Steak's Seizures

Sending prayers that Steak continues to do well. It sucks to see them like that and to feel completely helpless. I myself had more than one breakdown trying to work with angel Icarus'.

Just my own 2C. I only skimmed the messages but this is always the first thing I ask when a dog starts to seize.

What kind of floor cleaner do you use?

The reason I ask is because guaranteed if I used any pine-scented floor cleaner to wash the floors, angel Icarus would seize. There were certain chemicals and smells I could not bring into the house without it causing him to seize.. the short list: Pinesol (generic pinesol and even non-pine scented ones), Febreeze (any scent), Glade Plug-ins (any scent), Lysol aerosol sprays,...

we ended up taking it all back to formula. He was fine with Mr. Clean lemon-scented so I used that to wash everything, and I avoided any scented air-freshening devices... not that I cared that my house smelled of doggie. :) I would also rinse the floors with fresh water and a clean rag after I washed them. I even changed our detergents to hypoallergenic unscented ones (though this helped more with his allergies than the seizures).

Icarus was never controlled on medications because his seizures happened with regularity regardless of the dosage. Fortunately, they were moderate to mild and more often focal... nothing like poor Steak is experiencing. He did continue to seize but much less frequently, and it more often then not showed up as head tremors similar to wobbler's syndrome. This was a matter of controlling his blood sugars as he would seize when they dropped too low.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear Steak is doing much better! I hope it continues and I hope the new combo of meds helps keeps the seizures away (or at least gives you more time in between them).

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Just had to post this, Steaky wagged his tail at my husband. Bruce was talking to him and petting his head, Steak was falling backwards and Bruce caught him and told him it was ok, then Steak looked up, kissed him and wagged his tail :wub:

You have a good man. :nod

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to hear about Steaky's play session. :wub::yay

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

:yay :yay :yay What wonderful news!:yay :yay :yay You must be so relieved!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Good boy, Steak! :yay:wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hoping for more good news and times for Steak and you!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest wmlcml6

I have not had time for GT lately, and only tonight realized this thread was here. I'm very selfishly glad I didn't read it until things got better, but I feel horrible that I wasn't around to give you support or comfort. I had to leave and come back before I could talk myself into watching the video. It's not as violent as I expected, but I've only seen one seizure (Curly Sue's - which could have actually been a stroke and her panic from it because she was partially paralyzed afterward). At the same time, having never seen a vibrant dog like Steak in this situation, it was very tough to watch.

Please never ever think you aren't doing enough. You've done more already than many would have, or even could have. I know that you love Steak immeasurably and this must be so painful for you. If you ever think he's had enough .... I won't go there ... but I respect any decisions you make. I hate they we are so helpless, and I wish I had a magic solution to offer.

I am crossing my fingers that the combination of meds will get him past his 2 week mark and someday he'll be years seizure free like Piper and Saint. Many hugs to you for taking care of him. Thank you to your whole family for loving him so much.

Aww Cathie :kiss2 You were the first person I thought of when all of this was happening but I didn't want to worry you any more than I had too. You have given me so much support and I adore you. You were so kind to me when I drove out to get Steak. Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean so much to me.

And to add to the good news for today... Steak smiled at me :yay He has not really shown that famous Steaky smile in a long time. I was shocked. I am absolutely loving having "my" Steaky back :D This is the dog that I fell in love with.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest wmlcml6

You got a Steak smile? AWESOME! He must feel better.

Don't hate me because I'm so handsome...

712-STEAK.jpg

I thought I might have a smiling picture, but didn't find one.

Edited by wmlcml6

Sounds like this combination of meds is just what he needed. I remember when we first saw little glimpses of Saints true personality emerge. What a gift that was so I can imagine how you feel. Praying for many more seizure free days ahead!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

SOOOO glad to hear he's doing better! I know how it is, ending each day, thankful there were no seizures...building 1 into 2, 2 into 4, 4 into a week....

you mentioned up until now, most have been during stormy times, which does affect barometric pressure (and Lord know what else!) -- that may be a trigger for him? :dunno During all my reading, it can even be something as crazy as the pitch of a doorbell that causes them! :dunno with Rainey, every single seizure (32 of them!!) but TWO happened either WHILE she was eating or withing 20-60 seconds of eating -- and the other two were within two MINUTES of eating. Her neuro never thought there was a corrolation caused by eating (since she didn't have one every time she ate) but obviously, eating had to do SOMETHING with it! Maybe, like Steak, things just had to be "right" (or "wrong", really! :() for them to occur. I pray the meds will raise his seizure levels so that he will have less (or none!!! :)).

sending hugs. I KNOW how hard this is! It really, really sucks to watch this happen to you your baby. :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Steak smiled? Did you hear that? :confetti He smiled! Whoo-hoo! :confetti

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

:D Yay for the Steaky smile!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Steak smiled? Did you hear that? :confetti He smiled! Whoo-hoo! :confetti

:nod So happy to hear this!! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."