Update On Twister

Twistmas had 3 weeks of the Wisconsin CHOP protocol which put the lymphoma in complete remission. Unfortunately the slightly high creatinine and BUN that we saw before starting chemo have increased further. She responds somewhat to IV fluids but not as much to sub-cutaneous fluids. She is refusing to eat most things.

According to my oncologist at OSU, the chemo she received is not difficult on the kidneys (this is different chemo than used for osteo). The kidney issues are likely coincidental to the lymphoma. I did an abdominal ultrasound just prior to chemo and it showed kidney changes consistent with "old age" chronic kidney disease but did not show any kidney stones, pancreas issues, or masses (aside from enlarged lymph nodes). Therefore, it is unlikely that the cause of her inappetance and blood work values is anything but kidney failure. It is the opinion of the vets at OSU that we should keep her on subcutaneous fluids and feed her whatever she will eat; offering her low protein items first but giving her higher protein food if that is all she will eat. We will not be taking any extraordinary measures--no more chemo, no feeding tubes, etc.

So it looks like my Twistie is heading for complete kidney failure. Her time is likely measured in weeks, not months. I am going to spend this time doing anything she wants and concentrating on her. So I won't be a regular on Greytalk for a while. Thank you to everyone for your support. I so appreciate having this forum.

Jane

Guest juliagulia630

Jane, I am so sorry to read this. Your dogs are lucky to have you. You did all you can. Give Twister and Joejoe hugs from us! Drop us an update when you can.

I'm sorry she isn't better. Sending hugs for yourself and scritchies for your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sad and sorry to read this. I wish you and your girl all the best for quality time.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Jane, I am so sorry to hear this. I know how much you love your girl. I also know that you'll do everything you can to make sure what time she has left is the best you can make it. If there's anything at all I can do for you or Twister, please let me know. I'll never forget the angel you were when I was going through my Princess' illness.

Jane, I am sorry. You are battling too much with your pups to have to go through this. Please give Twister a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:grouphug

When Scout was in end-stage kidney failure, we gave him Azodyl, a probiotic that helps filter out uremic toxins from the bloodstream. It lowered his creatinine significantly for a few months, and I hope made him feel better. Ideally, we would have given it earlier in his disease process, but I think it helped his quality of life for the time he had.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so sorry. You are right to want to concentrate on making this time together as meaningful as possible. Twister couldn't have a better, more loving Mom.

You will both be in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Lillysmom

Oh Jane, I'm sorry. I love both of you so very much. Please know that I'm here if you need anything. Sending hugs and prayers to you and your wonderful baby girl.

This is so sad. I'm very sorry for your girl. I've had two pets with renal failure. For my dog I found it it's splitting up the sub-q fluids into morning and evening sessions seem to be more effective than just one daily session. Though of course if the dog finds this procedure quite stressful then quality-of-life may win out over what is most effective. High omega 3 fish oil, CoQ10 and injectable fortified B- complex, which is very high in vitamin B12, were things that helped my dog tremendously. I used very small gauge needle for the vitamin injections and he did not even seem to feel it. 

Whatever you choose to do or not to do it sounds like you're taking the correct approach. May her remaining days he as many and as good as possible.

I'm so sorry, Jane! :( :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh Jane I'm sorry. Did they suggest you can try the pred route?

She has been getting prednisone for the last month. OSU now recommends doing a tapering course of prednisone for the first month along with the Wisconsin CHOP protocol. She got her last pred last month. I would guess that they wouldn't want to continue it until and if her immune system is back to normal after the chemo.

:grouphug

When Scout was in end-stage kidney failure, we gave him Azodyl, a probiotic that helps filter out uremic toxins from the bloodstream. It lowered his creatinine significantly for a few months, and I hope made him feel better. Ideally, we would have given it earlier in his disease process, but I think it helped his quality of life for the time he had.

I will mention this to my doctor at OSU. She is an oncologist but I know she checked with the internal medicine department about what else to do. But it can't hurt asking about it.. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jane

This is so sad. I'm very sorry for your girl. I've had two pets with renal failure. For my dog I found it it's splitting up the sub-q fluids into morning and evening sessions seem to be more effective than just one daily session. Though of course if the dog finds this procedure quite stressful then quality-of-life may win out over what is most effective. High omega 3 fish oil, CoQ10 and injectable fortified B- complex, which is very high in vitamin B12, were things that helped my dog tremendously. I used very small gauge needle for the vitamin injections and he did not even seem to feel it.

Whatever you choose to do or not to do it sounds like you're taking the correct approach. May her remaining days he as many and as good as possible.

She is now getting 500 ml in the morning and 500 ml in the evening. She ate well this weekend but didn't want to eat this morning. I am going to call her doctor about upping it to 500 ml three times a day. She tolerates it very well. The only thing that bothers her at all is the initial needle stick. Otherwise she gets petted, hand fed treats and has time with me all alone. I will also ask my vet about the supplements you mentioned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am feeling guilty about something I am doing to help an acquaintance out. This person is actually a friend of a very good friend whom I have met a half dozen times or so. She and her family were suddenly evicted from a house they were renting. Long story but simplified version is they were renting from someone who didn't pay the mortguage and lost the house. They came home one day and the locks were changed and their dogs were taken to the pound. They were able to find a month to month apartment on short notice that would allow 3 of the six dogs. She called my friend in tears yesterday while we were out together saying that the remaining 3 dogs were going to be euthanized if she didn't pick them up by 5:30 yesterday. Well, I couldn't have that. My friend also lives in an apartment and can't have any more dogs so I have taken in the 3 labradors until their owner can find a house to rent. This isn't what I wanted for Twister's last weeks with me but I know I wouldn't be able to live with myself if these dogs were killed and I could have done something. At least they are older (7 1/2, 10 and 12) so they don't have that much energy.

So now I am feeling guilty about my Twistie. She deserves her last weeks to be calm with me doting on her. I know these dogs will settle in (it has been less than 24 hours after all) but I still feel like maybe I did the wrong thing. But if I didn't, these dogs would be dead.

I so wish life was easier and it was crystal clear what I should do.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

My friend's old girl has had really great results with the Azodyl :nod She was having a really tough time and they decided to try it...she's like a completely different dog now. She is active and has a great appetite.

Hugs to you and Twister :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--