Merlin Has Bloody Diarrhea

Merlin had a couple of good poops today, and then two really nasty ones -(pudding poo). At dinner time, he refused his food. An hour later, I gave him a very small amount of rice. He only ate some of it. Another hour later, he asks to go out and has horrible diarrhea. 30 minutes later he wants to go out again ans he has more diarrhea with bright red blood in it. He has a really loud gurgly tummy. I am not sure if the blood is just from straining or whether there is something else going on. He had a similar issue about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm wondering if he has worms or something.

I didn't give him a Pepcid as the problem is clearly further down in his system.

I am planning to call the vet first thing tomorrow morning, but is there anything I can give him tonight to make him more comfortable?

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Wizard. There has been discussion here recently about the benefits of Manuka honey, some folks use it for a gurgly tummy. 1/2 to one tsp. Good luck, Kerry, and please let us know how Merlin is :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We usually give Rocket some bread, usually white bread of some type or a roll when he gets the gurgles in the middle of the night. It will usually settle out after he eats it.

Rocket had stomach issues for about a month in Feb/March, and there was some red blood that was from straining. There was also a gelatin-like substance that looked bloody, which our vet advised was the inflamed stomach lining. Apparently that's how they get rid of the inflammation. The poop bags actually had a lot of blood and water in them when he passed the stomach lining.

We had to do 2 rounds of Flagyl at a high dose to get him straightened out, and ended up changing food to a limited ingredient food. The "good stuff" was just too rich for his stomach to tolerate. We also fed scrambled eggs and very sticky rice for about 2 weeks until he could tolerate kibble again. It worked better than Ground Beef and Rice which we also tried.

Hope Merlin feels better and it's nothing serious.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I personally wouldn't give him anything food-like. He stomach needs to calm down. Make sure he continues drinking so he doesn't get dehydrated, but fast him until you see the vet. Once there's nothing left in his system the diarhhea should end.

Poor Wizard! Hope he feels better soon!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We're outside and he doesn't want to go back in. He's walking very stiffly and lip-licking. No more diarrhea bit a lot of stretching and he's archig his back. He just retched bile twice.

:( Gosh - not sure If this is getting to be an emergency or not :(((

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest greytkidsmom

Poor baby. It sounds like he is really uncomfortable. Hugs to you both.

The only advice I have is to trust your gut - if you think he needs evet, go.

If it's still coming out or up that means there's probably not a blockage, and it's probably not bloat. He's probably nauseous (lip licking) and feels like he might have to poop again even if there's nothing left to poop. He might have gas too.

Your call about the vet. Only you know your comfort level. Hugs for you and Merlin.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you for your comments. He just had a drink of water and has curled up on the couch with a blankie. I'll stay here with him through the night and my clothes pile is ready in case I need to make a swift rush to the e-vet. My gut tells me he won't stay settled for long :(

I just hope he can hold on until we can get to our regular vet, I trust her and she's grey-savvy. Don't much like he emergency vets around here at all.

Amber, thank you for the update. :candle:hope for Merlin and Kerry.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest mirthlesstroll

Sounds like he has Hemorragic (sp?) Gastroenteritis :( We've been through it a few times here. An IV and some Flagyl has sorted it every time for us, I hope the same for Merlin!!

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

Just seeing this now. I would fast him for at least 12 hours to give his system time to settle. Then maybe some Manuka honey and/or slippery elm to make him more comfortable and go from there.

Update us when you can.

:grouphug for you and MErlin