Tristan's Experience With Osteosarcoma & Amputation

Guest patterpaws

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks really great so far. Happy he's home with you!

I'm a big fan of artemisinin - I believe it may have helped Neyla get the 6 months post diagnosis that she had (we did only palliative care) and generally speaking, I don't think it can hurt. There's not much research on it being used with chemo, but nothing to suggest they can't be given together. I recommend the yahoo group already mentioned and linked in the osteo thread - I also posted an update somewhere in there on their current recommendations, but I have an email with a lot of information I can send to you (or anyone else facing this) if you PM me your actual email address.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

He looks really great so far. Happy he's home with you!

I'm a big fan of artemisinin - I believe it may have helped Neyla get the 6 months post diagnosis that she had (we did only palliative care) and generally speaking, I don't think it can hurt. There's not much research on it being used with chemo, but nothing to suggest they can't be given together. I recommend the yahoo group already mentioned and linked in the osteo thread - I also posted an update somewhere in there on their current recommendations, but I have an email with a lot of information I can send to you (or anyone else facing this) if you PM me your actual email address.

keep in mind you cannot give Artemisinin within 30 days of radiation treatments. We have some now but I haven't started Nube on it yet since I don't know what we'll be doing (until we see the oncologist next Wednesday).

sending many, many healing hugs to Tristan!!! :grouphug:hope

ETA: just watched the video!!! WOW he is doing GREAT! He is one amazing boy. sending more hugs to you guys.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

They also don't recommend using artemisinin during IV chemo (posting from my phone and just skimmed recent posts so sorry if this has been said already!).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

So glad he's home with you, and you are starting to see your old boy back, already!! :confetti

Your uncles emails were so touching, so care-full and sympathetic. You're fortunate to have such wonderful people right in your family!

Gentle hugs to Tristan!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest OPointyDog

Just want to add my good thoughts and healthy recovery vibes! I've been following the story as it unfolds, and wishing you well. We dealt with a surgery-or-no-surgery decision with our greyhound mix, Star, and it was absolutely agonizing. I wouldn't wish those decisions on anyone. You know your dog best, and I'm hoping for a long, happy time of spoiling ahead.

Wow, Tristan is doing great. Just a small warning, they tend to overdo it one day and slip back a little the next day -- so don't get too freaked out if he doesn't have quite as much energy sometimes.

OSU does not use artemisinin during IV chemo. They do use it as part of a metronomic protocol (low dose oral chemo given daily after the IV chemo is finished).

Your uncle seems to be a very caring and wise man.

Jane

Tristan is doing amazingly well! When I visited Twiggy the 2nd day after surgery, she was still very out of it, not herself at all, and had a hard time getting around. (Although OSU uses some pretty heavy-duty iv pain meds for 2-3 days after surgery, so that may have been part of it).

I will echo what others have said, Tristan is a very lucky boy to have you guys as his family!

Here's to continued fantastic progress!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Just adding good thoughts and best wishes. I admire how you thought this through for your beautiful hound.

By the way, I was reading along, feeling badly, but holding it together until I saw the picture of you and your boy at the vet. You had that look on your face that I believe we all have had when dealing with horrible news about our babies....and just as I looked at your face, my heart lept into my mouth because I knew the pain you were feeling.....

I wish you all the best.....you have a beautiful hound....and the love amongst all of you is so evident.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest patterpaws

(crossposting some of the medicine talk from the osteo thread)

Thank you so much for all the well-wishes! Team Tristan feels very loved. Sending out hugs to everyone and their hounds! :)

Tristan is doing pretty good on his second day home. Taking it easy for the most part. My main concern is a lack of appetite. I expect him to be taking it easy since he's just been through a lot, but he's supposed to eat when he takes the rimadyl and I can't even get him interested in fresh cooked chicken... or any of his treats...

Here he is... "Mom, I don't feel like eating chicken soup :( "

day2_no_appetite.JPG

Here's the meds he's on:

Aminocapric Acid 1 500mg tablet 3 times daily

Tramadol 2 50mg tablets 3 times daily (I could up this to 3 at a time)

Gabapentin 1 300mg tablet twice daily

Cerenia 80 mg tablet once daily

Rimadyl 90mg tablet twice daily with food

Fentanyl 50mg Patch (to be removed 7/23)

When I was writing this out I realized I didn't have the Rimadyl included in his pills this morning, I accidentally left it off the chart I made. Argh!! Maybe thats why he's not eating? I need to give him his evening dose now but he should take it with food...

For the gabapentin, it seems from what people are saying on the osteo thread, I should be giving it more often than twice daily? The pills are 300mg each so I can't space them out though. Hrm.

oops i mistook artemisinin for aminocapric acid.... I know I've read about it before, but haven't started that yet... I'll research it more. :) Thank you!

I'm sure your already aware of the artemisinin_cancer yahoo group. I have been doing a lot of reading and research on cancer treatments lately myself because my American bulldog Bruiser was just recently diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma after a splenectomy to remove a 4-1/2 lb tumor. Anyway in my digging through the internet for information I also came across this posting in another forum in which many articles were cited and linked regarding artemisinin.

http://www.her2suppo...ead.php?t=43153

Another very promising supplement I learned about for it's anti-cancer properties and immune support during conventional cancer treatments was AHCC (Active Hexose Correlated Compound).

Here is the link to numerous published studies from the AHCC research website.

http://www.ahccresea...hed-studies.php

I feel that this would be especially of benefit to Tristan since you are starting early with the chemotherapy. Bruiser by the way is also going through chemotherapy (doxorubicin) with no noticeable effects. I just received the AHCC yesterday but I have had him on a high Ig colostrum supplement for immune support.

A gentle :kiss2 for Tristan and a big :grouphug for you.

Wow, thank you so much for the info!! I'm so glad Bruiser is doing well on his chemo. Go Bruiser!!! :)

They also don't recommend using artemisinin during IV chemo (posting from my phone and just skimmed recent posts so sorry if this has been said already!).

Good to know, thank you!

Wow, Tristan is doing great. Just a small warning, they tend to overdo it one day and slip back a little the next day -- so don't get too freaked out if he doesn't have quite as much energy sometimes.

OSU does not use artemisinin during IV chemo. They do use it as part of a metronomic protocol (low dose oral chemo given daily after the IV chemo is finished).

Your uncle seems to be a very caring and wise man.

Jane

Yep I think he probably overexerted himself yesterday, he is taking it easy today. I'm glad he's getting his rest now, I'm sure his body will need lots of it to heal.

My Uncle is pretty amazing, he's a very caring man. :)

Had Tristan been eating up until today? If he's not eating at all, I wouldn't give the Rimadyl. I'm wondering if his lack of appetite may be more from the chemo than pain from the surgery...

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest patterpaws

Yeah I'm wondering that too. He was eating up until today. I was told the effects of chemo are delayed so that makes sense...

I've gotten him to drink some broth, but thats about it. If he eats anything I'll give the rimadyl but otherwise hold off.... I just worry that he'll be in more pain if he misses his doses.

Edited by patterpaws

He's most likely not eating because of the fentanyl patch. I have never seen a gh eat while one was applied. Bet he'll eat better once it's removed. Maybe you can syringe enough meat baby food into him so you can get his rimadyl into him (should always give rimadyl with food).

It might be that he needs the patch peeled back a bit-sometimes the full strength is too much, even though he's a big boy.

tbhounds-Pinky chowed down every meal after her surgery (she even ate half a can of TOTW shortly after she woke up from surgery), but, at this point I'm fairly certain that she really is somewhat of a freak of nature :P:lol

The surgeon did say to let him know if I thought she needed it peeled back and he would have us come in (don't do this yourself, it's a controlled substance).

Also don't be surprised if the area where it's applied takes longer to grow hair-Pinky had a bit of a bald spot for a while where hers was:

9548f340.jpg

Hoping Tristan had a good night and that he will be interested in eating. IIRC you said his system is delicate? I was going to suggest a PB&J sandwich or something along those lines, but that might upset his tummy. Some mashed potatoes, maybe? Sutra liked the Bob Evans premade mashed potatoes that you get in the refrigerated section at the grocery store...something about those was more appealing than the Country Crock brand or the instant kind that you can make at home :dunno Those, plus vanilla Ensure, are what got him eating again when he wasn't wanting to eat. :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I had luck with slippery elm, syringed before or with liquidized food, for my failing IBD girl Happy. It soothes the digestive tract, which can be pretty upset by the pain meds and all. If you can find the powder, mix it with cold water (shaking it up in a jar works), to add to food. If you mix it thick, it's very glutinous, which is fun. :P

You might also have some luck adding Nutritional yeast to the food, since most dogs like the taste, and once in, the b vitamins stimulate appetite as well as generally supporting the whole system. I've kind of backed off recommending NY, at least long term, because of the vague possible connection to bloat (very tentative possible connection), but it might be just the thing now, short term.

Watching and sending good thoughts!

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest patterpaws

Tristan is doing better today regarding eating. I finally tempted him with dried turkey hearts, and once he ate one of those he was willing to eat a few other treats too. I also got him to eat a small portion of a can of Alpo. Maybe the Fentanyl patch is wearing off...

Also during an afternoon pee break, he was very insistent that we open the door to the car for him, so we took him on a ride. Once in a new neighborhood he wanted to go for a walk, and went about 2 blocks before he needed a break, and he FINALLY poo'ed for the first time since the surgery (at least for us, he might have already when he was boarded at the vet) He's getting better with his hopping gait but still figuring things out. DH came to pick us up when Tristan got tired, so we wouldn't over do it. He seemed very happy to go for a ride. :) Before this situation, we were without a car for about 6 months (DH was rear-ended and it totaled his car, mine was stolen and stripped for parts. We actually FINALLY just purchased a car right when Tristan was barely starting to limp... I was really sick of taking the bus and riding my bike everywhere! We chose a Honda Fit in part because it has so much cargo space for Tristan.)

recovery_day3_outing.jpg

It might be that he needs the patch peeled back a bit-sometimes the full strength is too much, even though he's a big boy.

tbhounds-Pinky chowed down every meal after her surgery (she even ate half a can of TOTW shortly after she woke up from surgery), but, at this point I'm fairly certain that she really is somewhat of a freak of nature :P:lol

The surgeon did say to let him know if I thought she needed it peeled back and he would have us come in (don't do this yourself, it's a controlled substance).

Also don't be surprised if the area where it's applied takes longer to grow hair-Pinky had a bit of a bald spot for a while where hers was:

9548f340.jpg

Hoping Tristan had a good night and that he will be interested in eating. IIRC you said his system is delicate? I was going to suggest a PB&J sandwich or something along those lines, but that might upset his tummy. Some mashed potatoes, maybe? Sutra liked the Bob Evans premade mashed potatoes that you get in the refrigerated section at the grocery store...something about those was more appealing than the Country Crock brand or the instant kind that you can make at home :dunno Those, plus vanilla Ensure, are what got him eating again when he wasn't wanting to eat. :)

Hmmmm mashed potatoes might be a good idea! Ensure too. I'll take a trip to the grocery store tomorrow. I need to get some hot dogs and disgusting plastic-wrapped-cheese-squares for hiding pills too.

Tristan's patch is on his lower hind leg... thanks for the warning so I don't freak out if it stays bare a while. If it had been on his bald butt it wouldn't have mattered! ;)

I had luck with slippery elm, syringed before or with liquidized food, for my failing IBD girl Happy. It soothes the digestive tract, which can be pretty upset by the pain meds and all. If you can find the powder, mix it with cold water (shaking it up in a jar works), to add to food. If you mix it thick, it's very glutinous, which is fun. :P

You might also have some luck adding Nutritional yeast to the food, since most dogs like the taste, and once in, the b vitamins stimulate appetite as well as generally supporting the whole system. I've kind of backed off recommending NY, at least long term, because of the vague possible connection to bloat (very tentative possible connection), but it might be just the thing now, short term.

Watching and sending good thoughts!

I hadn't heard of slippery elm before! Will add it to my shopping list. :) We have some NY at home (we put it on popcorn sometimes), I'll try that too! Thank you!! :)

Edited by patterpaws

YAY Tristan! I'm so happy he continues to do good, and now his appetite is picking up.

Next car ride should be to Mickey-D's for a plain (cheese only) McDouble hamburger. :chow

Spoil the boy rotten and give him a BIG puppy hug from us!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Tristan looks great!!! So very happy for you both. We have used slippery elm as well and it does work well. One thing as an FYI about the patch, be careful trying to remove part of all it yourself. It was bothering our Charlie and causing him to pant, etc. so we tried peeling it off (after several days of having it on) and it was the first and ONLY time he snapped at us. He didn't get us but could have as he was so fast. Being such a gentle soul I knew right away that I was stupid as I should have known better and we left it for a bit longer but then muzzled him to remove part of it. So be careful as Tristan may be sensitive.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh my, Tristan is doing so well! He is an amazing dog.

If you do try to remove the patch yourself, be very careful as CharliesDad says. You can use some vegetable oil to help loosen the adhesive if necessary. Also don't touch the underside of the pad -- unless you want to get a little high yourself :colgate .

As the chemo progresses, you might find that Tristan is turned off by certain smelly foods. But for right now, smelly foods will probably entice him.

Give your boy a nose kiss from me.

Jane

he's looking great! :) sending more hugs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

He looks wonderful and so lively! I noticed that Pinky, who has always been very much a "follower" in our pack, really became more sure about what she wanted and needed for HERSELF after her surgery. It's been an interesting experience to see that change :)