Merlin Has Bloody Diarrhea

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:yay :yay :yay :yay :yay

Yeah Merlin!!!!! Good thoughts for continued improvement!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Stripeyfan

So glad to read a good update! And yeah, investigate for hooks - we think these (along with roundworm) are what caused Kelly's IBD. He was never found to have them, only the rounds, but the problems he has are pretty consistent with hookworm damage.

Edited by Stripeyfan

Continued prayers for Merlin and you Kerry, hope he continues to improve, what a huge scare for you all!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Well, my vet thinks I should start to phase out the I/D tomorrow night (already? :huh) and mix in some of his old kibble, but I"m concerned about that. Amber's Soul was on it for two whole weeks the first time he had an episode. I was only given 4 cans so I will run out by Sunday night. I spoke with my vet today (she called me for an update, she's awesome that way) and I asked her if it would be okay to put him on a bland diet when I run out of the i/d, instead of his regular kibble. She said yes. But I think I'm going to just add some rice to the wet I/D so that it will last until Monday morning, then I'll drive to the vet's on Monday and pick some more up. I need more time on the I/D because I need to switch him to a different kibble - for some time now he's been going off the Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and gotten awfully picky with his meals, so I think I need to switch him to something else. He has such a sensitive stomach, I was really hoping that he would stay on the Pro Plan for longer, as his poos have been great on that food (unlike other foods he was on before).

Sigh. He just pooped and it was nasty dark diarrhea, very little of it, but no fresh blood at least, so I'm relieved.

I did bring the hookworm issue up with the vet and she said that yes, if things don't improve we will put him on a round of Panacur.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

What a roller coaster! I am glad to hear he seems to be doing better. I have come to believe (not a vet, nor do I play one on TV :) ) that many of these digestive episodes (HGE, IBD) we see apparently out of the blue are related to nasty little worms that don't show up in a fecal :angry:

:bighug

Just catching up on our reading...

Glad to hear that Merlin has been able to stay at home and has his appetite back.

:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest SoulsMom

I disagree about the worms. Sure a round or two of Panacur couldn't hurt, but in a multi-dog household it's most likely that both pups would be showing symptoms (esp if it's hooks) And with Soul he had a few treatments for worms and still kept bleeding internally anytime he went off the I/D. I'm not saying it's not possible, and a round of treatment couldn't hurt, but don't want to just write it up to that and think it will go away for good . . . I learned the hard way to be EXTRA vigilant with HGE.

Kerry, dark is good as long as it's not like coffee grounds. That means he's no longer actively bleeding and that is old, digested blood. You should see less and less of it over the next few days if the treatment is working. I'm not saying it will go away over night, but decrease gradually and should be gone by Monday or Tuesday. It's also good to keep him on the mellow diet for a bit to let his tummy settle before trying to phase in a new kibble (again, I learned the hard way :rolleyes: )

Edited by SoulsMom

I must have missed this---just read all 6 pages. What a scary roller coaster it's been. Hoping Merlin keeps getting better and better, and sending lots of good thoughts out for more positive updates.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Both you and Merlin are in my thoughts. Hoping for continued improvement :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Thanks, I'll consider it for sure, I'm new to I/D so I'll consult my vet before I do anything. I am planning to pick up some more I/D tomorrow, and I will keep feeding that for a bit (probably at least a week) and after that, I'll put him on a bland diet until I've decided (with my vet) what new kibble to try.

He did some sun-bathing today :wub: (his favorite thing in the world) and seems to be in good spirits again (also very cuddly with me :wub:) so fingers crossed that he continues to improve. :goodluck

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sounds like a good plan, Kerry. The I/D has extra vitamins and potassium to help replenish nutrients a dog loses through D or vomiting, and of course it's complete and balanced, so I do think it has advantages over homemade bland food. I would not rush back into kibble either so rapidly after such a severe episode.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Robin, what does your vet do when this happens? Flagyl fixes Soul right up, but we haven't had this happen since I relented and started keeping him on the all I/D diet. Before, everytime I tried to put him back on 'regular' food he would start bleeding internally again and have to go back on the Flagyl. His first sign of relapse was always gurgly tummy as well. We gave up on stool samples since they never showed anything.

Out of curiosity, do you feed a mix of dry and canned or just canned?

Sounds like a good plan, Kerry. The I/D has extra vitamins and potassium to help replenish nutrients a dog loses through D or vomiting, and of course it's complete and balanced, so I do think it has advantages over homemade bland food. I would not rush back into kibble either so rapidly after such a severe episode.

So why not just add a multivitamin to the homecooked, afterall that is what dog food manufacturers do. I mean how balanced is corn, rice, egg product, chicken by-products and powdered cellulose until they add the vitamins and minerals. The manufacturers of Benefull which most will agree is the worst dogfood on the market can say it is a complete and balanced food. Does that make it good, I think not.

Of all of the Hills products I/D actually isn't that bad. No way can you compare it to Beneful which I agree is crap in a pretty bag. The key thing here is that Merlin needs a low fat, easy to digest food that is complete and balanced and something we know he can tolerate. Personally, I would not rock the boat by introducing a different food-- just might land him back in the hospital.

Of all of the Hills products I/D actually isn't that bad. No way can you compare it to Beneful which I agree is crap in a pretty bag. The key thing here is that Merlin needs a low fat, easy to digest food that is complete and balanced and something we know he can tolerate. Personally, I would not rock the boat by introducing a different food-- just might land him back in the hospital.

Maybe not the canned I/D, but the ingredients I listed in that order are what the dry I/D is made up of. Honestly you could feed Ol' Roy and be feeding basically the same thing. Mind you I am talking about the dry and not canned version of I/D when making these comparisons.

Haven't fed the dry I/D in years. Have fed the canned. I frequently cook for my dogs -- some have been on homeprepped diets for years -- but when there is A Serious Digestive Issue and no contraindicating allergies, I use canned I/D.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've been out of town and just now seeing this. Our Emmy had a horrible bout of HGE years ago and spent 3 days at the vets on IV fluids and antibiotics along with drugs to coat her stomach. It can be scary for sure.

Hope Merlin starts to feel better soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Was out of town, too, and just read about poor Merlin. We had a round of HGE last year and it was so scary - bad diarrhea is one thing but seeing my poor boy pooping blood over and over nearly stopped my heart! He did a night at the e-vet, got fluids, Flagyl, and all that stuff and he recovered really quickly. It was amazing - we were so relieved.

We've always had trouble finding a food for Milo and so we cook for him now and add a prepared vitamin supplement to his food. It's a lot of work and kind of time consuming but it's been keeping us out of the vet office which is so great.

Best wishes to Merlin and family - hope you all get some good rest.

Patti & Milo G. Hound.

Guest SoulsMom

Robin, what does your vet do when this happens? Flagyl fixes Soul right up, but we haven't had this happen since I relented and started keeping him on the all I/D diet. Before, everytime I tried to put him back on 'regular' food he would start bleeding internally again and have to go back on the Flagyl. His first sign of relapse was always gurgly tummy as well. We gave up on stool samples since they never showed anything.

Out of curiosity, do you feed a mix of dry and canned or just canned?

A mix, mostly only because that's what Soul likes

Guest OurLacyandJax

About 3 years ago, Jax had the worst case of diarrhea as well - one accident after another, and it broke my heart to see his distressed face after each. He was on Pro Plan Select at the time, and his stools had become progressively worse over a period of couple months. And looked like he was losing weight, and we were newbies in ownership. Didn't have the quick reaction time I have now, compared to then, when it came to our dogs.

Our vet finally put him on I/D after the third bad diarrhea incident (no blood anytime), and it cleared up real soon. He still gets these bouts every now and then - although in far milder forms. Poor boy.

Go Merlin - get better!!