Tristan's Experience With Osteosarcoma & Amputation

Guest patterpaws

Oh, lookit you, Tristan!! :wub: Amazing! I'm so impressed that he wanted to take a walk already! Can you imagine if it was one of us whiney humans?? :lol So much to learn from our dog friends!

A note on removing sticky bandage-stuff, which might apply to a fentanyl patch too (though I haven't had this experience). I used a squirt bottle with olive oil to squirt-soak a bit of bandage, peel ever-so-carefully, squirt-soak along the newly exposed underside, pause, peel, repeat. Once it's all off, which the oil made fairly easy, what's left is nice healthy olive oil, which is good for the exposed or irritated skin, and also fine if licked off.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest patterpaws

Tristan is continuing on the path to recovery! Today was another relaxing day for the most part, though we took another car ride and walk at Tristan's request. He is not subtle in his requests! Walks right over to the car door and gives that "Well? Come on, lets go!!!" look. :wub:

When we got out of the car and started the walk, he really hopped along fast! I was late in getting the camera out, but got some footage of him walking. I'm an animator so I'm especially interested in studying gaits- its interesting how he's going through a learning process with the loss of his leg. I can see some wobbliness and hesitation as he walks, but he's getting better at it. I plan on taking videos throughout his learning process to see how he adapts and changes his gait style. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdJ9Rd9mxqM&feature=youtu.be

Thanks to all your wonderful suggestions, I've been able to keep him fooled with the pill packages. :ph34r

One development is swelling in his remaining front leg. Its hard to see in this photo, but its definitely puffed up and seems uncomfortable for him. I tried heating up some wet washcloths and wrapping his foot in them, but didn't seem to make much difference. I know one suggestion was to keep the foot elevated, but its hard to do that with the way he lays on it. Hoping the swelling goes down on its own? Maybe the walk was too much for him- we didn't go very far, and stopped as soon as he got tired (DH came to pick us up).

recovery_day4_05.jpg

I got some more shots of his ghastly war wound too. Doesn't seem a lot different from when we came home- the edges are a bit crusty but otherwise looks ok? I didn't get a shot of it, but the excess internal liquid has moved mostly down his chest, like a jiggly flap underneath. It seems smaller already compared to when he first got home.

recovery_day4_03.jpg

Here's one after I was messing with him a while (putting the warm towel on his foot, taking photos of his battle scar, ect) He was putting up with it but I think he wanted me to leave him alone. He took a nice long nap afterwards. ;)

recovery_day4_01.jpg

Oh, lookit you, Tristan!! :wub: Amazing! I'm so impressed that he wanted to take a walk already! Can you imagine if it was one of us whiney humans?? :lol So much to learn from our dog friends!

A note on removing sticky bandage-stuff, which might apply to a fentanyl patch too (though I haven't had this experience). I used a squirt bottle with olive oil to squirt-soak a bit of bandage, peel ever-so-carefully, squirt-soak along the newly exposed underside, pause, peel, repeat. Once it's all off, which the oil made fairly easy, what's left is nice healthy olive oil, which is good for the exposed or irritated skin, and also fine if licked off.

Thank you for the suggestions on how to take off the patch! We're scheduled to take it off tomorrow... eep. I'll try the olive/veg oil trick :)

I agree, we have so much to learn from our houndies! Live in the moment, make the best of what you have! :)

He looks wonderful and so lively! I noticed that Pinky, who has always been very much a "follower" in our pack, really became more sure about what she wanted and needed for HERSELF after her surgery. It's been an interesting experience to see that change :)

Yes its interesting to see them adapt! Tristan seems more apt to ask to go outside (instead of being stoic and waiting until we jingle the leash), it does seem like he's becoming more willing to ask for what he needs.

YAY Tristan! I'm so happy he continues to do good, and now his appetite is picking up.

Next car ride should be to Mickey-D's for a plain (cheese only) McDouble hamburger. :chow

Spoil the boy rotten and give him a BIG puppy hug from us!

Tristan would be happy to report that we followed this suggestion, and he LOVED it!!! :chow:)

Edited by patterpaws

Tristan is looking good! So happy for you guys! Gooo Tristan!!!!!!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I think his battle wound looks great! I'd imagine some of the swelling in the other leg is some of that fluid from his "flap" on his chest. Pinky had A LOT of fluid for about the first week, and it pooled and seemed uncomfortable for her after she'd been up for any amount of time. I just sat with her and tried to move the fluid around so it wasn't pooling. Warm compress (I used my rice bag) helped make it easier to move around. I also put ice on it at times too.

Also, that leg is now bearing an amount of weight it didn't have to before, so, that leg is going through some adjustments too.

It's so awesome that he's asking for rides :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

What a sweetheart and a fighter! Continued good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

the swelling can also be from the excess liquid you are seeing in the chest area, too, just moving down into that area. When Rainey got sub-q fluids (after her first pancreatitis attack) the fluid moved from her shoulder to the chest and then down to her legs, they were swollen for a couple days.

he does look great! that wound is much better looking than Nube's stapled up belly (bloat surgery in 2006).

continuing to send healing prayers!!! :hope :hope

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

His gait has this interesting syncopation, doesn't it? I wonder if it's from him still learning the rhythm change (from 1-2-3-4, through 1-pause-2-3-4, to 1-2'3), or if maybe his left knee (??) is stiff? It will be interesting to watch the evolution there.

I LOVE that he's already so engaged with his world! Sniffing and marking, wanting to explore! Way to go, Tristan! :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest patterpaws

I hope I'm not updating this too frequently... just wanted to give a quick post to say that Tristan is continuing to do great! We even took him for an outing to the park where he could sniff other dogs- I think he really enjoyed it. He's getting better at his new gait too! We removed the pain patch (using the oil technique you guys suggested!) which I think has perked him up some. He even greeted me at the door with his skunk toy when I got home, bouncy and happy. :)

Here are some pics from today. I should have taken some at the park, but instead only remembered to bring out the camera when we got back home and he laid himself out as a slab on the floor. You can see how the wound is healing- hardly any bruising left and the swelling has all but disappeared, and its not even a week since the surgery! The swollen foot only lasted a day, now its back to normal too. I decorated him with happy toys to offset the ghastliness:

recovery_day5_02.jpg

An obligatory shot of his snoozing shnozz...

recovery_day5_03.jpg

Xan- I agree with your observations! I wonder if the offset timing is from stiff joints or learning the gait? He did seem a bit more smooth with his walking tonight. I'll try to take another video in a bit to compare. :)

Kim and Kristin- I think you are right about where the swelling was coming from... I once had a bunny who had near kidney failure, and I had to give subcutaneous fluid every night for a while while he was recovering. I remember how the water would form a "hump" and then kind of slosh around in there, sometimes "falling" over to his chest until his body was able to absorb it. I'm glad Tristan's foot didn't stay swollen long! Bloat surgery.... ahhh that must have been scary! Poor Nube has been through a lot. I love hearing about Pinky too, she is such a sweetheart and role model. :)

Edited by patterpaws

I am soooo glad Tristan is doing so well!!!!! The surgery site looks greyt!!

Love the updates- keep them coming.

Edited to add-the pic reminds me of the movie ET where ET was hiding in the closet with all the toys :-)

Edited by tbhounds

Guest patterpaws

Yes, it is very much like that E.T. scene! I love seeing pics of greys buried in their stuffie collections :D

Edited by patterpaws

You are definitely not updating too much! I love the updates and love the photos! SMOOOCHIES for Tristan. Keep it up big guy!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Tristan continues to look great! Love the pics of him.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

he is REALLY looking great! and loving his stuffies :)

sending more hugs to your handsome boy! :):grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

He is so handsome :wub:

After Pinky had her surgery, I think I updated at least once a day. Besides my family, the people here had had their thoughts and prayers with us from day one and this was the only place to talk with people who would understand and actually CARE about how she was doing.

What I'm trying to say is that we love updates (love the photos too but don't feel like you HAVE to have new photos just to post an update). When you said that he still had the light and the fight in his eyes, I had a feeling that he would recover well :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

It's amazing to me how well he's doing!! What a relief that has to be to you.

As everyone is saying, we crave updates, pics, videos .... :P But, don't add us to your to-do list if it becomes a hardship, you know?

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

just checking in on your boy :)

Guest patterpaws

Yay I'm glad you guys enjoy seeing Tristan updates. I want to get more photos of him over the weekend. For now here's one of him relaxing in his favorite spot in the yard:

Tristan_in_yard.jpg

This pic kind of sums up how he's been this first week for the majority of the time. He's adjusting remarkably well overall! He does get tired easily despite having enthusiasm for getting outside and hopping around. I'm not sure whether this is because he's still on medication (Tramadol, Gabapentin, and Rimadyl) or because... well, its only been one week since the surgery, and I'm sure his body is still doing some major healing! I sometimes have flashes of doubts when I see how he gets tired so easily, but then I remind myself that his body needs time to heal and it will take some time for his strength and stamina to come back. Also he seems MUCH more comfortable now that the cancerous leg is gone. I guess I'm just impatient to see Tristan back to being 100% again. :)

He went for a vet checkup yesterday, they said his bloodwork looks good but the white count hasn't dropped yet from the chemo, so we have another checkup next Thurs. I have to admit the cost has been a little overwhelming. I really hope this ends up giving Tristan a year or more of happy life. :)

Oh also good news! They did a biopsy on the removed bone and a lymph node... bone tested positive to osteosarcoma, which we expected... but the good news is that there was no cancer spread to the lymph node! So I'm hoping that is a sign that he'll make a complete recovery.

I sniffed out some adoption groups in the area, so when he's got a little more strength I think I will take him to some meet-n-greets to hang out with the local hounds. :) One wicked side effect of looking in to this..... I'm REALLY tempted by the cute other hounds up for adoption. I wouldn't want to make Tristan jealous tho, or get a companion hound who might knock him off balance.... or get another hound who bonds with him, and then have to go through a grieving process if the cancer does come back.

Edited by patterpaws

Tristan looks great! He will be a bit tired due to both the meds and also just getting used to the three legs. You will see in a couple weeks his energy will be a lot better as he heals and also gets used to being a tripod.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.