Steak's Seizures

Guest Javasmom

I really hope he adjusts to the meds quickly for you. I hope Carmen and Blu chill out and accept him again, poor Steakers has been through enough.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's probably going to be like that for a couple of weeks Beth. Having both medications in his system is going to make him loopy for a bit. It will be so worth it if they give him some control over his seizures. It's hard to watch and hard to deal with. I remember those days. There's just something about our boys hitting the floor that gets to us. I remember feeling really bad when Saint would walk into the wall and hit the floor so I sympathize with you. I've got my fingers crossed that you will find the right combo of meds in the right doses to give Steak some relief.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Glad to hear Steak's been seizure free for over 36 hrs now (as far as I know). Hope he & you are getting lots of rest now.

Bless his heart, I sure hope his meds continue to do the trick for him! You are lucky to have so many wonderful people on here who have been thru this themselves and can give you some perspective & guidance to know what to expect and to realize there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Blessings to them, too.

Hang in there.

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Guest cristaron

Oh my...

I'm so glad to hear he is doing ok so far.

His whining and restlessness are do to so many different meds in

his system.

Every time we try to adjust Ron's meds, he whines and is just 'off' for a few days.

It used to really worry me but now we've gotten used to it and I know what to expect.

I am just so glad he's doing better...

Happy days for the sweet boy (and his mama)!!

:)

Guest LindsaySF

Glad to hear no seizures. :) The whining and pacing is sometimes due to hunger. When Sophie gets that way I just keep feeding her until she stops. (Sometimes it's A LOT of food). You can give green beans, low-calorie stuff that is filling but won't pack on the pounds. They drink a lot of water too. That will get better in time. Good luck moving forward!

~Lindsay~

I was just coming on to ask about the drinking. He seems to "tank up" on water today.

He is doing well this evening and I have tried to keep him awake for a bit longer so he will sleep better tonight.

We had a three hour nap together this afternoon. I loved it.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

If he's sleeping with you (or near you), take a zip-loc of kibble or other quick treats with you. If he wakes up, you can slip him a treat without waking up completely, then maybe you can both go back to sleep easily.

If he needs meds, maybe take the meds with you to bed.

I've got two dogs taking various meds on different schedules right now. I keep setting alarms on my cellphone. When it goes off, I look at my Google calendar to see who's supposed to get what. It's too complicated for me to have pills upstairs with me, though, so I actually have to get up. (Why do prednisone and tramadol have to look so much alike?) There have been times, though... I had dogs on thyroid pills and they were supposed to take the pills 4 to 6 hours before blood was drawn for lab work. I took pills to bed with me the night before they had 8am appointments.) (Right now, I'm struggling to stay up until 11:30 for tonight's pills.)

Glad he's doing better...

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sounds like you and Steak are doing well. I'm so glad to hear that. When my seizure boy, Vernon, came to me, he had been in 4 different homes, all foster with intent to adopt, and the group was ready to euthanize him. His seizure activity was out of control. I worked with my vet to add KBr, with a holistic vet who did acupuncture, and with an animal communicator. who told Vernon told Vernon that he was indeed loved (sounds kike you have that part covered.) We now average a group of 1 to 3 seizures less than once a month, with a bit of ataxia, but I have a happy, beloved dog. He has a heart of gold, and I wouldn't give him up for anything. I hope you and Steak can wind up with with the kind of seizure control that my Vernon has.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Are we officially at 48 hours? :hope:thumbs-up

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We are Jenn :)

Last night was a good night. Our ac went out upstairs so we dragged a mattress down to the office and slept in there. The dogs loved it! They were all around the mattress and Steak was in the middle. He slept all night (except one time he layed his head on Carmens legs and she snarked so she got muzzled). We ALL slept all night! I feel great this morning and Steak seemed more aware of himself too. Not perfect but more than he has been.

That update is wonderful. Well, except for the ac going out. Hope the meds keep things under control for a long time. Sounds like Steak is starting to get back to himself. That should continue to improve.

ETA: Guess the ac failure is a reminder that it could always be worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AFf0ysgNiM

Edited by kudzu

Beth, I am just seeing this, Glad to hear that Steak is doing better. Thinking of you both.

Amy & Maddie

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

:yay Hope things continue this way.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest bethac

(((Beth))) - thinking of you and praying that Steak continues to improve. I have no experience with seizures, but one thing is for sure - this is the right place to come for "real-world" experience, hope and support. :thumbs-up:grouphug

We are Jenn :)

Last night was a good night. Our ac went out upstairs so we dragged a mattress down to the office and slept in there. The dogs loved it! They were all around the mattress and Steak was in the middle. He slept all night (except one time he layed his head on Carmens legs and she snarked so she got muzzled). We ALL slept all night! I feel great this morning and Steak seemed more aware of himself too. Not perfect but more than he has been.

Awesome! It's amazing what a seizure free night and some sleep can do for you. Obviously the meds are working so far. Let's hope they continue to do so.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Just had to post this, Steaky wagged his tail at my husband. Bruce was talking to him and petting his head, Steak was falling backwards and Bruce caught him and told him it was ok, then Steak looked up, kissed him and wagged his tail :wub:

So this may sound ridiculous but I feel like he is bored. He is unsteady but if he walks in a straight line he does fine. Can I or should I take him for a walk? One part of me says just let him be but another says to get him out of the house for a bit and then he will be more settled. :dunno Is that a bad idea?

Guest jettcricket

Just had to post this, Steaky wagged his tail at my husband. Bruce was talking to him and petting his head, Steak was falling backwards and Bruce caught him and told him it was ok, then Steak looked up, kissed him and wagged his tail :wub:

Awww.....that brought a tear to my eye. Feel better soon handsome.