The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

Avoid the hotels in Canada we stayed at like the plague!

First night, Williams Lake, BC (Frasier Inn) - hotel under construction - you got high just walking in the place

Second night, Smithers, BC (Hudson Bay Lodge) - designated pet room - no AC - stunk, beds harder than concrete - and they charged an arm and a leg - oh yeah, mosquitoes were crazy

Third night, Middle of Nowhere, BC (Bell II Lodge) - nice cabin, in the middle of nowhere (really, the town had no name, it wasn't a town, it was just the lodge for heloskiing in winter) - more mosquitoes there than the entire population of the world and then some, you would be carried by them to the hot tub - but the room was nice

Fourth night, Teslin, YT (Yukon Motel) - it was an overpriced hotel room with 2 beds. They charged us $30 for the dogs. I told the dogs they could make a mess and I wouldn't care :lol

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I bet it's nice not having to worry about driving in the dark, considering how desolate it is. You must be getting like 20 hours of daylight or something like that by now.

Yep... Tok where we are tonight:

Sunrise: 3:19 AM

Sunset: 11:50 PM

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Guest IrskasMom

Omg ..... beautiful Pictures . The Cabin looks nice and clean and comfy. I am enjoying your Trip. :):):):):)

Guest embarkguru

That cabin looks awesome! But the bears.....we were stationed at Camp Pendleton for a very long time. I worked at one of the exchanges in one of the remote camps. One morning going to work, out of the fog...poof! Buffalo! Just standing in the middle of the road, doing whatever buffalo do. Giving my car the stink eye for being on their 'path'. Its something that is bigger than your car, just scared me. Great pictures of the bears. I'm glad that they were far enough from you guys.

Great Pictures!!!! :colgate Wow Gas prices in Canada, I don't think I will be going there anytime soon, I thought Georgia was bad but that has them beat by a long shot. :eek:eek:eek

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Why are glaciers blue?

According to the USGS:

Because the red (long wavelengths) part of white light is absorbed by ice and the blue (short wavelengths) light is transmitted and scattered. The longer the path light travels in ice, the more blue it appears

The purity and age of the ice also play an important factor in the color of ice in glaciers. As the ice ages it is compressed, melted and frozen again eliminating air bubbles that scatter the light rays and bounce them back out in the same color they came in (white). Once the ice becomes pure the light waves are much more likely to be absorbed promoting the deep blue color.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Still enjoying all of the beautiful pictures, although not so much the implication that my dogs are undisciplined because I don't think they should have to tolerate being stepped on by each other. :unsure

In any event, sounds like you guys are enjoying yourselves. Thanks for all of the photos! What type of lens do you have (trying to figure out how far you really were from those bears...)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wow, you guys are having an AWESOME trip! I know you must be getting quite weary by now, but this has got to be the trip of a lifetime! I would LOVE to do something like that.

Love the pictures, especially the ones of the pups.....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest IrskasMom

I would love to make a Trip like that ( maybe while I was a little Younger ) . The Trip of a Lifetime. Hope you have already

a House / Quarters where you can crash and have all your Belongings. Your Summercloth you dont have to unpack or

does it have real steamy Summerweather like in New York ? We ( inquiering Minds ) want to know ????

Wonderful pictures and posts. Thanks for sharing your adventure! I have black bears that visit my yard regularly - the bear pictures you posted make mine look like pups! Nice definition of the 'blue' glaciers. When I visited Colorado the top peaks of the mountains had 'pink' snow. I was told it was some type of ice/fungus. Maybe it was just girl mountains and boy glaciers. :lol Really nice looking cabin in your last picture -- imagine what it looks like in February! Have fun and best of luck!

There are no "offical" fenced dog parks but we have a few spots that we've taken Jack to run that are fenced and safe.

Store is at Old Seward Hwy and Tudor Rd.

Fenced and safe area to let them stretch their legs sounds good. There is a park a couple blocks from our hotel that will work for potty trips, but it would be nice to let them get some off lead exercise after 2 weeks in the car if we can.

We'll probably pop into the store tomorrow or Wednesday - what are the hours.

I loved the border picture :lol And the bear pics and the glaciers and your cabin. Etc. Actually, I've enjoyed the whole trip and it's been really great because I've not felt car sick even once :D

(Muzzles shmuzzles).

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest simile
There are no "offical" fenced dog parks but we have a few spots that we've taken Jack to run that are fenced and safe.

Store is at Old Seward Hwy and Tudor Rd.

Fenced and safe area to let them stretch their legs sounds good. There is a park a couple blocks from our hotel that will work for potty trips, but it would be nice to let them get some off lead exercise after 2 weeks in the car if we can.

We'll probably pop into the store tomorrow or Wednesday - what are the hours.

Just to let you know, the store is GREAT! 12 paws up from Chloe, Tip and Diego. We got the chance to check it out last Thursday while we were down for some lure coursing fun.

Re: The daylight.

How are you both sleeping? Is all the day light affecting your ability to sleep? Did you ever see the movie with Al Pacino and Robin Williams, Insommia?

Hope you are adjusting OK.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Great Pictures!!!! :colgate Wow Gas prices in Canada, I don't think I will be going there anytime soon, I thought Georgia was bad but that has them beat by a long shot. :eek:eek:eek

Depends on where you go. Ours was $4.89 the other day, up to $4.99 today.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Ok, I admit I've been endlessly fascinated with the logistics of your trip. I think I enjoy planning trips more than I do actually going on them. :lol Anyway, from what I could tell it looks like you're catching a ferry to Kodiak on Thursday that takes around 22 hours; is that right? If so, what do they have you do with the pups so that they can, umm, "go" while they're at sea? And what do you do about the things you need but can't buy on the island - just shop like there's no tomorrow while you're in Anchorage and stuff the Volvo to capacity, or what? Is there another way off (besides by air) if you don't want to wait a month for the next ferry?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.