Tristan's Experience With Osteosarcoma & Amputation

Guest patterpaws

Guest BlueCrab

Wow. I've been on GT only sporadically recently due to work stuff, so I'm only just reading this now - start to finish. You've been through so much. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. Those of us who haven't been through it feel some guilt about it, I think. But I know I also wonder "what would I do"? Continued good thoughts for a gentle and easy recovery. Sorry for the speed-bump at the vet's, but it sounds like he's feeling some better now that the infection's been tackled.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so glad he is now getting appropriate treatment.

Infections occuring during chemo are scary. When white cells are down due to chemo, the body has reduced defenses to fight off infection. So it is really important to take the dog to the vet immediately if the dog develops a fever or you see evidence of infection (I know that you did this, just writing it for the general public). There is a risk of body-wide infection that can be very, very serious. I am so glad he is at the vets getting IV antibiotics.

I am not trying to make excuses for the first vet -- I do think she did a bad job. Did she do a CBC and see normal or slightly low white blood cell levels (low levels due to chemo plus higher levels due to infection)? Did she not know that he was receiving chemo? If yes to both questions, she may have been "treating the labs" and determined that it couldn't be an infection because the white cells were normal. Of course that doesn't excuse her because there was a huge red hot lump that clearly says infection.

Jane

I think your greyhound flower is going to amaze you with how good he'll feel.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

continuing to send Tristan and you more prayers! :hope :hope :hope:kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

So many *Whew!* experiences with Tristan! :blink: I'm so relieved to read he's in good care now, and I hope you're getting some much-needed rest, too. I just wanted to tell you about a friend of mine who's greyhound lived for 3 very happy and energetic years post-amp.

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

No updates in almost a week...I hope everything is ok.

I know :unsure:(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Worried here as well. Hope Tristan is doing okay.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest patterpaws

Ahh I'm so sorry to worry everyone! Things are actually FINALLY turning around here. Tristan had to be hospitalized for a few days and on a bunch of medication after that. It was so stressful for both him and us! But I think he's finally turned a corner and is doing much better. I'm sorry for not updating sooner! Its been pretty hectic- with my regular work and also I took on some extra contracts to help pay for the vet bills.... busy busy. DH is away this week so I'm on full hound (and kitty!) duty while he's away. I'll try to get some photos and video of Tristan up soon so you can see him feeling better.

You guys are all so wonderful, Tristan and I are honored that you would check in on us! :beatheart Been thinking about all of you too (gotta go comment on some threads, been especially thinking of the other houndies going through osteo)

:yay so glad to hear Tristan is feeling better. Too many loses around here lately due to this disease and we need Tristan to kick it's butt.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

oh thank GOD. I've been worried too without any updates. Glad he's doing better! :)

Oh PHEW!!! Could you hear my sigh of relief from there? So glad to hear some good news!

Keep it up Tristan! Kick this monsters butt!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

*Thank you* :bighug:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so glad to hear that he is recovering well from the infection.

Twiggy had a scary infection in her incision and had to be hospitalized for it as well.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you, but it is thought that infection during recovery generally results in more favorable long-term outcomes in osteo patients. They don't know exactly, but think the infection sort of "wakes up" the hound's immune system and helps suppress any stray osteo cells. This was the first thing Twiggy's oncologist told me when I told him about her infection.

We haven't seen any pictures of that gorgeous boy in a while (hint, hint)!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties