Stormy ( Dc Major Storm )

Wiscogreysmom

It has taken me a while to come here to post this tribute to our boy, so soon after having to say good by to Andy.

Stormy was born in Oklahoma, and was one of our racers. He came to Wisconsin on March 2, 2000, along with his partner in crime, ( though not a littermate ) Red. They stayed here until January of 2001 and then went off to racing school. He had a pretty decent racing career, starting out on Florida on the Jacksonville - Orange Park circuit, racing for B & J Kennel. ( for Bill & Cathy , who some of you recognize from here ) I guess that he must have been a somewhat memorable racer, as long after he retired, Bill would ask about him whenever we would happen to see him in Abilene at the NGA meets. After racing in Florida, he moved to Dairyland in Wisconsin and retired in 2004. His trainer from there would always ask about him too, whenever we would see him, either at the track or an adoption event.

We brought him home, sort of intending to keep him here till he could be placed with a group, and he somehow just never went any further. He and Andy got to be buddies, and he learned to live with our two cats. He was always the more quiet and reserved one of the two. I have to think hard of the number of times that I ever heard him bark. Most of the time to get a "woof" out of him was doing pretty good. He loved to have people visit, and thought that if they were here at the house, it was just to see him. He would stand next to anybody and lean on them as long as they would pet him, or scratch his ears and so many people would comment on his soft, soft hair and say that he looked like a tiger dog.

He had always been a happy, healthy boy until about a year and a half ago. He started to loose his toenails, and the vet figured it was SLO. We treated for that, and got the nails to grow back. Then in the early fall of last year, he developed what was eventually diagnosed as IBD. Poor boy spent a couple of nights at the University Vet Hospital, and that was the first that he had ever been away from home since he came. We made many trips back and forth, but got that under control. Through all of that I just never had a bad feeling that it wasn't something that we could treat and make better. Then this fall, he started to limp on his back left leg.He was having a little trouble with some of the toenails again, so I was hoping it was just that or that he had pulled or strained a muscle. It did not get better, and this time I had a bad feeling. X-rays comnfirmed that there was deterioration of the bone, and was most likely osteocarcoma. We made the decision that we would treat for pain, and give him the best life we could, for as long as we could. He had been doing well with the pain meds, but started to limp a little more just after Andy died. Saturday morning he woke me up and was a very sick boy. We went to the vet, and blood work showed pancreatitis. We also did an x-ray of the leg and the bone had deteriorated more. We went home to try to get the pancreatitis under control, but as the day went on, things just did not get better, and the pain meds seemed to not help. We made the heart breaking decision to let him go and join Andy at the bridge.

Our house is so, so quiet now. I still am listening for the jingle of dog tags, or the sound of an animal stampede when I am downstairs. My floor is empty here in the computer room, and there are no noses poking around the corner to greet me when I come home at night. I know it will get easier, but right now it really sucks.

Thank you Stormy for bringing so much joy to our lives and being such a good boy. We miss you very much, and you and Andy will always be in our hearts.

StormyMarch200.jpg

Stormy.jpg

When he first came to Wisconsin.

Stormy34-15-06.jpg

April 2006

StormytheStocking12-27-07.jpg

One of the few times he ever got in trouble

12-3-08Stormy2.jpg

December 2008

12-24-11Stormy1.jpg

Christmas Eve this year

12-25-11AndyStormy11.jpg

Our boys are together again. Painfree, waiting at the bridge.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for your loss, Wanda.

Godspeed, Stormy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry Wanda. It really does suck losing two so close together. Godspeed Stormy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PhillyPups

Wanda, I am so very very sorry. What a wonderful tribute to a handsome brindle boy. Sometimes the "sounds of silence" are killers. :bighug

Run with the angels Sweet Storm, you are with the very very best~

I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be so hard losing two within such a short period of time :f_red

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

That photo of handsome Stormy on Christmas Eve, so peaceful and so content, has brought me to tears. I am so very sorry you've lost your special boy. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your handsome boy.

Run free Stormie... and find your friend.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so very sorry. I cannot imagine losing two so close together.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest wmlcml6

I just read your post to Bill, and I couldn't finish without tears flowing. Your post is beautiful, and a tribute to what a great dog Stormy was. We hated for him to leave, as we were all attached to him as if he were our own. I am so glad you decided to keep him and it sounds like he fulfilled your lives as I'm sure you did for him. HUGS to you. Rest in peace, beautiful Stormy. Have fun with your buddy Andy.

I am so sorry for your losses.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Take comfort in knowing that your sweet boys are at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so very sorry. :cry1 It's wonderful that he was able to return to you after he retired. I wish that he'd been able to stay longer. I also wish that you hadn't suffered so much loss in so short a period.

Godspeed Stormy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Geostar

We were sorry, too, to learn about Stormy, Wanda.. God bless you and keep you.. Just know that Stormy loved you as Andy did..and, yes, they are beside you now...never will leave your side. Both greys had a great life..

with sadness, -star