Steak's Seizures

Guest eaglflyt

I'm totally thrilled with your great Steak news. Huge hugs for Steak, you and all of your family. I'm praying that the meds work and that your boy has had his last seizure.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LindsaySF

Glad to see things are improving. :)

I do wonder about the weather, whether maybe you couldn't give Xanax (or in this case Valium) when you know it's going to storm. It's common practice with dogs with thunderstorm anxiety and if the weather is a trigger for his seizures, I would think it would be even more warranted here, but I don't know if there's a danger to using valium too frequently or whether Xanax isn't safe with his other meds. :dunno

If bad weather stresses him out, I would ask the vet for something you can give him when storms are coming. Xanax and valium are safe to give with the current meds. They could have an added sedative effect, but if it prevents seizures then it's the lesser of two evils.

~Lindsay~

• 2 weeks later...

Beth posted on her FB page that Steak has gone 2 weeks now without a seizure.

:)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry! Yes, Steak has now passed the two week mark and is doing great! He smiles so much more now and is back to the dog I knew a year ago. I've also noticed that since the med change he is hanging out in the living room with us much more now :).

Thank you all so much for the continued support.

One thing that makes me laugh is that he is taking 6 pills at each meal. For a bit I was just pilling him. But in the last week I've just put them in his food. Where most dogs eat around the pills Steak is eating them first and will even leave about half his food in the bowl. I'm thankful he eats the pills but I'm thinking he doesn't have much of an appetite anymore. When he was on the pheno he was always hungry.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest madredhare

Wow, just read through all these posts. I am so glad to hear that Steak is doing well. I love that side view picture of him. I do kind of think he is smiling. He is so handsome!

I'm so sorry! Yes, Steak has now passed the two week mark and is doing great! He smiles so much more now and is back to the dog I knew a year ago. I've also noticed that since the med change he is hanging out in the living room with us much more now :).

Thank you all so much for the continued support.

One thing that makes me laugh is that he is taking 6 pills at each meal. For a bit I was just pilling him. But in the last week I've just put them in his food. Where most dogs eat around the pills Steak is eating them first and will even leave about half his food in the bowl. I'm thankful he eats the pills but I'm thinking he doesn't have much of an appetite anymore. When he was on the pheno he was always hungry.

It could be the meds may be making him a little nauseaous. Maybe give him a Pepcid about 30 minutes before he eats. The nausea should subside as soon as his body adjusts to the meds.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Just the news I've been praying for. Kisses for handsome Steakers. :beatheart

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

What wonderful news!

Wish Steak would send some pointers to my crew about eating pills. :rolleyes:

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Wow, just read through all these posts. I am so glad to hear that Steak is doing well. I love that side view picture of him. I do kind of think he is smiling. He is so handsome!

Oh, his smiles are so much more than that!

This is a famous Steaky smile :D

(photo courtesy of Zoomdoggy)

40d7c4e7.jpg

And this one too :D

IMG_9840.jpg

And here is a funny, goofy side that I have missed. It's slowly returning, this was last year. :lol

th_VID00288-1.jpg

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

:wub::rofl What an awesome video! A few times it looked like he was going to whip Madi in the face with that thing :lol I love how Blu just comes trotting in with his own toy to show off too, and Isis on the couch with the waggle of the tail mid-roach :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

That is such good news!!! I am so happy for you both.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Iceman41

Hi

I am new to this form and also new to greyhounds but the wife and I adopted one four months ago

I have friend that has a dog that had seizers (sorry bad speller)they put a pace maker in the dog to stop the seizers