Steak's Seizures

Our dogs would not ask us to bankrupt ourselves.

No truer words.......................Isn't ironic that in general, our dogs are very stoic? (Remember, I said "in general" because I have a DRAMA QUEEN, as do so many others!) It's as if they don't want to worry us, they don't want to cause any trouble - well, except maybe Loca or Ekko or a few others who shall remain nameless. They would NEVER want us to do anything to jeopardize life, limb or our wallets, because of them. They would be horrified if they knew how distressed we become due of the cost of their care!

Beth, Steak knows you love him beyond words. You are doing everything possible for that boy and obviously, an MRI isn't going to stop his seizures. You are SO fortunate to have Judy and Heather and others with so much experience with seizures to guide and advise you!

Sending prayers and hugs of comfort.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beth,

The doxy should tide things over on the tick issue until you get tick panels back. They'll take a few days--especially with the weekend--and they may not all come in at one time. And the doctor might forget to tell you if he gets a negative result back (they're good about telling you if it's positive), so just keep asking next week.

The thing with doctors is that they often want to know why. Moms don't care about why--they just want it fixed. It's like the mechanic who insists on showing you the nail stuck in your tire, and you just want the flat tire repaired so you can get on your way.

Lots of us know the panic, the wanting things fixed, the worry about the money, and the wondering whether we're doing the right thing. And we know the dirty hair, wrinkled clothes, and no time to deal with either. All we can do is love our dogs and do what we think is best.

And what I discovered last weekend: If you have to go to the ER, a weekend visit is no more expensive than a weekday visit--and there's more staff on hand on weekends. That's knowledge no one wants, but I found it comforting to know there were good resources there.

If you can--and if you need to--look into Care Credit. You can apply on line, get instant approval, then print a form to take to the doctor when you go. I was to the point where Jacey's care was going to compromise my ability to pay next month's mortgage, so I got Care Credit and used it to pay the last batch of her bills. It costs nothing to apply, you can use the credit for dogs, kids, yourself. It's especially great for things where you have insurance that will pay part of the load, but you have to pay everything up front. Just remember that Care Credit's interest rates are terribly high if you can't keep them paid on time: don't let Steak's problems put you in huge financial trouble, especially since he may continue to be an expensive little boy.

Thinking of you all...

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I have nothing of value to add, so I'll just say that I'm thinking of you both.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I'm surprised they sent him home already since he last seized only this morning? When Sophie clustered in the beginning, they would keep her on a valium IV until she was 24 hours seizure free. The valium they injected him with is going to wear off in just an hour or two. Do you have additional valium to give at home? The valium is fast-acting, while the additional Keppra and Zonisamide will take a while to get into his system. I'm NOT trying to worry you, believe me, but he might seize again once the valium wears off, until the other meds get to high enough levels in his bloodstream. ~Lindsay~

I'm surprised they let him go home so soon too. I hope he'll be ok the next day or two, and I hope you have lots of valium on hand if he's not. I guess I don't understand their thinking since they know the IV valium drip actually works to stop the seizures, and would if it was constant for the next 24-48 hours, but they don't know if adding the Keppra will work to prevent any seizures the next 24-48 hours. At this point, I would want something that I knew worked for sure to ward off any current seizures. Once he's stable, I would then work on introducing new meds to try to control future seizures. I hope they know what they're doing and that I'm just being too cautious.

Thinking of you both and hoping Steak is finally at a point where he'll stop the cycle today. goodluck.gif

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Beth, that is the type of seizures my heart grey, Pepsi used to have. Her final one was on Aug.08/04. She began to seize at 2:30 AM and would not come out of it except when she was walked. I believe that she couldn't see by then, as when Mike walked her, she couldn't find me unless I called her name. At 3:30 that afternoon, friends drove us up to the Evet in Fort Worth. Pepsi seized the entire time in the truck and had exactly the same expression on her face (teeth bared) as Steak does.

When we got there, as Mike lifted her out of the back seat, she lost control of her bowels. The vet put her on a Valium IV and said that when she came off it, she could be the same or be OK, and of course, this could recur anytime. As she palpated Pepsi's stomach, she yelped. I made the decision right then and held her in my lap as she crossed the bridge. I just couldn't let her continue seizing.

I just went back and read the entire thread - please, do not feel bad about the decisions you have made - you made them based on many circumstances that you have no control over. BTW, Mike takes Keppra for his seizures caused by his brain tumors. The oncologist says it is better than Delantin BUT they need to watch his organs, as it can be hard on them. Has the vet mentioned this to you?

I feel so much for you as you go through this.

Viviane

Edited by Pepsi2004
pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

You are bearing more than one person should have to; but you're doing it well. Looks don't matter, what we all see is

your heart & how much you love that boy.

All I can do is send cyber hugs & prayers for Steak......but I'm doing it with all my might!!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

No advice, just hoping Steak's seizures get controlled soon. Everything you do and decide is done out of love, we all know that. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I have no personal experience with this, just wanted to add my support. You're absolutely doing everything you can for Steak and I hope you'll reach the right combination soon. I know that seizures are very terrifying to watch, and you and your girls have done a great job of staying calm and taking care of him. The fact that the girls stay calm and help him even when you're at work is a great testament to how well you're raising them, and what mature young ladies they are to put on a brave face when what they're seeing is very scary :nod

Hoping for a more restful night for you all this evening :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thinking of you both....and hoping for a better tomorrow.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Thinking of you and your sweet boy tonight.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

So far so good. He paced around a lot and he seems as if he doesn't know where he is but he isn't having a seizure so I'm good with that. He has always been the easiest dog to pill in the world and tonight he took 6 pills... all at once blink.gif. I was planning to split them up but he took one whole bite of the turkey meat that I wrapped them in and down the hatch they went.

He has been very wobbly tonight and he has fallen three times all ready. :( While at costco my husband made it home (he works in Houston during the week and only home on the weekends). I'm thankful to have another person here to help. The kids do a great job but they are kids and they got really upset last night. Kait said as I drove off with Steak they all three got into my bed and just cried together. *sigh* They are good kids and I am so thankful for the help they give me with the dogs. They love them just as much as I do. But it is nice to have another adult to help out.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Just now reading this. I am so sorry for what you and Steak are going through.

I have a question, couldn't quite be sure from reading all the posts here. Did your vet wean Steak off the phenobarbital gradually, or just stop it. Stopping it abruptly would lead to barbiturate withdrawal, and I big part of that withdrawal is seizures. I would hope that they would know better than to just stop the phenobarbital, but if that's what they did, it would definitely explain the way his seizures have escalated.

Keeping you and Steak in my thoughts and prayers.

That is a very good question. Beth, was Steak weaned off of phenobarb gradually?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest LindsaySF
He has been very wobbly tonight and he has fallen three times all ready. :(

It's hard for us to watch, but this is a good thing. If the meds are making him wobbly/drunk, chances are they are high enough to stave off seizures. :goodluck

Glad your husband's home to help too.

Just now reading this. I am so sorry for what you and Steak are going through.

I have a question, couldn't quite be sure from reading all the posts here. Did your vet wean Steak off the phenobarbital gradually, or just stop it. Stopping it abruptly would lead to barbiturate withdrawal, and I big part of that withdrawal is seizures. I would hope that they would know better than to just stop the phenobarbital, but if that's what they did, it would definitely explain the way his seizures have escalated.

Keeping you and Steak in my thoughts and prayers.

That is a very good question. Beth, was Steak weaned off of phenobarb gradually?

No, he wasn't :( That was back in April that he was taken off the pheno.

He has been very wobbly tonight and he has fallen three times all ready. :(

It's hard for us to watch, but this is a good thing. If the meds are making him wobbly/drunk, chances are they are high enough to stave off seizures. :goodluck

Glad your husband's home to help too.

Thank you, this makes me feel much better.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

So far so good. He paced around a lot and he seems as if he doesn't know where he is but he isn't having a seizure so I'm good with that. He has always been the easiest dog to pill in the world and tonight he took 6 pills... all at once blink.gif. I was planning to split them up but he took one whole bite of the turkey meat that I wrapped them in and down the hatch they went.

He has been very wobbly tonight and he has fallen three times all ready. :( While at costco my husband made it home (he works in Houston during the week and only home on the weekends). I'm thankful to have another person here to help. The kids do a great job but they are kids and they got really upset last night. Kait said as I drove off with Steak they all three got into my bed and just cried together. *sigh* They are good kids and I am so thankful for the help they give me with the dogs. They love them just as much as I do. But it is nice to have another adult to help out.

Beth, Rainey had the EXACT same behaivor on the same combo -- we called them "episodes". She would pace ,wander, act like she didn't know where she was, sniffed EVERYTHING like it was brand new! :( I would almost describe the behaivor like a chicken -- like the peck, peck, peck...but with her it was sniffing. She would like bob her head, hard to describe. It took a few days for this to go away, and any adjustment to her meds would cause the same issues. She also would be outside, pee like 5 times, then come in and just squat and pee on our carpet. :( she also was VERY wobbly after getting the Keppra, make sure you have lots of rugs down if you have hardwood floors. These "episodes" lasted anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. :(

you mentioned Steak had behaivoral changes on the pheno -- what exactly were they? His whole situation is so close in so many ways to Rainey. :(

sending you MORE hugs. Seizures SUCK SUCK SUCK. :cry1

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

So far so good. He paced around a lot and he seems as if he doesn't know where he is but he isn't having a seizure so I'm good with that.

We're keeping you and Steak in our thoughts. Hoping for a night with no seizures....where you can both rest. :hope

It sounds like it's a case of taking the good with the bad..............good; taking pills and not seizing......................bad; wobbly and fall potential. Praying for a quiet night. :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

He's probably going to be wobbly for a while. He's had a lot of drugs in a short time and I agree with Lindsay, he's hopefully got enough meds in him to keep him from seizing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PiagetsMom

Beth, I'm glad you have your DH home for help - I know you must be physically and emotionally exhausted. I hope you guys have a quiet night so everyone can rest :grouphug

Guest Javasmom

The wobbly-ness he is experience is a side effect of the drugs, he will adjust, it takes time. Much love to Steakers, you, and your sweet girls. I actually got teary eyed reading that they climbed into your bed and cried. I am glad he is not seizing and I hope you guys are through the hardest part of this. :grouphug