The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

If so, what do they have you do with the pups so that they can, umm, "go" while they're at sea? And what do you do about the things you need but can't buy on the island - just shop like there's no tomorrow while you're in Anchorage and stuff the Volvo to capacity, or what? Is there another way off (besides by air) if you don't want to wait a month for the next ferry?

Jet will pee at will anywhere, so she will be fine. Ryan will hold it as long as possible until maybe he decides it is ok to pee on the deck with all the other dogs.

If not, it is 22 hours... he's gone that long before without going.

As long as the weather is decent, they should have pet calls every 4-6 hours or so - otherwise they stay in the vehicles.

Stuff... Volvo is pretty much already packed to capacity - we picked up some filters for Jeff's bike today and I bought a couple of books at Barnes and Noble tonight, but other than that... the truck is already pretty much stuffed with what we brought with us (dog stuff, our stuff and some stuff that the movers wouldn't take).

I have friends that offered to send care packages of things we can't get up there if needed. But we can find most stuff online... shipping will be the only issue... even places that ship anywhere in the US seem to forget that AK is a part of the US :lol

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jet will pee at will anywhere

I thought you'd said JEFF will pee at will anywhere :blink::lol

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Jet will pee at will anywhere

I thought you'd said JEFF will pee at will anywhere :blink::lol

That too probably!!! :lol

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest ProudGreyMom

We need the picture of the bear's butt!!!! Gotta give us something :)

Glad you haven't killed each other yet. I know if DH and I were on the road for that many days, he would have to tow me in the car behind him, or we would kill each other!

Guest simile
even places that ship anywhere in the US seem to forget that AK is a part of the US :lol

Oh yeah, you'll get a lot of that, though it's not as bad as it used to be. Usually shipping charges end up being more than the item you're buying, unless you're buying a bunch of stuff, or can get the merchant to ship USPS.

Kind of a funny story: A friend's mom was in Phoenix (lives there part time) and wanted Nordstrom to ship her furs that she had Nordstrom storing for her back to Fairbanks. The Norstrom Customer Service told her they weren't allowed to ship furs to foreign countries...

Guest FrostyBottoms
even places that ship anywhere in the US seem to forget that AK is a part of the US :lol

Oh yeah, you'll get a lot of that, though it's not as bad as it used to be. Usually shipping charges end up being more than the item you're buying, unless you're buying a bunch of stuff, or can get the merchant to ship USPS.

Kind of a funny story: A friend's mom was in Phoenix (lives there part time) and wanted Nordstrom to ship her furs that she had Nordstrom storing for her back to Fairbanks. The Norstrom Customer Service told her they weren't allowed to ship furs to foreign countries...

:lol

That's happened to my friend in New Mexico more times than she can count.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I dont think the ferry trip is 22 hours. You might want to check that again.

Ain't my trip :lol but here's where I got that number from: Whittier to Kodiak ferry

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Jennifer4719
Re: The daylight.

How are you both sleeping? Is all the day light affecting your ability to sleep? Did you ever see the movie with Al Pacino and Robin Williams, Insommia?

Hope you are adjusting OK.

My stepmother used to live in Alaska and she kept her bedroom windows lined with heavy duty aluminum foil. She said it was the only thing that worked to keep the light out.

Before gas got so expensive, it used to be much quicker. Now they have to tie ropes from the ship to 347 penguins and toss herring into the water ahead of them all the way to Kodiak. Effective, but takes a whole lot longer.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Before gas got so expensive, it used to be much quicker. Now they have to tie ropes from the ship to 347 penguins and toss herring into the water ahead of them all the way to Kodiak. Effective, but takes a whole lot longer.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest FrostyBottoms

:rofl :rofl :rofl

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

ah, but penguins aren't in the north, so that would be a problem :lol

Minor technicality. :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I knew they weren't native, but times are tough all over. These are migrant penguins who snuck up from the south looking for work. They're not proud; they'll take the jobs that the Alaskan Puffins won't do.

I knew they weren't native, but times are tough all over. These are migrant penguins who snuck up from the south looking for work. They're not proud; they'll take the jobs that the Alaskan Puffins won't do.

Exactly. And that is why it takes so long. They'd rather go south.

I'm pretty sure you've underestimated the numbers, though? Shouldn't there be (number of walmart trailers spotted enroute)3 pulling the ferry?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Exactly. And that is why it takes so long. They'd rather go south.

I'm pretty sure you've underestimated the numbers, though? Shouldn't there be (number of walmart trailers spotted enroute)3 pulling the ferry?

Nah, I already lost. What do I care from Walmart trailers? :lol:lol:lol

Guest IrskasMom

This whole Trip is very Interesting ..... but to boot its very Hilarious :rofl :rofl :rofl

BTW .... I dislike Wal Mart so I didn't participate on guessing :bow

Edited by IrskasMom

best to use actual ferry schedules, not mapquest ;)

mapquest has you DRIVE to Seward and board a non-existent ferry there.

the actual ferry schedules show 9 hours from Homer (replacement for Seward) to Kodiak. Can you not drive to Homer and skip 13 on board hours?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Is there a new road from Anchorage to Whittier? Mapquest and Yahoo both think it takes 14-15 hours to get there. Don't you love this? It's like having a whole forum full of really bad travel agents at your disposal. :lol:lol:lol:lol