Penny Suffered Heat Stroke This Weekend

Guest BradyzMommy

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please get better soon Penny. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thanks for the update, Steph...you know we're still thinking of you guys :hope :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

How scary!

Feel well soon, Penny!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest jade1046

What an awful thing to have to go through! So glad to hear Penny is doing better and I will keep her in my thoughts today.

This is something all of us should be aware of, especially with the heat waves we've been having. I'm curious as to how long Penny was loose before you were able to get her. From your post it doesn't seem like she was out for very long, so apparently it doesn't take much for heat stroke and foot damage to occur in hot weather. That is so scary!

Sending gentle hugs to Penny and good wishes to your family. :bighug

Guest guinness_the_greyt

oh no... just seeing this. Sending lots of love and prayers for beautiful Penny! :grouphug

How wonderful that strangers tried to help get her home safely! You don't find that everyday!

Update Sun @ 8:44 PST

The vet just called and informed us that she urinated and there was no sign of blood. That is a very very good sign.

Penny is undergoing Heparin treatment to increase the number of platelets in her blood.

So glad to hear she is doing so much better... prayers still coming your way.

Guest sweetgsmom

Oh Steph! When Sharon called my heart just dropped, I am so glad to hear she is doing better. Many Prayers going out for Penny and for you and DH.

Glad to hear there is no blood in her urine now! You are probably in process of getting her transferred to your vet today. Our thoughts and prayers are still with you! A life changing 15-20 minutes! I have done so much researching on Dog Heat Stroke in the last 2 days! I don't think any of us knew how fast it can happen and how serious it is until Saturday with Penny. Keep us posted please!!!

The Girls

Just seeing this! OMG, Stephanie!! What a nightmare!!

Gentle hugs to Penny, and calm thoughts to you. That's a real warning about exerting too much in the heat!!

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest BradyzMommy

We transported Penny this morning from the ER vet in Pasadena to our regular vet just downt he street from our house. That hour ride in the car was wonderful!!! She seems like her regular shy but happy self; eating Teddy Grahams from my hand.

Our vet read her medical reports and immediately thought that she was there to be put to sleep. He was shocked and amazed when he actually saw her; she is standing on her own and is alert and reponsive. He said that in all of his years, he has never seen a dog survive the first 24 hours with DIC from heat stroke. He said that only 10% of all cases actually survive. He said that her case is the type of case that vets write articles about in medical journals. He said that she is a miracle. He is keeping her on Heparin and will be re-testing her blood on a daily basis. She will spend her days at his practice and then we will move her to the ER vet for overnight care. Basically, her body is tryign to shut down, but we are all fighting to keep her alive. He warned us that things can change very quickly in these critical cases, but the fact that she made it this far is proof that she is strong.

She isnt out of the woods yet, but she is getting closer. Thank you for all of the positive thoughts and prayers!!!