The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

Guest CampWhippet
Why are fresh cherries pitted, but whole maraschino cherries are not?

Not sure. But the maraschino we know is not what it used to be.

"Today maraschino cherries are cooked in syrup and artificially flavored and colored with a red dye. However, they were originally derived from the marasca, a small, black, bitter wild cherry that grew in Dalmatia, the capital of Croatia. They were used in preparing maraschino, a sweet liqueur or cordial made from fermented marasca juice and cherry stones that are crushed to extract their almond flavor. The mixture is fermented first, then distilled. This delicacy was imported into the United States during the 1890's and earned its elite reputation at the finest hotels and restaurants.

With their ultimate creativity, U.S. cherry processors discovered they could produce their own, less expensive version of maraschino cherries. In 1896 they substituted Royal Ann cherries for the marasca, and almond oil for the cherry stones. Creating this new version of maraschino cherry, they entered the market earning sales that surpassed the original European version. "

And what's funnier, Royal Anne cherries came about this way:

These were always called Napoleon Cherries, until a bit of confusion happened to a man named Henderson Lewelling.

Henderson Lewelling was a Quaker who was born in North Carolina in 1809. At the age of 11, he moved to Indiana with his parents. In 1837, he moved further west to Salem, Iowa, with his wife and his brother Seth, where they ran a general store and a small nursery. By 1840, Henderson had enough money to build a house which still stands, called the "Lewelling House - Quaker Museum". ............ he, his wife and his 8 children made it to what would become Milwaukie, Oregon. During the long journey, some of the labels on the trees got lost or mixed up (or knocked off by arrows: anything's possible, given the range of stories.) He couldn't quite remember all the names, but remembered that many of them had to do with royalty. So, not remembering that the Napoleon cherry was actually called Napoleon, he named it the Royal Ann.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CampWhippet
difference between a rock and a boulder

A rock is mass of hard consolidated mineral matter of any size. A boulder is a rock, just like a pebble is a rock too. Size of the rock determines which word you use to describe it.

A rock becomes a stone when you put it to use. ie. Cornerstone.

lake vs pond

As defined by The Newhampshire Dept of of Environmental Services

"The term "lake" or "pond" as part of a waterbody name is arbitrary and not based on any specific naming convention. In general, lakes tend to be larger and/or deeper than ponds, but numerous examples exist of "ponds" that are larger and deeper than "lakes." For example, Echo "Lake" in Conway is 14 acres in surface area with a maximum depth of 11 feet, while Island "Pond" in Derry is nearly 500 acres and 80 feet deep. Names for lakes and ponds generally originated from the early settlers living near them, and the use of the terms "lake" and "pond" was completely arbitrary. Many have changed names through the years, often changing from a pond to a lake with no change in size or depth. Often these changes in name were to make the area sound more attractive to perspective home buyers. Examples of ponds that are now called lakes include Mud Pond to Mirror Lake in Canaan, Mosquito Pond to Crystal Lake in Manchester and Dishwater Pond to Mirror Lake in Tuftonboro. "

brook vs stream vs creek

From Wikipedia:

"A stream is a body of water with a current, confined within a bed and stream-banks. Depending on its locale or certain characteristics, a stream may be referred to as brook, beck, burn, creek, crick, kill, lick, rill,river syke, bayou, rivulet, or run. Streams are important as conduits in the water cycle, instruments in groundwater recharge, and they serve as corridors for fish and wildlife migration. The biological habitat in the immediate vicinity of a stream is called a riparian zone. Given the status of the ongoing Holocene extinction event, streams play an important corridor role in connecting fragmented habitats and thus in conserving biodiversity. Stream is an umbrella term used in the scientific community for all flowing natural waters, regardless of size. The study of streams and waterways in general is known as surface hydrology and is a core element of environmental geography."

Edited by CampWhippet

Guest luckydog
what is the actual definition of a 'gonad' link

When I was in college there was an intramural team named the Nads...so their fans could chant "Go Nads!!!!" I'm sure they weren't the only ones in the world.

I love the chant for Austin Peay (pronounced pee) --"Let's Go Peay!"

Guest FrostyBottoms

I am amazed that Jet & Ryan can travel for that long without muzzles on. What good hounds you have!

why would a dog need a muzzle to ride in a car, or anything else for that matter? That would mean there are training/discipline issues.

Some dogs don't handle being that close together well.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest FrostyBottoms
why would a dog need a muzzle to ride in a car, or anything else for that matter? That would mean there are training/discipline issues.

Well, Vinny has a metal plate with 12 screws in his leg (compound fracture from his last race) and if Frosty steps on him he screams and puts his mouth on her....Frosty doesn't have an injury like that, but if he steps on her she'll give him the business too. There has never been a dogfight in the car but if I am driving and they start that, it's a little unnerving, I also have 2 kids in the back with them and don't want anyone to get hurt accidentally. There are no training/discipline issues...it's just reflex.

Welcome to Canada!

Where you pay for things that were exported to the US and then re-imported at a marked up price (ie: gas). :D

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Hey, something just occurred to me. And please use small words because I'm not real tech-savvy. But didn't you buy a dedicated server for GT a couple of years ago? How is the board staying up while you're moving? Did you migrate the site temporarily to another off site server, and once you get set up in Kodiak you'll move it back to your server, or what? All of a sudden I just wondered how the board was staying up while you guys were on the move. You must go through a lot of steps behind the scenes that we never hear about just to keep us nuts happy. :lol

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

It's at a server farm.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

It's at a server farm.

That isn't like what happens when your parents send your old dog to "go live at a farm", is it? :lol

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

servants at the server farm

farm_work.jpg

Kodiak Server Farm

223%20S%20MuskOxFarm%202.jpg

your guide: Sally Sysop, owner, operator, sysadmin....

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest 20PawsinAlaska

We saw 6 walmart trailers today

Ms. Trudy,

It's Melissa here. I wanted to send you a personal message but forum says I'm not allowed. Anyway--I'm in Anchorage. Sounds like you will be here soon. Please feel free to call, email or stop by the store if I can help with any local info. There are no "offical" fenced dog parks but we have a few spots that we've taken Jack to run that are fenced and safe.

Local phone 333-PAWS

email: pawprince@gci.net

Store is at Old Seward Hwy and Tudor Rd.

You are going to love Kodiak. It's Alaska's 'Hawaii'.

Guest wmlcml6

I just read the whole topic from start to finish so am all caught up on your adventures. Very neat that you are sharing it with everyone. My favorite picture is Mt. Rushmore at night. Nice! Well, I liked all the pics of the dogs, too.

Glad your trip has been a safe one. Good luck with the rest of it!

The middle of nowhere has been officially found. It is in northern BC. It has no town name. It's where we stayed yesterday - with no phones, no net, no tv. No, we didn't kill each other :lol

And Mystella... there isn't a Tim Horton's around for many many miles. In fact, we've not seen one since we left Smithers yesterday morning :lol

We are now in Teslin, YT.

Saw another bear today having some lunch beside the road. Haven't looked at the pics, but best case, Jeff got a pic of the bears butt while he was running back into the woods :lol

Didn't get a pic of the one we saw walking along side the road yesterday either.

Thoughts for today from the back seat passengers...

IMG_5074.jpg

why did the chicken cross the road?

IMG_3253.jpg

The Alaska Highway (getting closer!!)

IMG_5078.jpg

more of the same nothingness, pretty, but really, in 444 miles today, we didn't see any more than 10 "houses"

IMG_3258.jpg

some smaller glacier action - GNP has nothing on this stretch of road!

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

My car needs a bath after today's trip

IMG_3274.jpg