Nadia, Duchess Of Blackwood, May 11, 1999 - June 4, 2012

MarcR

In March of 2004, Linda Lyman, president of Greyhound Friends of NJ called to ask if I could foster a returned hound. I said yes, but was leaving for a ten day dive trip in about a month. Linda brought Nadia to me at my regular meet-and-greet. It was immediately apparent there was something very special about the beautifuk red girl. By the end of that event, she had a pending adoption (not me).

She came home with me and made herself quite comfortable (pretending to be demure)

DSC00135.jpg

The pending adoption fell through. It took me all of about five minutes to fail fostering.

As time went on, I learned that "demure" was an act. She was, in fact, a brazen little hussy. At meet-and-greets if she felt she wasn't getting the attention she so deserved, she woul roll on her back, smile and air snap until somebody - anybody - rubbed her belly. She chattered like a jack hammer.

It was clear there was also something very regal about her. Perhaps it was her bearing

IMG_0927.jpg

or the way she held her head

Diva-2.jpg

Princess didn't fit. Diva wasn't quite right, either. Then I took this photo

Nadia_001.jpg

and knew. She was Nadia, Duchess of Blackwood.

In early April this year, on a Sunday, she was having some sort of digestive distress and refused any food, even peanut butter. So I skipped her heart meds for the day. On Monday, she was feelin a bit better and had some yogurt and scrambled eggs. I took her to the vet, but blood work and x-rays were normal, but she had lost considerable weight. She had her regular meds. Early that Tuesday, she was again in gastric discomfort. I was able to get her settled. She started feeling better and had more yogurt and some boiled chicken and rice. Again, I skipped her heart meds. One of those was digoxin, which can have side effects very much like the signs she was exhibiting, After consulting with her cardiologist, I decided to stop her heart meds.

Over the next few weeks her appetite improved. Attempts to reintroduce kibble were unsuccessful as was adding mixed vegetables. Her appetite remained good. She enjoyed both chicken and turkey with rice.

On Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, she had another occurrence of gastric upset. She was clearly in pain. With the help of Pat Tarditi ((Phillypups) and her full size van, we took her to the e-vet. Blood work, x-rays and cardiogram were OK. She was admitted over night so the could perform an abdominal ultrasound in the morning. That revealed a mass on her intestines about the size of a hen's egg. A needle biopsy was "inconclusive", but given her weight loss (she was down to 45 pounds) I had little doubt.

This Monday she was clearly in distress. I could tell from her eyes that it was time to let her go. Once more, Pat graciously offered to drive us to the vet Fully expecting I would have to carry her, I had put the other girls in the yard so that I could open all the doors from my office to the driveway. I went out to the driveway with Pat to get the van ready. When I looked up, here came the Duchess, walking slowly towards me. I guided her to the van and she jumped in under her own power. It must have taken all her strength to accomplish that. As we drove out of the neighborhood, she stood in the back, looking out the window. It was as if she knew she was taking a final look at her domain. She always did things on her terms.

Mostly, I am at peace, but there are times when I can feel the shards of my heart rattling around in the hole she has left behind.

Nadia, my beautiful duchess, I will miss you forever.

Dad

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry Marc. I have so many tears I can hardly type.

It's never, ever easy, but so much harder when it's a special soul like Nadia.

She'll rule over the Bridge like she ruled her domain here.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest avadogner

Marc,

I am so sorry about your Nadia. She truely was a Grand Dam. I can perfectly picture the regal tilt of her head as you described her so sweetly. I am glad you were able to do it on her terms and before her suffering grew too much. Our Ava was a sassy, regal lady like your Nadia. We lost her in March and being able to it at home in my arms where she was comfortable and not afraid lessened the trauma. I can empathize with your feelings of heartbreak and missing a piece of your heart. I am so sorry for your loss. Perhaps our Greyt Royal Ladies are holding court at the Bridge being their sassy selves and enjoying themselves.

-Alicia

aka Ava (angel) and Augie's Mum

That's a beautiful tribute, Marc, worthy of The Duchess. I'm so sorry she had to leave, albeit in the most dignified possible way.

:f_red :f_red :f_red

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest IrskasMom

I am so very sorry Marc . She truly was a Beautiful Girl . We will miss her :f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

Edited by IrskasMom

I'm so sorry that The Duchess had to leave. Everyone here loved her. All of us were her "Loyal Subjects."

Run Free Nadia. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so sorry for the loss of your incredible girl.

Godspeed, Nadia.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She was well named, and lived her life well loved. Marc, I'm so sorry for the loss of your most special Duchess Nadia. :grouphug

Godspeed girl f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest PhillyPups

Marc,

My heart is broken for and with yours. :bighug

The Duchess certainly did it in her own time, with all her dignity and grace. The Duchess of Blackwood will rule the bridge at The Queen's side.

Run with the angels beautiful Nadia, you are with the very very best. I feel honored to have known you. ~

Guest goofydog

What a beautiful girl she was. Stories of The Dutchess always lifted my heart and now those stories will help to ease the pain I feel for you. Godspeed Nadia.

I had the honor of meeting the Duchess, not once, but twice. She clearly made her wishes and expectations known. I well remember her lying on the pillow, regal, claiming her right to be there.

Marc, thank you for sharing her with us. Your gem will be missed by so many. Though it was her time, we still feel the pain of your loss. As said before, she will reign over the Bridge.

Marc, I am so sorry, she was a beautiful girl and very loved. Your tribute was beautiful.

:bighug

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Oh Marc, I'm so very sorry. I know your heart is broken. Godspeed sweet Nadia.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so very very sorry.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest sirsmom

From reading the funny little scolding-but-proud tales about Nadia and her day to day antics, I knew she was your favorite. God bless during this difficult time.

Perfect tribute for your regal Nadia. I am so very sorry for your loss and for ours. She was special and knew it, too. Hugs to you and your Joisey girls.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Your extremely moving tribute brought me to tears. :weep The energy of her royalty permeates and radiates from her beautiful pictures. For some reason this reminds me of something George Patton said when referring to our country's finest-the very special ones: 'It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men [hounds] who have died. Rather we should thank God that such men [hounds] lived." What an honor, what a joy you can always carry with you, to know that of all the people on earth she picked you to bless with her all. :grouphug

:f_red:f_pink :f_pink :f_red