://www.dermasciences.com/products/advanced-wound-care/medihoney/inside-the-u-s/abstracts/

Edited by 4My2Greys

Guest patterpaws

as soon as the regular office opens I'll call to see if the original surgeon has time to see him...

I wouldn't ask if they could fit him in, I would insist they see him.

Yes. I am so upset. I gave that stupid metronidazole with no food and now I'm reading online that it is only supposed to be given with food... The vet did not tell us that! It has all sorts of horrible side effects too. the wound is still seeping intermittently. There better be a competent vet there this morning or I am going to say some things to them that I may regret.

Poor Tristan--sure looks like a systemic injection is going on. He should have the wound cultured and start on antibiotics (not metronidazole). To be honest he looks like he should be hospitalized so he may be started on injectable antibiotics. Don't understand what your vet was thinking-redness, swelling, fever=infection in my book NOT mets in the lungs.

Agreed. That vet did not seem to know what she was talking about IMHO. That is an infection and you proved it with all the pus coming out. Injectable antibiotics will definitely work a lot faster for him. Don't beat yourself up about this as infections do happen with amputations, don't let this get you down too much. Tristan will bounce back and you'll breath easier.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and Tristan.

It sure looks like an infection to me, but I am not a vet nor am I there to see in person (obviously). I would think the liquid that came out should have some pus though -- cloudy, not clear.

Once again, I am not a vet; but I think the first vet should have aspirated some of the liquid and evaluated it for infection. If any sign, should have sent it for culture and sensitivity.

If I remember correctly, he has already started on chemo. If so, be sure to talk with the oncologist about this possible infection. If he has active infection, I would think the chemo should be delayed.

Jane

oh my gosh!!!! I am sending TONS of prayers the swelling/infection goes away quickly!!!!! Please keep us posted!!!

your poor baby! :( and poor you :( :( :(

:hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm thinking about you and Tristan so much today. I know you're frustrated, and understand why you feel that way. But please know that each recovery has it's ups and downs, and at some point, things get worse before they get better. That is when the doubt creeps in and we question our decisions. Don't do it! This is likely your "worse" period, and things WILL improve! In fact, I think an uneventful recovery is the exception rather than the rule. Even though Winnie had very few physical complications, I questioned my decision regularly while she transitioned into life as a tripod. I thought she would NEVER make it up our 23 outside steps, and I had put her through the surgery for my own selfish reasons. But she proved me wrong. It took some time, but she adjusted, and showed me just how resilient these dogs are. We kinda stumble along sometimes when dealing with this monster, but you are armed with a great love and understanding of your boy, and some very helpful advice from people who have travelled this path as well. Keep fighting---you are both strong and brave, and in the prayers of a lot of people!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

The bad side-effects from metronidazole basically occur after prolonged use at high levels and manifest as neurological trouble. Really. Don't worry about that part.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

That is most definitely an infection - he can still have the metronidazole as that will help with the diarrhea, but he should have an additional antibiotic like cephalexin or maybe even Baytril at this point. Infections with amputation do happen. Some dogs will get what is called a seroma which is basically a buildup of fluid but it is painful. I think they usually drain those and then do antibiotics. Someone here in the osteo thread had a pup with a seroma once upon a time.

I agree with the above, none of these things indicate lung mets - that vet ought to be shot. It's an infection that needs to be treated, he is not dying. He is running a fever, that's why his drool is sticky and he is lethargic. Right now he has the aches and pains we have when we have the flu.

Hope you can get him in to see someone competent and I bet he'll be just fine very soon :) Hang in there and don't freak out - you're smart and medically-minded, you KNOW he's not dying :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest patterpaws

I'll write more in a bit... so exhausted right now! We FINALLY got Tristan to our regular vet, who took one look at him and knew it was a bad infection and got it taken care of. He's staying overnight and getting an IV of fluids/antibiotics. She tested his blood levels and evidently yesterday's comatose state was when he was also at his lowest white blood cell count from the chemo. She cleaned up and drained the wound, it already looks much better and he seemed to perk up pretty quickly after settling down in his comfy area with the IV. I don't know much about it, but he got a free laser therapy on his wound since there was someone on staff who wanted to try it out on him. I'm so so so relieved that he's finally in good hands.

Last night he really did seem to be in a bad way, especially when I could pick up his head and it would just dangle there limp while he had clouded over eyes, no responsiveness at all while gushing disgusting liquid nonstop. Hoping that is the "low point" so its only uphill from here.

Got no sleep last night, I think I will go collapse now... I need to come back here to thank everyone for all their kind words of advice and encouragement.

Here are some pics of Tristan in his hospital den, after his high fever finally came down..... finally, a competent vet! relief!!!

infection_vet2.JPG

infection_vet3.JPG

When we left he had to have a soft cone enhancement, doesn't he make a beautiful greyhound flower?

infection_vet1.JPG

I talked to the vet about our experience last night, she seemed rather appalled and said she'd look into it. Sounds like they've hired some new people who may still be learning the ropes. I wish Tristan had gotten this treatment yesterday instead of today, but at least now he's on the mend. :) I sure hope you guys are right, that after this he'll bounce back better than ever.

Edited by patterpaws

Awww! Tristan you are a gorgeous greyhound flower! Nose kisses to you!

Hoping as well all up hill from here.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So glad he's feeling better!

Sutra was limp and despondent like that when he was very sick with pancreatitis (also an infection).

Yay for laser treatments! Jen's Zuri had some for a wound that he had and IIRC it seemed to help :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Tristan looks a lot better already!!! :yay Hope he is home soon and on the mend.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I too hope it's all good from here on in. He does look adorable in the cone :wub: He's so cute,..wishing nothing but the best for Tristan as he continues to recover.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross