Jack - 8/12/04 - 6/12/10

mychip1

I am posting this today, as the surgery that resulted in his untimely death on June 12th was one year ago today....

I took him in for a routine corn and dental procedure. He woke up fine, they called me to go over - I waited about a half-hour to let him wake up a bit more. They said he was wide awake and "rooing" for me. When I got there, they told me he was still a bit groggy - and to come back two hours later. When I came back two hours later, his skin was beet red and he had bloody splotches underneath. He was only responsive through his eyes.....and could not move his body.

We spent the next 18 hours trying to save him. First at the vets and then with fluids at home - I wanted him where he was comfortable, and my vet did not feel that an e-vet could do more at that point. The next morning he appeared a bit brighter - but within hours started howling with pain....Within minutes his body went from cool to steaming hot - I took a quick temp and it was 108. DH and I got him into my truck and he convulsed and died in my arms.

The grief from his loss is beyond any I have ever felt - even when I lost my old partners in life - but they had all reached healthy old ages - or I had some warning. This was a situation that hit me between the eyes.

Perhaps even more difficult for me was the fact that Jack came to me insecure with some issues. We were working so hard to get him through his struggles and he was succeeding.

He was so bonded to me - and was extraordinarily protective - particularly for a grey. And, in turn, I was protective of him......but on that last morning - before surgery - when he looked scared to go off with the vet-tech, I pat him on the rump and told him that Mama wouldn't let anything happen to him.....those were my last words to him before his surgery. I can only hope that during those last 18 hours, he heard all the words of love as we tried to save him.

I felt like my heart was just ripped out of me that day......He had so much more life ahead of him...

DSCN0271.jpg

jackandturtle.jpg

Jack-July4-08.jpg

ezandjack.jpg

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug:brokenheart He knew, Robin........................he knew. :brokenheart:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

:grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Oh, Robin :cry1:weep:brokenheart:cry1:grouphugsadhugsmiley.gifsadhugsmiley.gif:brokenheart

I'm so, so sorry. Ever since you told me the story of how you lost your Jack I get tears in my eyes whenever I think about it, and about how much you must miss him, and how hard it must have been to lose him like that.

But one thing is certain - Jack knew the extent of your immense love for him. He knew that you were his mum, and that he was your Jack.

Thinking of you. :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Robin I'm so sorry about your little fella Jack. He knew how much you loved him, and he knew that when it was time.

To say I feel your pain is silly; my Brindle was taken from us quickly also three months ago. To this day we struggle

to wrap our minds around the grief and fail daily.

My Brin and Jack are 'chillin' large' in a nice cool stream at the bridge waiting on us.

Again I'm so sorry he was taken this way not fair. Hugs and lights from Boston

Guest dobiegrey

Oh my God, I am so very sorry, what a horrible thing to go through, was it just a reaction to the drugs? Did they ever figure out what went wrong?? That is so scary!!

I am crying with you, for you and for Jack, as your pain is clearly as fresh as if you had just lost him. It is so heartwrenchingly hard to lose them unexpectedly. I lost my Nick that way. I wasn't even with him when he died at the emergency vets, and I understand well those feelings that haunt you, especially the "what might have been." We know that some things are truly beyond our control, yet it doesn't really seem to ease the pain.

I pray that you can feel your angel Jack looking down on you, and watching over the Mom who he knew loved him very much.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Robin :grouphug Nothing I can say will take away the pain. But Jack knew how much you loved him. I'm so sorry.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine your shock and sorrow.

Rest well, sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh my God, I am so very sorry, what a horrible thing to go through, was it just a reaction to the drugs? Did they ever figure out what went wrong?? That is so scary!!

They never did know.....It was not typical malignant hypothermia as he did not have a temp when he first woke up. Some thought platelets, but the symptoms weren't typical. Another hound died the same week up in the Massachusetts area with almost identical symptoms. His Mom and I found each other here. Their explanations to her don't provide any more answers than I have.

Thanks to all for the support.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I can't begin to imagine how awful that must've been. My heart is breaking along with yours :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that all was. My heart goes out to you.

but I absolutely KNOW he knew you were there for him, with him.

sending TONS of hugs to you. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest dragontearz

Damn..I am so, so sorry for your loss..it had to be hard, and still is I am sure- he knew he was loved...I bet Guinness is romping with him as I type this.

Robin, Jack was such a beautiful boy and my hearts breaks for you as his passing was so tragic. He is up running with all those other pups that went before him and have since followed him. He will be waiting for you always.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.