Chips

Guest mariah

No one's really sure where Chips came from. He was found running loose around the Dayton, OH area. Probably he was bred to be used as a water racing dog and then intentionally turned loose–I'm guessing because he had no prey drive. We don't even know how old he was exactly when he was found, but we think no more than 2 or 3.

Here he is shortly after they found him, still wearing his reflective hunting collar.

254104_180034905386084_173505612705680_489692_464502_n.jpg

From what I understand, and I didn't find out about this until a few months ago–he was adopted out once after that, but the family was not nice to him. They returned him saying that he "wasn't good with dogs". He was not well, and full of parasites. The very nice woman who rescued him took him into her home to take care of and foster until he was feeling all better. As these types of dogs are pretty common in that part of the country, she thought he would stand a better chance at adoption in MA, so she drove him out there to the adoption kennel.

Lane and I had been talking about getting a greyhound for about two years when I started volunteering Saturdays at the kennel last November. I ended up falling in love with Chips, who at that point had been there since the end of July. He had such a sense of humor, and I could tell he was smart, even then. He had worked out how to break out of his kennel. He never seemed to have a concrete plan in mind as to what to do after that–he would just run laps around the room with a big smile, riling up the other dogs. He quickly got attached to me and would wag his tail when he saw me walking in on Saturdays.

Lane started coming out there with me to meet him, and fell in love with him as well. We finally brought him home in February. Lane says that day was "one of the best days of my life." Mine too.

Here they are in the park by our old apartment in matching coats.

184876_1639616553388_1326000010_31465249_1700144_n.jpg

He was very interested by all the sights and sounds in the city. Not fearful, but very inquisitive. He loved riding the T.

He was a big hit at my work when I first brought him in, and people from all over the building would come to see the "BEAUTIFUL dog on the first floor". He became very well known around Brookline Village, as well. On one of the few days I didn't bring him into the office, a stranger on the street asked me where he was.

He came everywhere with us, and we planned our life around him. Saturday mornings we'd all go for a long "ramble" out in one of the nearby conservation areas. We took him out for frozen yogurt. He loved to go for rides in the car. We made up songs about him and would sing them to him. He became such an enormous part of the fabric of our relationship. Sometimes I would take him up to NH for the weekend to my parents' house. He did have problems with dogs when we first got him, but we were able to work through it enough that he could enjoy spending some time with some dog pals. This is him with his "uncle" Bobby, my parents' samoyed cross. They loved each other.

260259_1849636643759_1326000010_31729467_6152175_n.jpg

He was found as a stray with a dislocated toe that had healed very awkwardly. After a few months with him, we could see that it was starting to bother him. We took him to Dr. Briere at DVA at the recommendation of a few folks on this board, and she did a beautiful job with his surgery–he could finally run like a real greyhound! It was a little bit prior to the surgery that we first started noticing some of the bad stuff. I don't really want to get into it so much right now; I felt that it was because he was in pain from his foot. He did seem much better after surgery.

We had a great summer with him. We ended up moving from Brighton to Jamaica Plain, to a much bigger apartment. He liked to sit out on the balcony and watch the traffic. We went for early morning walks in the Arboretum across the street, his favorite thing to do was play in the tall grass by the Forest Hills entrance.

307734_2118635808570_1326000010_31985085_965441707_n.jpg

Because he wasn't able to take any group classes, I bought training books and taught him more advanced commands to keep him mentally stimulated. I really am a novice trainer, so can't give myself too much credit. He just picked everything up really fast. I taught him to read cues from flashcards, and he really did read them, it was amazing (and maybe a little scary!) to watch. His eyes would travel over the word from left to right, and he would think for a minute, and then do the command. We had him DNA tested, and the results came back that one parent was a purebred grey, and the other a grey/poodle cross. After that we'd refer to him as "the poodle"

The very best day we ever had was just a few weeks ago. I went up to my parents' camp in Maine with him and my dad and went for a long rambling hike through the woods up to the blueberry fields, and let him go running up and around those hills, flushing out turkeys, just having the best time. It's beautiful up there, and it was beautiful to watch him run. He'd keep coming back to check in on me, if he lost sight of me, he'd wait and watch for me to catch up. It was the one of the happiest I'd ever seen him.

Shortly after that trip was when he started to really not seem himself. The following week he had the episode in the office. He started urinating in the house, even when we were home, which he had never done, not even when we first had him. He was a healthy, hybrid-vigorous dog, it never occurred to us that the cause was anything other than environmental. Looking back on it, it makes sense. At the time, though, we thought he was just very stressed out, that we were doing something to upset him or that the behavior modification we were doing just wasn't working for some reason. Maybe he needed to be on an anti-depressant? This was something I had spoken to my vet about a few months earlier. She said, "You're doing everything right, and he seems to be getting worse."

We were very optimistic after our meeting with the vet behaviorist. Up until the very end, both of us thought it was a problem that could be fixed, something we had done wrong or had failed to do, and once we figured it out, he'd be better. It never occurred to us, ever, that we'd have to give him up, and even when it came to that–when we realized that the situation was out of our depth, we still told ourselves, "No, it must be something to do with us. We're doing something to make him unhappy." It's bittersweet in knowing how it turned out. I do think now, that those 8 months with us were probably the happiest of his short life. I think he was already "gone" those last weeks we had with him, it was nothing to do with us. When the bad stuff happened, that wasn't him. We always knew that. He had a very intense love for both of us, and we felt the same about him. Even though I was his "person", he was always happiest when we were all together–him, Lane and me. When we went for walks together, he would stand right between us and walk in step.

He was a wonderful, special dog, of course we thought so, but I think others did, too. When Lane called his dad last night to tell him that he was gone, he cried on the phone for his "grand-dog" even though he hadn't had an opportunity yet to meet him. He was a very loving dog, and he was loved just as much in return by those who knew him, me and Lane especially. It's a pity we only had such a short time with him, but we don't regret anything about the time we spent with him, and there's nothing we would have changed. If we knew before adopting him what we know now, we'd have done it all over again. He was the best thing that could have happened to us, and I think he felt the same way. I don't think we could have asked for more in a first dog.

Edited by mariah

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godspeed Chips may you run free with the wind at the Bridge. ghrun.gif Your Mommy and Daddy are very special people and they loved you very much. flowers_red.gif

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

I am so deeply sorry for your loss.........

Run with the angels Chips.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest K9Cookies

I'm so sorry about how everything worked out, but I hope you have some peace knowing that it was something beyond your control. :grouphug

Run free, Chips. :gh_run2

Chips' story you wrote brought me to tears. Indeed he was a very special loving guy. The pictures show that too. I love the one with his 'uncle'Bobby. There really are no words sufficient to describe the intense emotions Chips stirs. My deepest sympathy.

Chips, you find Minny and I guarantee you & he will have a grand time. Ya'll are so intelligent no telling what will happen but I'll be watching for an explosion of stars (or butterflies etc)-then I'll know.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

:grouphug

I'm so sorry... I followed the other thread...

I know several other people who had dogs with similar actions and a similar diagnosis... truly beyond their or the dogs' control.

He'll always be in your memory...

Run free, Chips - you were a special guy, with a special home.

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I am sorry for your loss of Chips. He definitely left too soon and I know that what you write is true, his happiest part of his life were the months he spent with you. I wish it was longer and wish he stayed that happy pup he was.

Run free Chips, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest suzanne

Oh my word, I feel so so so sorry for you, your partner and Chips. What a heart renching story. Rest assured that you guys gave him an amazing life and tons of love and nothing anyonce could have done would have helped. :( RIP Chips.

The bond the three of you shared is evident in your beautiful and loving tribute. My heart hurts for you. Thank you for giving him the best months of his life. He knew love.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so very sorry! :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I am so very sorry. I have followed your other thread on Chips and was so afraid this would be the outcome. What was so very clear was that you three shared a true bond and loved each other, and that something was very wrong. You gave Chips a wonderful life in his eight months with you. Every picture shows a boy who loved to look at his people.

Godspeed, Chips.

Oh, Mariah, you and Lane were Chips' angels. I am glad that your generous and loving spirits can see past the sadness, and cherish the wonderful times you had together, which truly were the best days of his life. You learned a lot from each other, and that knowledge, as well as knowing that you did everything you could for him, will help you through the pain of his loss.

I'm so sorry he couldn't have stayed longer.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to him is so loving and he will be one of those special dogs here on GT that I will never forget. How sad that he couldn't stay with you longer, but he was

meant to be with you and Lane and it shows on his face in your photos. You made him very happy, though I wish it could have been for years and not only months. Godspeed Chips.

:f_red

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Chips was a blessing to you as you were to him. Godspeed Chips.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Your tribute was beautiful....and your comment about doing it all over again...even knowing what you know now - truly hit home.....there are moments in our lives we would not trade for anything in the world. He was a lucky boy to have found so much love.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am so very sorry for your loss. What a wonderful gift you gave Chips by adopting him & making him an integral part of a very special family. He was a beautiful boy & so fortunate to have found you. I'm sorry the quantity of his years couldn't match the quality of his months with you. Godspeed Chips! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis