Shelby Update

So it seems that Shelby's age has caught up to her. We took her in yesterday to check for possible LP and our vet does not believe it is. Instead he is thinking it may be tracheitis that if it is, is treatable with the meds he provided us. So all looked good and she had good alone time with her mommy and daddy yesterday and some Timbits for her troubles. Well today as DW came home and I was outside, something happened and DW waved me into the house urgently. She found Shelby sprawled almost 'spread eagled' on the floor and unable to get up. She had heard the GSOD as she was coming up the front walkway and when she tried to help her up, she screamed in more pain. When I came in, she was still down and when we tried to palpate her legs she let out another scream. So we called out vets right away and I picked her up and off we went. When the vet looked her over and we tried to make her walk she could not. Her rear left leg is barely able to hold her weight and when she tried to pee, she squatted and fell on her belly. When the vet tested curling her toes under she is able to put them back normal again but she will not allow much weight on the leg and when she walks, it is like she is drunk. Unfortunately 'our vet' was not in today and this one did not seem to help much. We have decided to take her off the meds prescribed yesterday, give her plenty of rest, walk her with a sling just to do her business and will look at our options. Hopefully it will heal however I have my doubts as I had noticed something about that leg over the past few days. You know when you know your pup and something is not right? Well that is my feeling about her and now even when making her dinner, she will not get up and she is a chow hound like her brother.

So we will see what the next couple days brings us. She is not in pain as she is on Gabapentin and Metacam and we will investigate acupuncture for her as well. I know I have read this can help an older pup but both DW and I know that when we got her last June her back legs were not strong so it's not a big surprise. We know we will do everything we can do for her however we also know we will not allow her to be in pain nor suffer a poor quality of life. She ever so loved running with her brother Charlie and chasing us in the backyard. We dearly hope she will recover as that was when her true spirit came out. If anyone has any other suggestions, we are more than open and will consider an x-ray with 'our vet' when he is back in Monday but we know it may not necessary show much. Then the option is a CT scan and/or MRI both of which cost a lot and she would not do well as she is very stressed at the vets. If you can send good thoughts for our senior girl, we would appreciate it as she is such a tough little nugget and deserves more quality life after what she has been through in her past life.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest KennelMom

It can take a while for a senior that's "splayed out" on a floor to recover. They get pretty sore :( Dont' give up on her...Give her some time to get better. The most important thing when a dog splays is to get them back up on all fours as quickly as possible (yep, they will scream loudly!) and support them in their walk/stance until they can lay down and get their wits about them. It's scary for a lot of them when that happens so they can be quite tentative or nervous for a few hours or even a couple days.

That is like what's been happening to Phene. He's fallen like that twice. The first time I had to help him out. He has improved, as I'm hoping Shelby will, also.

Shelby is in my thoughts and I hope whatever she has is easily diagnosed and managed/

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Do you think she threw a clot? If so low dose aspirin may help. I know you mentioned that she's already on a NSAID and usually they don't tell you to mix the two drugs but, Dr Couto had my girl on pred and aspirin together-- claims that the aspirin is such a low dose it's ok to use them together.

Sorry this happened--you have a lot on your plate. Hugs to Shelby.

Edited by tbhounds

Good thoughts for your sweet girl. Fuzzy slipped like that on the ice this winter and acupuncture helped him. Let's hope it is that simple.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

:grouphug for Shelby and her folks, hang in there you guys.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Lots of prayers for your sweet girl, and hugs for you and DW.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope Shelby improves enough to enjoy life for a while yet. :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Poor little mite. Sending good thoughts for Shelby and your family. :grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hope she recovers quickly and it's not serious.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest HHHounds

My sweet old Candyman(11) does this upon occsion. I got some more area rugs to provide more traction. He also coughs a lot - an Xray showed that his heart/veins etc are enlarging and pressing on his trachea making him cough. He is on 3 meds for his heart. We are trying to keep him as comfortable and happy as long as we can....

My sweet old Candyman(11) does this upon occsion. I got some more area rugs to provide more traction. He also coughs a lot - an Xray showed that his heart/veins etc are enlarging and pressing on his trachea making him cough. He is on 3 meds for his heart. We are trying to keep him as comfortable and happy as long as we can....

Kyle - I am sorry to read about Shelby's decline. Sorry, I don't recall how old she is?? My Holly, who turned 12 in March, has been struggling with back / hind-end woes for the past few years and suffered two "splaying" incidents since December.

The first occurred on the kitchen lino. All four legs started to slide out sideways, I heard her cry and, thankfully, was there and able to pull her up before she fell. Subsequently, like HHHounds, I purchased carpet runners (at Kohl's - they have a great selection) and covered the kitchen floor. Tile, hardwood floors, and lino are simply impossible for dogs with these issues to navigate.

fyi - a few years ago, I started Holly on chiropractic and acupuncture treatments. I alternate between the two - maybe every five weeks or so. I have also given the Chinese herb "Body Sore," and so was able to keep Holly off of serious meds. However, I think she's at the point where meds are necessary. I have Metacam and recently picked up Methocarbamol (Robaxin) for her. I will continue the acupuncture and chiropractic (the chiropractor comes to the house). Holly is not incontinent at this point.

Oh, when it's cold outside, I always make my hounds wear coats and and I cover them with blankies at night (they sleep in their own beds; no furniture privileges). I believe the coats and blankets help keep the old bones warm and reduce stiffness.

It's heartbreaking to watch these old hounds struggle. I took my first grey Indy to a neurologist and flipped for a very expensive MRI (revealed LS and slight disk protrusion). I suspect Holly probably has something similar as x-rays (to date) have all been negative. She also has coughing / hacking issues similar to Candyman so it may be time for another chest x-ray.

I do my best to keep Holly comfortable and as long as her quality of life is good - well, that's all I can hope for. I wouldn't subject her to any surgery at this point in her life.

I highly recommend acupuncture. Holly now seems to really enjoy the session (although it took her awhile to appreciate that being stuck like a pin cushion was a good thing!).

Good luck and hugs to your girl Shelby. :)

ETA: I reread your post. You may want to try a good chiropractor before spending the money on an MRI. When I took Indy to the neurologist all they could offer was surgery or meds. Subsequently, I went on a mission to find a chiropractor. If the spine or pelvis is out of alignment and pressing on a nerve - well, meds may help reduce inflammation but won't move the encroaching disk, etc. If you have sliver in your foot, all the meds in the world won't make the sliver go away - you need to remove the sliver!

My 12 yr old male hound collapsed in January after going out to potty. Came in and down he went. Could not get up. I called the chiropractor who came to the house that morning. My boy's pelvis and neck were out and she manipulated him while he was down. It was amazing. He eventually got up without any assistance and is doing just fine. He will be 12-1/2 next week. Without the adjustment, I would have had to euthanize him because he could not get up.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Thanks everyone. We are looking into acupuncture with a local vet who we have visited before for our Rat Terrier. He is unfortunately very in demand so getting an appointment is a month plus out usually. Shelby is eating fine but it's obvious that she is in some pain as she does not move much and no longer comes into the kitchen for food. We are taking it day by day and I will be home all week on vacation so between myself and DW, we'll take her out for potty and that's all. She is on an herbal remedy now that will hopefully help her. She let out one scream this morning while eating her breaky, she only moved a front leg and it seemed to hurt her. She has a strong spirit and we will do everything we can for her to make sure she is comfortable. Hopefully she can overcome this and heal so she can be back to her crazy self. She just turned 12 only just over a week ago and she was very lively so we'll cross our fingers.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I would also try a chiropractor.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

((((SHELBY)))

We have a wonderful chiro/accupuncture vet here in Kingston. She ia Nixon's vet and a personal friend.

Might be worth the drive?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg