Tristan's Experience With Osteosarcoma & Amputation

Guest patterpaws

Guest patterpaws

Tristan looks great! He will be a bit tired due to both the meds and also just getting used to the three legs. You will see in a couple weeks his energy will be a lot better as he heals and also gets used to being a tripod.

I can't wait! I see videos like this and get impatient, hehe:

Do you have a place where you've posted Charlie videos? The pics of him running around crazy with his stuffies are such an inspiration and were one of the reasons I decided to take the chance with this procedure for Tristan. :)

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he looks GREAT!!!! :) :) :)

gie him a kissie from me :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest patterpaws

No huge updates today. We ended up trying to take it easy today (Saturday) since Friday ended up being pretty action-packed for Tristan. Since he was doing pretty good Friday morning/afternoon, DH brought him to my work for the annual "Bring your dog to work" day. He really loved it, he ended up getting lots of treats and pets and then zonking out to sleep on his bed. He didn't have to do too much walking around, but when he did he didn't seem to have much trouble.

recovery_dogwork.JPG

That evening we may have overdid it on his walk, though. We didn't go very far but I could tell he was slowing down quite a bit towards the end.

Today I think he was really feeling it- he's hopping around much more slowly and opting to rest more instead of asking to go out on walks. He also is licking his front leg more than usual, I feel really guilty if his walking around yesterday evening hurt him. :(

Here he is in the car Friday... very happy guy! This is more typical of his "pre-Osteo" personality... totally happy, goofy, fun-loving guy!

recovery_funny.JPG

Once we got home he conked out. Here he is doing his best impersonation of a kidney bean (took his collar off to better scratch his neck):

recovery_kidneybean.JPG

He's gotten used to hopping up and down off the bed and couch... this is where he is right now!

(don't judge me for the pink walls... we rent and it came with that color!)

recovery_bed.JPG

Of course since I'm the queen of "worst case scenarios," I'm getting really worried that eventually the cancer will come back and he'll break his front leg, like the hound Berkeley. :( Before the amputation, our surgeon told us that if cancer comes back, he'll most likely have a gradual slowdown from the cancer manifesting in other organs. I guess I didn't really think through the possibility of it coming back in the other leg and having a break before we realized what was happening. I really hope we did the right thing... :wacko:

If Tristan is feeling better tomorrow I'll get a video of his new walking technique. :)

Edit... changed the title of this thread since the old one didn't seem fitting anymore

Edited by patterpaws

(((hugs))) i love Tristan photos!!!! Especially his kidney bean and in the car photo!!!

I know what ya mean about doubts, but I know you are doing the best for him and you can tell by his face he knows he is loved!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Wonderful update on your beautiful boy! He reminds me so much of my Bridge boy, Keno. Both are very handsome and very photogenic. Keep the pictures and updates coming.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Don't forget, it takes a lot more energy to hop on one front leg than to walk on two. (try hopping a certain distance that you could easily walk). My Diamond never could do the full walk again, it was too much for her. But that's ok. She didn't need to do it.

Do you have a place where you've posted Charlie videos? The pics of him running around crazy with his stuffies are such an inspiration and were one of the reasons I decided to take the chance with this procedure for Tristan. :)

I only have a few videos of Charlie and not very good ones unfortunately. I do have a lot of pics of him going crazy which he did most times when he went out with a stuffie. I see if I can upload the few movies I have as they were done with my phone and really aren't that good.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

You guys :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Before the amputation, our surgeon told us that if cancer comes back, he'll most likely have a gradual slowdown from the cancer manifesting in other organs. I guess I didn't really think through the possibility of it coming back in the other leg and having a break before we realized what was happening.

both our regular vet and the oncologist called osteo a "smart" cancer -- the cancer has almost certainly migrated to other parts of the body already, but the tumor keeps the other cancer areas in "check" and doesn't allow it to grow so that the tumor gets all the "food" to continue growing. Once you remove the main tumor, it can allow the other areas to get going then. I guess what gets going first may determine how long the next one takes to become a problem :(

and taking ONE look at any of the pictures you have posted tells me 100% that you made the right choice -- what an unbelievably happy boy he is and is doing SO well. Sending you and Tristan more hugs and prayers. I'm pulling for him!!!!! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Try not to worry about the cancer coming back, just enjoy Tristan to the fullest. He is out of pain and that is what is most important. He is such a sweet boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Try not to worry about the cancer coming back, just enjoy Tristan to the fullest. He is out of pain and that is what is most important. He is such a sweet boy.

Ditto this. Just enjoy him and keep him spoiled. :)

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest patterpaws

I'm sorry for not updating here sooner.. things were going pretty smoothly, no big changes for worse or better so didn't have much to update. We weaned him off the pain medicine, and then last Thursday (4 days ago) we had the staples taken out. Tristan seemed super worn out and "down" the day after on Friday, which I attributed to recuperating from the vet visit. He started going further downhill quickly... yesterday (Saturday) he wouldn't eat, no matter what I gave him, and the site around the amputation started swelling. He wouldn't get up to walk around at all, started breathing heavy, seemed totally out of it. He's had horrible explosive liquid diarrhea. I started back on the pain meds but it hasn't made much difference at all. I called our vet's office (they are open on weekends for emergencies) who said it wasn't an emergency since there was no puss leaking from the wound, so I tried some cold compresses to get the swelling down. Today he was even worse, he's looking awful.

We brought him into the vet today, despite them telling us its not an emergency since there's no puss.... the vet on duty seemed to think the swelling was not a problem at all, and we should be applying warm compresses. He was running a fever, but she thought it might be due to the cancer coming back in the lungs (since he's been breathing heavy). She offered some antibiotics to help with the diarrhea, even tho there's no way to know for sure if it will help. She wanted to do bloodwork and x-rays of his lungs to check for cancer. We opted for the antibiotics since we already have an appointment for a blood panel this Thursday and I wanted to talk to the surgeon tomorrow for a second opinion about the swelling.

Since getting home tonight his surgical site looks even worse, now its getting redder. The swelling is very firm, not squishy. Its also hot to the touch.

Here it is before the staples were taken out:

recovery_day5_02.jpg

and tonight:

infection2.JPG

infection1.JPG

To me, it looks pretty bad even though she didn't think so....?

He's sleeping out in the living room, I'm working in the office... I'm sooooo behind with work right now, its not even funny. I've been working day and night to try to catch up this week, which is another reason I've not been posting. I went to check on Tristan just a bit ago and he gave me a huge scare. He was laying there breathing funny with his eyes open and a strange expression. He didn't respond to me when I called for him, even when I lifted his head up he was limp, and there was a huge sticky drool hanging down the the floor. I called to him and shook him and he didn't respond... His eyes were glassed over and I really thought he was dying. He snapped out of it but he's still laying there looking horrible. He was probably just sleeping with his eyes open, but he's NEVER done ANYTHING like that before and it really scared me. I feel like a professional dog torturer and I'm really regretting making him go through this.

Edited by patterpaws

Poor Tristan :(. Just remember though that this is a temporary hurdle for him to endure. In my unprofessional opinion the site is infected internally. Just because they don't see puss yet doesn't mean there isn't infection. The extreme redness and fever to me would indicate infection. Hopefully the antibiotics will help soon. Another thing you might want to look at is the homeopathic remedy Arnica montana. It is beneficial in helping reduce the swelling and redness from injury and an amputation can certainly be thought of as an injury. Do NOT apply to an open wound though, but give internally. A coworker had knee surgery on both her knees on two separate occasions. She said post surgical swelling, redness and recovery time was greatly reduced when she took Arnica montana when she had the second surgery over the first in which she didn't.

Guest patterpaws

Poor Tristan :(. Just remember though that this is a temporary hurdle for him to endure. In my unprofessional opinion the site is infected internally. Just because they don't see puss yet doesn't mean there isn't infection. The extreme redness and fever to me would indicate infection. Hopefully the antibiotics will help soon. Another thing you might want to look at is the homeopathic remedy Arnica montana. It is beneficial in helping reduce the swelling and redness from injury and an amputation can certainly be thought of as an injury. Do NOT apply to an open wound though, but give internally. A coworker had knee surgery on both her knees on two separate occasions. She said post surgical swelling, redness and recovery time was greatly reduced when she took Arnica montana when she had the second surgery over the first in which she didn't.

I agree, it doesn't look normal to me...

I'll check out the arnica Montana, that sounds really helpful.

Came out to check on Tristan again, and his site was even more swollen. I barely touched part of it that looked super inflamed and it started seeping like a faucet. half a roll of paper towels later, almost the whole lump has been drained. it was nearly all reddish brownish liquid. he is still passed out. there is still more drainage, just when I think it's done, more comes...

Edited by patterpaws

I bet Tristan will start feeling better now that painful swelling has been drained. Poor Guy .... :cry1

I keep him in my thoughts and prayers daily.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I agree, it doesn't look normal to me...

I'll check out the arnica Montana, that sounds really helpful.

Came out to check on Tristan again, and his site was even more swollen. I barely touched part of it that looked super inflamed and it started seeping like a faucet. half a roll of paper towels later, almost the whole lump has been drained. it was nearly all reddish brownish liquid. he is still passed out. there is still more drainage, just when I think it's done, more comes...

:grouphug

Manuka honey at the incision site will greatly help with infection. Dermasciences makes a line of wound healing products called Medihoney, which is manuka honey gels and surgical pads impregnated with manuka honey.. Here is a link to several studies that were done with it in several different applications. I healed a very badly infected pressure sore on Nadir's elbow with manuka honey after he had a bad reaction to the antibiotic they had given him. Even if Tristan is okay with his antibiotics this will help speed up the healing.

(((hugs))) for you and Tristan. Hopefully he will start to feel better now.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Poor Tristan--sure looks like a systemic injection is going on. He should have the wound cultured and start on antibiotics (not metronidazole). To be honest he looks like he should be hospitalized so he may be started on injectable antibiotics. Don't understand what your vet was thinking-redness, swelling, fever=infection in my book NOT mets in the lungs.

Guest patterpaws

Poor Tristan--sure looks like a systemic injection is going on. He should have the wound cultured and start on antibiotics (not metronidazole). To be honest he looks like he should be hospitalized so he may be started on injectable antibiotics. Don't understand what your vet was thinking-redness, swelling, fever=infection in my book NOT mets in the lungs.

Oh great, the vet gave us metronidazole... We only gave one pill so far, is that bad? the vet didn't seem to know what she was doing. Oh they gave subcutaneous fluids too, hopefully that won't hurt him. I guess that could have contributed to further swelling. as soon as the regular office opens I'll call to see if the original surgeon has time to see him...

Edited by patterpaws