The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

Guest VanillaBean
OMG! now our collective minds are racing. Outhouses? No running water? No fast food? Quonset huts?

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Glad you arrived safely!

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 20PawsinAlaska
So not impressed! Can't believe people live like this.

More later when we get a chance to see a bit more, and let it sink in a little.

So, what do you mean by that Jeff??? :angryfire

Guest IrskasMom

I am soooo glad you made it safe . Let it all come together and maybe then it is not such a blow . Rest up from all that

driving and everyday in another Bed .Was there a Welcoming Commity ?????

Uh Oh, sounds like the illusion is shattered. Can't wait for more details and oh, Welcome Home!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Could be they haven't heard of pizza there? Or, worse yet, they make it with bisquick, campbell's tomato soup, and velveeta??

Glad you arrived safely.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Could be they haven't heard of pizza there? Or, worse yet, they make it with bisquick, campbell's tomato soup, and velveeta??

Glad you arrived safely.

:angry: That was a secret family recipe!! Who let that out????

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Glad you arrived safely.

Are you trying to make us all sick? :lol

Welcome home, Jeff & Trudy!

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Welcome to your new home Jeff and Trudy, I am very happy to hear you made it safe and sound. Can't wait to hear the rest of the trip and see pictures of your new home. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I tried to prepare myself for the worst.. (hope for the best, prepare for the worst) buy Kodiak is much worse that I could have ever imagined. This place seems to be a huge craphole. Like a huge slum. I really can't imagine people enjoy living like this. So run down, so crappy. I have a 'reasonable' standard of living, and this place sure does not meet it, not even close. 2 years, is only 2 years, but hold crap!

It is not beautiful, it is a run down slum.

Went by the place we intended to rent, and it was disgustingly filthy. Surrounded by outdoor kennels with unbearable noise. Trash in the yard, and adjoining yards. Fenced but not safe to let the dogs off lead due to debris covered by months of uncut weeds.

Spent a good portion of the afternoon just driving around, and filth is everywhere. Not really any paved residential roads, just potholes everywhere. Unpaved roads may be fine in parts of the country that do not see as much moisture as Kodiak, but they do not do well here at all.

I've been to 3rd world countries that are ten fold better/nicer. It is really that bad here.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

:sad1

Come back... :(

Yeah! come back NOW!

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Yikes!

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

I have been the positive one about this - hoping for something decent, knowing it could be crap and we'd have to deal, but HOPING for at least decent.

We have driven most of the roads east of the base. I haven't found decent yet.

Sure, we've seen some very nice houses, but you look in front, behind or to the left or right and there is a giant **hole next to it. ALL OF THEM. I was told about it and really didn't expect it to be as bad as it was (they tell you not to rent sight unseen, make sure you get pics of the places around it and somebody you trust drives by. We had somebody do that for the house we planned to rent. They thought the neighborhood was decent and outside looked decent. Neighborhood isn't that bad, but the house next door is a bit run down (not bad, but not good either) and what you can't see from the road are the 2 giant outside dogs behind the house with full run of their yard and the other 2 outside dogs stuck in a kennel. Guess you can't hear them either. And you can't tell if they will quiet down when they get to know us and the dogs.

We moved out of our house a week after it was packed up and shipped. But our house was SPOTLESS when we left. The new owners didn't need to do anything other than move their stuff in. Every surface was cleaned and was CLEAN.

This house... there was cat poop IN THE FRIGGEN CLOSET! Now why on earth should I have to clean that when moving into my new house?? Why should I need to scrub the walls and then go get some primer and paint to make them decent? Why should I have to attach lighting fixtures to the ceiling. I didn't make the mess on the stove, I shouldn't need to clean it majorly before I move in. I expect a house to be move in ready, not go get some rubber gloves, a hazmat suit and clean and paint before I move in. I just spent 21 days on the road cooped up in a car with my husband and 2 stinky dogs... we all want to relax, not work our butts off so we can get our house ready to move our stuff in.

We looked at a house 3 houses down from this one - built at the same time. House is in beautiful condition (heck, it's 7 years old, why shouldn't it be in great condition - no recent tsunamis here), but it is about 700sq feet smaller and I just don't know that our stuff will fit.

The potholes here are going to KILL my car - it doesn't need any extra help.

The pretty stuff... yeah, that's all the areas humans haven't trashed yet. We don't get to live there, we get to live where humans have touched and tarnished.

Yes, we were greeted. I was easy to pick out from the crowd. The one running down the stairs of the boat with 2 greyhounds... 1 of which just wanted to get off and 1 of which hadn't peed in 16 hours and was in desperate search of grass. That was the best part of today... greeting came with a welcome to Kodiak gift bag which had some really good cookies in it! If Ryan finds them and eats them, I'm kicking his butt.

Waiting 2+ hours to get our car off the boat was great fun. So glad the dope who had a huge truck and trailer/camper that couldn't be found to get his vehicles off the boat... yeah, I offered to move your vehicle for you and not mind if there were dents created in the process. You held up a lot of people. They finally started moving stuff out around him to get the rest of the passenger vehicles off the boat.

At least it wasn't raining like it had been for the past few days here.

But I've not lost all hope... we get to explore the west side of base tomorrow!

Where there are sides you need to worry about if you get sun at all in the winter (mountain blocks any sun) or if the well freezes.

Yeah, great times!

I want to say it can't get any worse, but.....

I tried to prepare myself for the worst.. (hope for the best, prepare for the worst) buy Kodiak is much worse that I could have ever imagined. This place seems to be a huge craphole. Like a huge slum. I really can't imagine people enjoy living like this. So run down, so crappy. I have a 'reasonable' standard of living, and this place sure does not meet it, not even close. 2 years, is only 2 years, but hold crap!

It is not beautiful, it is a run down slum.

Went by the place we intended to rent, and it was disgustingly filthy. Surrounded by outdoor kennels with unbearable noise. Trash in the yard, and adjoining yards. Fenced but not safe to let the dogs off lead due to debris covered by months of uncut weeds.

Spent a good portion of the afternoon just driving around, and filth is everywhere. Not really any paved residential roads, just potholes everywhere. Unpaved roads may be fine in parts of the country that do not see as much moisture as Kodiak, but they do not do well here at all.

I've been to 3rd world countries that are ten fold better/nicer. It is really that bad here.

Wow!! That seriously sucks Jeff. :(

Can y'all find some place else to live?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Wowsy, wowsy wowser. :unsure I am SO sorry. I knew this change would probably be a challenge for you both; I had no idea it would be disgusting. No chance of getting your potential landlord to get the place cleaned up? Good luck finding somewhere else if you decide to go that way. If not, maybe you can throw a "get acquainted painting and pizza party" and invite the greeters? They must all know your pain, right? I really hope things get better!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

It's amazing what some renters will do or leave behind when they leave. My parents owned apartments when I was growing up. No matter how hard we tried, we still ended up with some real jackasses.

I hope you can work something out.

already been looking at/for other places to live. That will continue through the weekend and beyond. Not a lot of rentals here though. Sent the original owner pictures, so we'll see what happens and in what kind of time frame.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Well, maybe at the very least you can negotiate several months rent in exchange for having to make the place habitable.

Not really what you want to do nor what you should have to do, but it's an option.

Where are you in the meantime?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Maybe you can hire one of these guys and deduct it from the rent?

janitorial services